Kervelo Tilting Trike

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Don't you just love that music!
The rear end looks very similar to the proto-type that I saw Jim riding on last year too.
Juts lay the seat and handlebar back , and you've got another speed demon.
I would also love to see how the have done the gearing in the front hub.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
I found the rear tilting mechanism for this quite intriguing. There's a close up about halfway down the page. It looks to me like it addresses both the centering and suspension needs of a tilting trike rear end. Or am I mistaken?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
The Kervelo makes perfect sense and looks like it would work well.
It has the same appeal and almost the same simplicity as my first-ever bike... a fixie front wheel drive steel tricycle.

However, the Kervelo's not even withing shouting distance of any Cruzbike ever made, as far as efficiency is concerned.
If it were mine, I'd toss the stock frame and put the front end on a very low frame like the Atomic Zombie Marauder.
But that'll never happen because it would be longer, more complex, heavier, less efficient and therefore, slower than either of my Cruzbikes.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have spoken with the makers of Kervelo.
The front "hub" assembly contains an 18-speed Pinion internally geared drive, which I had suspected when I saw the video.
They are still in prototype mode and do not even have pricing yet for full production.
I am trying to get them to build me a hub that I can test with.
But I suspect that just like the "shaft" drive, there will be considerable loss from all the internal gears of the Pinion drive as well as the additional gearing to make everything exist within one hub.
However it is an intriguing design, especially for a low racer type of platform.
Think about it: No chain, no rings, no cassette, no derailleur, no boom to hold the BB. That might make up for some of the inefficiency of the Pinion gears.
Time will tell

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
Isn't the Kervelo crank forward, not recumbent? In layout, it appears to be similar to the Sigma once made by CB, which was advertised as crank forward. I see a lot of crank forwards here that people refer to as recumbent. Are they right & I'm wrong?

Nonetheless, it looks like heel strike with the Kervelo would still be an issue...

1happyreader

zen/child method
I see a lot of crank forwards here that people refer to as recumbent
SSShhhhh the UCI might be listening.
Rigidly defining what is CF will make your head spin with exceptions.( btw I am a Day6 owner and lusted after a Zenetik .

Electra Townie and Day6 have a BB separate and in front of the seat tube, must be CF.
Rans angled the seat tube back and lengthened the chain stays. CF or Seat back? Looks like a classic CF to me !
working cross seminole trail 20120818.jpgtownie.jpgzenetik_11_z.jpg
Can you call these recumbent ?? I vote NO.
Tour-Easy-Classic-feature.png rans stratus.jpg bella.jpg
Tour Easy's, Rans Stratus and Bacchetta Bella I vote Recumbent.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
This is the Sigma, so I guess it'd be categorized recumbent? IIRC, Cruz called it CF...but then, I can't remember what I had for breakfast, so...

cruzbike_Sigma.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
There is no bottom bracket, but the feet move when the steering wheel is moved, so I think it could be the same in the same classification, as a Cruzbike, as a moving bottom bracket front wheel drive recumbent!!!!
BUT not nearly as well designed!!!

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1382840

This article is interesting in the fact that Kervelo went down the I Lean tilt system path as well, but gave it up as unstable when braking!
They have also increased their leaning angle from 30 to 45 degrees, after accidents, and have copied Rapto Trike in using a drum brake as the main tilt pivot and tilt locking device.

The Pinion 18 speed gearbox, will only be 92% efficient per reduction, and I THINK there are only 2 reductions, but still not as efficient as 98% for a derailleur system in ANY gear.

Last edited:

quickbeam

This is the Sigma, so I guess it'd be categorized recumbent? IIRC, Cruz called it CF...but then, I can't remember what I had for breakfast, so...

cruzbike_Sigma.jpg

In my book, if it takes a back rest, it's a recumbent. If it's a regular bike saddle, it is not.