Kervelo Tilting Trike

1happyreader

zen/child method
if it takes a back rest, it's a recumbent. If it's a regular bike saddle, it is not
Ok,,,, what do we call my Day6 ? Definitely not a recumbent, it's a crank forward with a backrest. Lol

working-cross-seminole-trail-20120818-jpg.2077

Robert O

FWD MBB cargo recumbent!

I think it is an amazing concept. The cargo is behind you in an aerodynamic position and very low. Benefits of good visibility and short drive train, too!

It's center-steer, almost more like a lean-steer. There are a set of bars, but they're more just control hangers. The pivot point is under the seat, with the rider's weight pulling the bike back to center. The feedback I've seen is that it is a good concept at low to moderate speed, but may be difficult at high speed. I started building one a few years ago, but ended up going a different direction.

If I were to purchase a bike with similar load carrying capacity I would be most concerned with speeds up to about 25 mph. An efficient, light (for a cargo bike), and aero bike would make load transport easy. As long as it doesn't get dangerously unstable at descent speeds (say around 45 mph) then it would be a great bike.

Robert O

If I were to purchase a bike with similar load carrying capacity I would be most concerned with speeds up to about 25 mph. An efficient, light (for a cargo bike), and aero bike would make load transport easy. As long as it doesn't get dangerously unstable at descent speeds (say around 45 mph) then it would be a great bike.

All of the Pythons are home builts; there are a dizzying array of variations on the central theme, some of them absolutely works of art. The primary site is at http://www.python-lowracer.de/, check out the Python Project Survey for more detailed specs and photos.

quickbeam

45 mph for a cargo bike? Some car trailers get unstable at 45 mph (especially if unloaded). For cargo, I think anything above 25 mph would be fine.

quickbeam

Came across a new video for the Kervelo, they show how they can transform it between bike and trike:

Given the more upright position, with the power stroke going down to the ground instead of parallel to the ground, I would guess there'd be less pedal steer. But not nearly as aerodynamic, or perhaps as comfortable?

They also have prices now (in Euros, before shipping and taxes):
http://www.kervelo-bike.com/shop

I think I'll stick with what I have, for now anyway ... :)

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I had a chance to ride this at the 2016 RCC. It was interesting, but IMHO as a bike mechanic and someone who rides a LOT of different bikes it is not ready for prime time. I didn't get a chance to ride it in bike form, just in its trike arrangement.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I had a chance to ride this at the 2016 RCC. It was interesting, but IMHO as a bike mechanic and someone who rides a LOT of different bikes it is not ready for prime time. I didn't get a chance to ride it in bike form, just in its trike arrangement.

I rode it as well in trike mode; He's put a lot of work into it. When you tilt it feels like it should tilt more and then it starts to hold you up. If it shipped now it would be for a causal sedate rider. Not the rocket boys doing power slides on their tadpole trikes. He was definitely taking lots of notes and I expect it will continue to evolve. I have a lot time on internal gear hubs and that direct drive in very interesting. Could be a lot of applications in the sub 15 mph space if weight is not an issue.

quickbeam

I don't expect that this would ever be something for the racing community. I started with recumbents on a trike, but it was just too low to the ground, the only way to get higher on a trike and be safe on turns (without making it ridiculously wide) is to make it tilt. One of the nice things about a trike is that you can stop at a light or whatever and not even unclip. I biked to my son's soccer game, and the trike made for a comfortable seat to watch the game. I think a trike is for the casual rider who values some convenience and safety in balance over speed.

How does it compare to the feel of the ttrike?

I have to say, I don't get the appeal of trikes (unless someone has a problem with balance, of course). OK, so you don't have to unclip when you stop at a light. Is that it? I don't want to drag around an extra wheel just for that. Am I missing something?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I have to say, I don't get the appeal of trikes (unless someone has a problem with balance, of course). OK, so you don't have to unclip when you stop at a light. Is that it? I don't want to drag around an extra wheel just for that. Am I missing something?
John, I'm sure this wont be for guys like you I, Bob, Larry, etc :).

For example, I see a possible application for someone like my wife. We had trikes about 5 years ago, Catrike 700 and Catrike Expedition. My wife's not a cyclist, she likes to cruz somewhat slow. When she transitioned to 2 wheels, she got faster on flats, but then a lot of hills became off limits to her...balance and speed. On the Catrike she could go as slow as she wanted up the hill without worrying about balance or falling over.

This is perhaps just one example. I think this application of a trike concept has advantages over your standard trikes...one important advantage I can think of is it will corner better. Example, my wife came around a conerner just a tad too fast and rolled off the trail into the raspberry bushes. Scared the living daylights out of me.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you ride a trike - the right one - you can't understand the appeal. It also requires a paradigm shift in how you think about riding. They are not always slower than their two wheel counterparts - so direct comparisons to why one or the other is "better" is moot unless you have specifics. I can ride an old Bike E on a route, but blow myself away in whatever measure you choose on the same route on an ICE Sprint. So...

Its not always about dragging a wheel around - some trikes are far smoother than some two wheelers.

Body leaning out of a hardshell seat on a tadpole in a fast corner at 40mph is an experience unlike no other. Different than downhilling a two wheeler. Not better or worse. Different.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks Rick and Robert. Yeah, makes sense. And you're right, Robert, I've never tried one! Cornering at 40? Scary!

Think GO-Kart. Down hill at 60mph and you can nap if you have faith in your rear tire. It's the uphill at 2 mph that gets to you.