Kickstand for Silvio and Vendetta

jslipscomb

UPSTAND: VERY LIGHT-WEIGHT KICKSTAND FOR SILVIO AND VENDETTA

Most serious bike riders do not have kickstands, presumably because most kickstands are heavy.

UpStand kickstands ( http://upstandingbicycle.com/ ) are extremely light. There are 2 options:
  1. Use 1 UpStand and 1 UpClip (the metal stub on the wheel hub) plus an elastic or Velcro band around the front brake lever. Total weight of 1 UpStand and 1 UpClip all combined (weight of velcro band neglected): 40 grams = 1.4 oz. (!)
    • Thanks to Bruce B. for pointing out this option in his post 2015-09-26 below. I edited my post here to smoothly integrate this option.
  2. Use 2 UpStands and 2 UpClips: Total weight of 2 UpStands and 2 UpClips all combined: 80 grams = 2.8 oz. (!)

Fits all bikes with 700 mm tires, including Silvio and presumably the Vendetta.

Option 1:

1 UpStand and 1 UpClip (the metal stub on the wheel hub) plus an elastic or Velcro band around the front brake lever.
full

full

Option 2:

2 UpStands and 2 UpClips

Photo below shows the Silvio most stable with the UpStands splayed out, front angled forward, back angled back. How much splaying controls the amount of tilt, and can be adjusted at each stop by twisting the short clips.
full

Update: Splayed out UpStands, front forward, back back, needed, else the bike does not lean enough and tends to topple to the right. I have subsequently fixed this by bending the UpClip tabs outward, so the UpStands point directly down (no picture). I like it better. Beware that I have been told that newer tabs are hardened to be more sturdy but break if one attempts to bend them. Older UpClips from 2015 like mine are softer, so mine did not break. I had to bend the rear tab out less, because the rear wheel tended to skitter away with same as front lean; the full lean of the heavy front now keeps the whole bike steady.

Two photos below: Front wheel.
full

full

Two photos below: Rear wheel.
full

full

Experience:

Usually it is faster to lean my bike against something or lay it down. But when I'd rather not, UpStands work great but with some time and fiddling. Putting them on and taking them off is a multi-step process, including unfolding and refolding and being careful, because they bend easily.

Sometimes the magnet inside the UpStand drops down a little. This prevents the UpStand from sticking to the UpClip. Temporary fix: Turn the UpStand upside-down and bang on the pavement to move magnet back.

Speed cost of the weight:

On a website bicycling computer that calculates speed based on weight of the rider plus incline, etc. ( http://bikecalculator.com/veloUS.html ). I ran scenarios that summarize to roughly (and within my range of weights and speeds) that 30 lbs. costs 1 mph uphill regardless of speed. So an extra 30 lbs. reduces a hill climb from 6 mph to 5 mph, or a hill climb of 11 mph to 10 mph. (Wind drag of the UpClips and stowed UpStands not considered.)

Option 1 Speed Cost:
1 UpStand and 1 UpClip, plus an elastic or Velcro band around the front brake lever (weight of the velco or elastic neglected).
Speed cost of the weight: 0.05 inches per second uphill. From the speed/weight calcualation above, the cost of an extra 1.4 oz. works out to about 0.05 inches per second uphill (1.4 mm /sec.). Estimating that half the time is spent climbing, that works out to a loss in one hour of about 8 feet. By comparison, my rides tend to vary by + or - 1 mph depending on attitude and how my legs feel, a loss or gain in one hour of 1 mile. So, a loss in one hour of 8 feet is buried in the noise for me.

Option 2 Speed Cost: :
2 UpStands and 2 UpClips:
Speed cost of the weight: 0.1 inches per second uphill. From the speed/weight calcualation above, the cost of an extra 2.8 oz. works out to about 0.1 inches per second uphill (2.8 mm /sec.). Estimating that half the time is spent climbing, that works out to a loss in one hour of about 15 feet. By comparison, my rides tend to vary by + or - 1 mph depending on attitude and how my legs feel, a loss or gain in one hour of 1 mile. So, a loss in one hour of 15 feet is buried in the noise for me.

Two photos below show UpStands stored for quick access in a Baccetta Brain Box rear seat bag.
full

full

Parts:

Option 1:
1 UpStand and 1 UpClip, plus an elastic or Velcro band around the front brake lever.

$42.00 Total for 1 UpStand plus 1 UpClip, detachable stands.

$0 - $5: Rubber band or other elastic already around the house, or about 10 inches of 2-sided velcr0: hooks on one side, loops on the other.

Option 2:
2 UpStands and 2 UpClips:

$84.00 Total for 2 UpStands plus 2 UpClips, detachable stands.

Last edited:

Bruce B

That is an elegant solution for parking a MMB bike.

In other threads, the use of an elastic or Velcro band around the front brake lever is mentioned as very helpful in stabilizing a parked bike.

jslipscomb

That is an elegant solution for parking a MMB bike.

In other threads, the use of an elastic or Velcro band around the front brake lever is mentioned as very helpful in stabilizing a parked bike.
Thank you sir for pointing this out. So, today I tested the velcro and single-stand option and edited my main entry above, so everything flows smoothly in a single story. Pictures too. And of course, also above, I gave you credit for bringing this option to the discussion.

Last edited:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
UPSTAND: VERY LIGHT-WEIGHT KICKSTAND FOR SILVIO AND VENDETTA

full

Two photos below: Rear wheel.
full

full

I purchased one Upstand which I wanted to place on my front wheel, but discovered that my skewer was way too short. What length skewers are you using and where did you find them? TIA!

twhbent

I actually have the upstand kick stand https://upstandingbicycle.com/ and the click stand http://www.click-stand.com.

The upstand included 2 of the bungee style brake bands while the click stand did not.

Both of the kickstands work best on my Vendetta when placed on the front wheel.

While using the click stand I had to use a spacer purchased from our local hardware store on the front fork to fill the void due to the enclosed style of the fork. My Vendetta front fork is not the drop out style which is found on the df bikes.

For me, the key is using 2 brake bands one on each brake to secure the brakes and prevent movement. I am very satisfied with both. Each design is made in sections and collapse(pull apart) for storage. Each stand also has a small velcro band for securing the stand collapsed for storing.

IMG_1295 (1).jpg Shows both the upstaged(longer) with 2 brake bands and the click stand(shorter) with 2 brake bands, the click stand attachment that installs on the skewer and the aluminum spacer purchased from the hardware store.

IMG_1297 (1).jpg Shows using the click stand with the 2 brake bands
IMG_1299 (1).jpg Show using the upstand with 2 brake bands
IMG_1300 (1).jpg Shows using both the upstand and click stand with 2 brake bands
IMG_1298 (1).jpg How the brake band looks installed

Forgive my dumbness, but with the upstand, which length (26" I think) and which tab (standard quick release, 10 mm, or 12mm)? Did you have to replace the skewer with another, longer one or is the stock one ok?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Forgive my dumbness, but with the upstand, which length (26" I think) and which tab (standard quick release, 10 mm, or 12mm)? Did you have to replace the skewer with another, longer one or is the stock one ok?
Stock works fine