Kickstand Solution

Dano

I grew tired of leaning the Silvio against walls, ladders, hedges, my car, etc. and still having it fall or scratch something :cry: , so I decided to try the 'click-stand' - a folding, aluminum shock-corded pole with a u-shaped bracket on one end. It also comes with brake bands, which keep the brakes on to prevent the wheels from rolling and the bike rolling off the stand. Because of the Silvio's heavy front-end, it needs to be rotated backwards and the brake-band applied before using it as shown in the picture. So far, it has worked out well and is extremely stable.
I have no association with the company other than being a satisfied customer. I am sure some of you can make something similar. I will mount it under the seat-pan instead of carrying it in the pannier as I am doing now.
It is located at http://www.click-stand.com
1539_091975fcca8972b63ca2c4d5b824c257
1539_d089925aedfb29658a200fdf8b52ef01

The click stand looks like a great idea. Are you still happy with it as a solution?

Can you let me (us) know what measurements you supplied to order the stand? And are you happy with the location you chose as the "contact point" for the stand. The Click Stand site asks for:

1. A vertical measurement from the contact point, and
2. The diameter of the contact point tube, see:

http://www.click-stand.com/F.Y.I.html

I can see from your photograph where you've selected as the contact point. I'm just wondering whether it's working out for you, or if there's any fine-tuning you've done with the stand.

TIA

joda76

Measured 29 5/8" for the vertical from the attach point and Tom from Click-Stand built it and then sent me the Classic version.
The Brake-Bands are an essential component and I'm eminently more comfortable with this arrangement than trying to prop my Silvio against anything else.
4550536465_2cee15c9c0_o.jpg
4550616879_ca08470ecc_o.jpg

I exchanged emails with Tom overnight about the Click-Stand. His response was as follows:

<snip>
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the link to Dan's review, and your interest in Click-Stand. He [Dan] ordered a Max-5 with a 1" cradle. He measured the distance to the contact point at 29 3/4". Depending on where you are going to carry the Click-Stand a Max-4 would also work. At that length a Max-4 would fold up to be 9 7/8", and a Max-5 would fold to 8 1/2".

I hope that helps, and thanks,

Tom
</snip>

I guess different tyre sizes might make small changes in the contact point measurement, but I thought others might be interested in Tom's words, now we have John's response too.

I told Tom, that with John also using a Click-Stand, Silvio's were leaning towards the Click-Stand (groan) as the solution ;)

Dano

The click-stand has been great so far and I couldn't be happier. For what it's worth, I also ordered the side-bracket storage mount and mounted it out of sight under the seat pan. It's worked out well, though it is a bit of a hassle to lean underneath while balancing the bike (the brake-bands work great!) and stow it.

I had an epiphany one day and stowed it in the seat-back storage area - a much better solution. I just fold it in half, take off the seat back and store it there as it fits like it was made for it! I was only storing a spare-tube in the seat back anyways, and since I use panniers I put the tube there instead.

At roughly 3 or 4 ounces, it is a great, lightweight and stable solution. And now, it couldn't be easier to get at and store.

Brilliant Dan. You've answered my unasked question, which was "will it fit in the back-seat storage area?"

Obviously it will.

I must say I read Larry's post on rear brakes going soft with some interest. I was late to discovering I had a back seat storage area. D'oh! And, I was stunned to see the brake cable was visible. In my defence I was building my Silvio over Christmas :)

Great find Dan.