Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer for Silvo

kenhardwick

Thinking about buying a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer to use with my Silvio. http://www.kurtkinetic.com/rock-roll-p-112-l-en.html
If I can mount my Silvio on this, I am thinking it would be a great learning and training tool for the Silvio. Would appreciate your feedback on this product and it's use with a Silvio.
Thanks,

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Ken,
It isn't obvious to

Hi Ken,

It isn't obvious to me that this will help anyone to balance on a Silvio who doesn't already know; it certainly won't simulate pedal steer which is an issues for newbies. It doesn't look to me that it would work any less well than any other trainer as a trainer, so if you are so inclined, I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say after trying it out.

Cheers,
Charles

take look at this

The video in the 2nd message of this thread shows a guy riding a Silvio on rollers. Rollers are much better for learning balance and smooth pedelling than trainers.

http://cruzbike.com/vendetta-rollers-instead-trainer

randyspann

Ken -

Ken - I use a trainer in the winter months, same model as they sell here on the cruzbike site. I notice the silvio wanting to sway like it shows in the kinetic video (obviously way much less). But you have to consider that the front (steering) wheel is 'nailed' to the floor so the kinetic rotation piece under the DF front wheel won't help you. I would be wary of the kinetic for the silvio!
Rollers: I used to train on DF with rollers, they require constant focus or you are going to fall off, and you must be ready to quickly put a foot down and catch yourself (with out stepping on the roller frames). I fell a few times and gave it up on the rollers.
Swing trainer: I saw a video of John T. using a trainer with the rear end of the bike suspended via rope to the ceiling. That looked interesting, and something that I would like to try. Don't know if John continued to use the 'swing trainer' as a workout and training aid.

-- Randy

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I have the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer

Hi Ken,
It works well with the Silvio or Vendetta. Not all trainers do, because of the wide dropouts. However, the rocking feature is side-to-side, which is not in the axis that you want for simulating a real ride. So that feature really doesn't add anything. I suggest you get a regular Kurt Kinetic trainer. It will take up less floor space, save money, and work just as well.

I've used the "swing" trainer and it's a good learning tool, especially for beginners, but not something you'll want to keep using. It's good practice to see what type of pedaling makes the rear end swing, and what doesn't. Aftter a short time, however, the rear end isn't swinging at all, so no need to keep it up off the floor with a rope!

Jim

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I am eagerly waiting for the Wahoo KICKR

Just announced at Interbike, it is similar to the Lemond Revolution.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/KICKRPowerTrainer/

There is a video at the link that shows a DF on the new KICKR. I'm not entirely sure you would be able to use a Cruzbike with it - I have sent them a message asking if you could use a Cruzbike with it. Will let you know if I get a reply.

-Eric

kenhardwick

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this !!!!

Sounds like the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer is not the product for me and my Silvio.

Rick Newton

Indoor Trainer for the Silvio - setting it up.

I am setting up a Cyclyops Fluid 2 trainer for the first time. First time using a trainer as well. Due to the skewer issue, can I reverse the trainer like in the first photo? Seems to work, but I am not sure if I can get enough resistance or if it is putting undue pressure on the bike. The forces seem to be the same due to the fork being supported in the same place as in the normal orientation, like the second photo shows.
I knew that the skewer that came with the trainer would be too short. I have read the other thread about using Kurt Kinetic cone adapters with the Silvio skewer. What do you guys think about this orientation? Should I try the normal way and try cone adapters?

IMG_20130505_143658.jpg height: 224px;
IMG_0092.jpg height: 188px;

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
In Silvio 2.0 and Vendetta

In Silvio 2.0 and Vendetta 2.0; the front skewer is now the same as an MTB, where as with earlier models, it was about 10mm wider. This means that all trainers on the market should fit without adaptation. Remember to have the rollers turning in the direction they would when used on a regular bike.

Rick Newton

John - so are you are saying that the orientation shown in the photo above on the left (my setup,) is not good for the trainer?

Rick Newton

I finally did take a closer look at both sides of the dropouts where the skewer passes through and determined that I can remove the skewer and reverse it, and place the trainer in the normal position. No special skewer cone required. I had originally wanted to avoid having to remove the skewer to make removing the bike as easy and quick as possible. The Cyclyops Fluid 2 trainer is perfect for the Silvio. Maria used one for winter training back in 2009 with her Softrider.