Large or standard ?

Niko

I am thinking about getting a Vendetta. I don´t know if i need a standard or large chainstay to achieve similar bb/seat height difference as on my current M5 TiCa. It has the height difference of about 8,5" (22cm). My x-seam is 42" (107cm) and i use 140mm cranks. Any advice ?

Niko

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I am thinking about getting a Vendetta. I don´t know if i need a standard or large chainstay to achieve similar bb/seat height difference as on my current M5 TiCa. It has the height difference of about 8,5" (22cm). My x-seam is 42" (107cm) and i use 140mm cranks. Any advice ?

Hi Niko,

Welcome.

To get as high as an M5 at 42" x-seam you'd need a Large. I'm at 40.5" and my feet aren't that high. There is no official sizing chart for the new V20's but the one for the 2.0
Puts you outside the intended usage of the old design but the new one is much more adjustable. Others have done it.
The side effects are that:

(1) The handlebar will be further back towards your chest to leave room for your legs.
(2) You may be prone to sliding down or off the end of the seat if the feet are really high
(3) Learning may be more complicated; so be sure you are planning to embrace the experience.

Lastly if you are keeping the M5, then be prepared to not ride the M5 for about 3 months; you shouldn't switch between the two platforms during that period. Doing so will prevent you adapting to the V20. Once you are fully adapted you'll be able to switch back and forth and settle in after about 1-2 miles of pedaling. If you try to ride both while learning; we'll probably see your v20 for sale on the forums by fall. After a full season you'll be be able to switch at will.

Silvio-Vendetta_sizing-1.jpg

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Achieving the same crank height as another bike may not yield the same results you are looking for. The power position on a Cruzbike is not the same as other RWD recumbents and the relationship of seat to crank height is important - not just for power output but sight line and handling.

Robert

Niko

Thanks for your helpful answers! I´m happy that i asked, perhaps it´s better to go with the standard. I can try the large one later if needed.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I'm a 41.5" X Seam and bought the standard. The bottom bracket height above seat level is just a tad higher than it was on the bacchetta carbon aero that i had previously. Seems just right on the Vendetta. Just my $0.02.

Niko

Well, i do not tend to use too much time pondering about changing a bike, but this was fast even for me. I got the V20 frameset from Cycles Bentoline, France (i'm in Finland, btw), ordered some parts (from Germany, prices are about 50% cheaper there than in Finland) and used many parts from the TiCa. Today i got the build ready.
I was of course excited to see if it is as difficult as "they" say. For me it wasn´t, for some reason, i did ride 50km already. First i tried to follow the instructions for learning the bike, but it didn´t feel like my thing. The more i tried to think about how it should be done, the more difficult it seemed. So, i thought i´ll just try and ride somewhere, and so i head for the road. The riding isn´t so relaxed yet of course, but it will come with time.
After the first day i like the bike very much already.
Oh, can´t analyze the BB height so critically yet, but it seems just fine, some 8cm lower than on TiCa.vendetta_day1_ 2.jpg

SamP

Guru
Congrats! Some people just hop on and ride, it seems a majority need a nontrivial amount of practice, and a few never manage to ride. You look pretty comfortable.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Well, i do not tend to use too much time pondering about changing a bike, but this was fast even for me. I got the V20 frameset from Cycles Bentoline, France (i'm in Finland, btw), ordered some parts (from Germany, prices are about 50% cheaper there than in Finland) and used many parts from the TiCa. Today i got the build ready.
I was of course excited to see if it is as difficult as "they" say. For me it wasn´t, for some reason, i did ride 50km already. First i tried to follow the instructions for learning the bike, but it didn´t feel like my thing. The more i tried to think about how it should be done, the more difficult it seemed. So, i thought i´ll just try and ride somewhere, and so i head for the road. The riding isn´t so relaxed yet of course, but it will come with time.
After the first day i like the bike very much already.
Oh, can´t analyze the BB height so critically yet, but it seems just fine, some 8cm lower than on TiCa.View attachment 2682
Yeah that was quick, you went from thinking about it to riding it, very quickly. I'm the same way btw, my pondering is usually a few hours before I've talked myself into it. Nice to get a pic too, you will fit in just fine. Yep, not so difficult after all. For me I did the same thing, spent half an hour in the parking lot and was ready to roll. It should be noted however, how much time in the parking lot is defined by each persons ability, present and future. Fast adapter may only need minutes in the parking lot, others many need more time.

Last edited:

ratz

Congrats! Some people just hop on and ride, it seems a majority need a nontrivial amount of practice, and a few never manage to ride. You look pretty comfortable.

Most of the highracer guys I get do just fine and quickly unless someone had previously made them nervous. Always good to see those that just jump on and ride. That group doesn't get enough press.

Niko

Did a 95km ride today. Hands got a bit tired, i still pull too much with them. I even feel the use of the hands in my upper back a few hours after the ride.
The course was a bit hilly at some parts and i got some proof of it´s climbing abilities:) I also got to experience tyre slippage at two of the steepest hills. I had always thought that would only appear in the stories of the "big boys"... But i got up the hill anyway.
Two 28 wheels sure smooth the road imperfections well!
Next i should start looking into ways to carry spare parts, water etc. I have now carried things in some old radicaldesign bags, but they don´t fit too well. First thing is to order the headrest cage mount kit i guess. I also asked cruzbike (via their website´s form, is it working ? they didn´t answer my questions earlier...) about getting a spare slider clamp. The bolt on my clamp had somehow got stuck, when i removed it with force the detent on the "tubular nut" (is that english...) eat away some material from the clamp before the bolt snapped and i got to replace it. Hopefully they can send me a spare at the same time with the mount kit:) It is holding well, the damage isn´t so bad, but it would be nice to have that in perfect condition. I thougth about fixing a proper hand pump under the seat with Sugru and powerful magnets, has anyone tried that ?

Now i´ll have a break in riding it until Monday.

Last edited:

ratz

Did a 95km ride today. Hands got a bit tired, i still pull too much with them. I even feel the use of the hands in my upper back a few hours after the ride.
The course was a bit hilly at some parts and i got some proof of it´s climbing abilities:) I also got to experience tyre slippage at two of the steepest hills. I had always thought that would only appear in the stories of the "big boys"... But i got up the hill anyway.
Two 28 wheels sure smooth the road imperfections well!
Next i should start looking into ways to carry spare parts, water etc. I have now carried things in some old radicaldesign bags, but they don´t fit too well. First thing is to order the headrest cage mount kit i guess. I also asked cruzbike (via their website´s form, is it working ? they didn´t answer my questions earlier...) about getting a spare slider clamp. The bolt on my clamp had somehow got stuck, when i removed it with force the detent on the "tubular nut" (is that english...) eat away some material from the clamp before the bolt snapped and i got to replace it. Hopefully they can send me a spare at the same time with the mount kit:) It is holding well, the damage isn´t so bad, but it would be nice to have that in perfect condition. I thougth about fixing a proper hand pump under the seat with Sugru and powerful magnets, has anyone tried that ?

Now i´ll have a break in riding it until Monday.

Have the Sugru never get around to using it. :)

email support@cruzbike.com I had to get similar replacement parts and they can usually bundle them with other orders

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Way to go Niko - You are looking great - keep up the good riding and be safe!
p.s. Niko's old M5 TiCa is one of my "test bike subjects" now too! Man that was a BIG box from Finland! :eek::D;):)

Niko

Way to go Niko - You are looking great - keep up the good riding and be safe!
p.s. Niko's old M5 TiCa is one of my "test bike subjects" now too! Man that was a BIG box from Finland! :eek::D;):)

It will be interesting to see your test results Larry!:)

Niko, once you feel more relaxed, try moving the handlebar away just a tad. Your arms look a bit more bent then I've found to be comfortable and powerful

Niko

marshall2389, you were right ! On today´s ride i started to feel the handlebar should be more forward. Moved the handlebar fwd a full 3cm. Now it feels better indeed. And i found the more aero position with the hands on the hoods:)

ratz

Every time someone's patience is reward. A Cruzbike get's it's wings.

Niko

Photos are always nice, so i upload a few of my new riding position (sorry for bad quality, burst mode...).
And special thanks to ratz :), inspired by your ideas, i installed today the headrest cage mount with two Topeak Wedge bags and Lupine Rotlicht with the Topeak Xtender. The pump and spare tyres/tools got their place in aerodynamic position under the seat.aeromystista 1.jpgaeromystista 2.jpg

ratz

That's a pretty good looking fit; you might also be sitting 3-5 cmm to far back i the seat; but you are pretty long so that might just a be an illusion. Larry will be by shortly to mention the cranks might be a tad too long to get a great fit. looks like 5-10mm to me