Larry and Gary's Excellent Adventure - Aka Sebring 2015

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thank you Maria for the

Thank you Maria for the update. I look forward to reading details in the blogs and posts. You all were great, whether it be pit support or grinding out the miles. I wondered what happened to Larry towards the end, but still a stellar effort on his part, and of course everyone else involved. What a way to speed the weekend.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Congrats to Mr Oslund and

Congrats to Mr Oslund and maximum respect to his legs.

Fell off, did he? Sometimes, when people see either of my "sitting down" bikes, they make some joke about falling asleep riding. Well, maybe that's what happened in Larry's case. 24 hours is a long time to be awake.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Brief update of my crash

I did crash while on my 3rd to last lap, not fall asleep
I had picked up the pace and wanted to make 3 more laps in under 35 minutes, which I new I could do from the power and speed standpoint. Problem for me was the bad lighting on the racetrack and just not knowing the turns really well.
When attempting to cut the corners closer, I ran off on some severe rumble strips. I think my tires got caught in a grove when trying steer back onto the track. All of a sudden I hit the ground on my right shoulder and slid to a stop.
Someone stopped for me and made sure I was ok.
Did not see any blood - probably couldn't have if I had had any!
Nothing felt broken either. Only problem was back wheel rubbing, so I got back on the bike and finished that lap and then 2 others!

Much thanks again for the support from Gary, Jim, Maria, their daughter and especially Charlie!!!

Had X-rays yesterday - nothing broken. A sore shoulder for sure and possible rotator tear. (Can't life my right arm up without help currently)

I am writing up my notes from the race and will also post them when finished. I also have some great video of the first 4-5 hours of the race and will post that too when I have it all merged with my Garmin Data.

LarryOz

Yeah Eric - It was a little boring

on the first 100 mile loop, and I knew Charlie was back there, so I tried to get a shot with both of us in it!
I was also recording on my VIRB when I went down at the turnaround. (Yes the sand!) - will post that later when compiled.
Of course I wanted to experience everything about the race - sand crash, hi speed crash, wind, cold, darkness, hunger, fatigue, etc)
Of course after the race I swore I would not do the 24 hour again!! I suppose everyone does.
But after watching my video of the track segments, I am pretty sure I can master and memorize it for next year, and get better lights.
Bottom line, I just could not safely ride it much faster than about 18mph, and wanted to do 20+

LarryOz

Bob - Can you rename this thread:

Cruzbiker's excellent adventure.
I certainly do not deserve to have my name it the title - It was more a total Cruzbike effort and updates really anyway!
That being said - It would have been so cool to have all the Cruzbikes riding in a drafting group on the 100 mile or 12 hour drafting.
I think we could have crushed everyone by miles and miles.
A plan for the next event perhaps Jim & Maria???

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
It would have been so cool to

It would have been so cool to have all the Cruzbikes riding in a drafting group on the 100 mile or 12 hour drafting.

...and to have a cool panoramic photo-shot of that for my desktop!

Larry, glad you are okay, hows the bike?! That there is a lifetime adventure to talk about in years to come.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Great ride guys.
Looking at

Great ride guys.

Looking at photos of Larry I cannot be silent. You have got aero wheels, aero chain rings and aero helmet. But your jacket is really wind catcher. I would buy some really tight and aero jacket in your position. Tight clothing can make huge difference in aero drag compared to loose clothing.

Watch this wind tunnel testing video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNGQLi36xc

LarryOz

Thanks Matej and Rick

Bike is mostly OK - still have not had a chance to go over with a fine tooth comb, partly because just hard to put on a jacket, let alone work on the bike. I am able to ride in on the KICKR, so know the RD is ok from the fall!
I think my rear RENN wheel is ruined however. :)
Thanks for the info Matej about clothing drag. That was another dissapoining thing about the setup at Sebring.
They do not make it easy for nighttime support, and Gary had to park about 100 yards from the pit area and then no lighting either to look well for stuff, and climb multiple walls to bring everything back. With a terribly hurting foot he was just unable to haul everyting we had in the trailer and they would not let me bring it closer to unload
In the end we misplaced my first choice of warm clothing, so I just had to put something on.
It is nice to know I have room for improvement in the cold weather gear area. Looks pretty significant from watching that video clip!
Can't wait for next year - will be so much more prepared!

Happyrider

Wow

Wow what a ride guys! Congratulations to Larry and Ben and the whole team. I tried to post a few days ago, but the "cyber filter" blocked me for some reason. Hopefully that has cleared up by now. Anyway since I picked up my V20 from Phillip Mousely today (the V20 with the adjustable on the fly seat incline), I should be posting here soon on my progress in learning to ride it. With of course a picture of me on it for Charles, though Phillip has already posted plenty of photos of this particular V20. I guess Ratz was right; I didn't wait until August to get my V20. Now I'm itching to get out this weekend and see how hard it's going to be to transition from my Bacchetta Aero to the V20. If it can give me just one Larry leg (!!!), I'll be super pleased.

LarryOz

Way to go Jeffrey!

I am very exited for you. You are just going to love the V!

I can't believe it has now almost been an entire week since the 24 hour race.
My shoulder is still quite sore (Of course it would help if I would stop slipping on all this ice and re-injurying it!)
With my right "wing" not working like it should, it has taken me a while to put together my personal journal on my 24 hour ride at Sebring. It is in the editor's office right now (wife's that is) - hoping to send it out soon to the group.
I also have some pretty cool first hand videos of the Sebring racetrack in the early morning hours to share.
Very soon I hope!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
On any other HPV, one

On any other HPV, one Larry leg would be better than none. Riding a Cruzbike with one Larry leg would make you go round in circles.