Larry's Ride report from 2015 12 hour Calvin's Challenge

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Nice read, but better yet great job! Just think what you will be doing once you're all patched up!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Epic.
Just epic!

Gary...deserves...more...than...a...medal!

Just sayin...
Such a great story Larry, thanks for writing it down and sharing it with us all!

jond

Zen MBB Master
wow larry what a fine fantastic ride report. as i read the report i was riding along with you willing you on past those DF riders. gary is a real trooper. patching your posterior larry. supporting all the guys and gals information officer. yes he deserves more than a medal. deep abiding respect gary. congratulations team truly a great story of cycling humanity. thanks for sharing.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry "YOU ARE THA MAN!!!!""

Brilliant ride and report!!!
A brilliant bike, but an even better rider training and preparation!!

found a pic of Larry from a few years ago:
reign198.jpg

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks everyone.
Here is a rather funny video clip I made (from actual footage shot while racing during the Calvin's 12 hour event) of how to NOT ride in a peleton.
It is probably what helped me win. It was obvious that I did not know what I was doing so no one paid any attention to me.
Notice how I had to completely stop (and went from first to last) to get my bottle of fuel.
Enjoy:

I do have footage for the entire first 50.5 mile loop that I am putting together to for whoever is interested in a nice "training" video. About 130 minutes long. Will post when done.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Seriously can't believe you were able to ride 12 hours, at that level, with efforts like that mixed in.
Nice work.
And way to work out the mistakes/failures/faults etc and just keep on keepin' on. Color me impressed.

Thanks everyone.
Here is a rather funny video clip I made (from actual footage shot while racing during the Calvin's 12 hour event) of how to NOT ride in a peleton.
It is probably what helped me win. It was obvious that I did not know what I was doing so no one paid any attention to me.
Notice how I had to completely stop (and went from first to last) to get my bottle of fuel.
Enjoy:

I do have footage for the entire first 50.5 mile loop that I am putting together to for whoever is interested in a nice "training" video. About 130 minutes long. Will post when done.
Imagine what you will be able to do when you get some more race experience. Very impressive!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Clearly you need more bottle holders. :)

More amazing is the number of DF riders with incredibly poor fitting bikes; I'm always amazed at the number of people over extending their legs

Bruce B

I watched that clip three times. My eyes were going left and right as I watched the parameters on the screen. Impressive to see you quickly get on your power and cadence and see your HR rapidly accelerate with the effort. Your MPH tells us your speed but seeing you fly by the rest of the peloton - I'll bet that was fun.

jond

Zen MBB Master

More amazing is the number of DF riders with incredibly poor fitting bikes; I'm always amazed at the number of people over extending their legs
hi larry perhaps your tactic was to be as light as possible early on and then collect your fuel bottle???

it may have been better (how can you best a wonderful win? :) ) to start out with a full load in your gut one hour before your race started and fuel load on the bike. that way you can settle into your rhythm and settle the nerves. no matter how many of these races or rides you do you will likely always be nervous albeit with less issue the more experienced you get. without doubt every early start always leaves your stomach somewhat churned. this tends to disappear after a couple of hours of habit riding :) .

ratz i dont think leg extension was the only thing the DF rideres were overextending :)

LarryOz

Thanks Lief, Abbott, Bruce, Ratz, Rick,
Yes the hand-off did not go well, but the fault was mine - I told Gary I would call him when I was close, but my phone was not working and I just showed up on the horizon doing 25. Sorry about that Gary!
All the other hand-offs went off great, plus there was a lot less people in the group to worry about too.
Lots of little mistake her and there, but nothing so big that I couldn't recover thank goodness!
Yes - it was quite exhilarating to pass everyone like that! Yes, and I pushed it a little and may have burned a match or 2, but even that effort was something that I tried to train for.
The week before I crashed at the track and got my road rash, I rode at a slightly higher level for 140 minutes straight with not a rest, than I just did in that catch for only 1 minute, so I did not feel I overloaded myself at that point.

LarryOz

Ratz, I've got room to carry 5 bottles and can easily go about 5-6 hours on them, but we decided I should only carry 2 to lighten the load and always take 1 every 25 miles and have one for backup.
Of course I lost the backup on lap 3 - bummer. I'll need to improve the quiver to hold them better.

Cruzbike Chris

Friggin awesome write up and video Larry. You are a MANchine! I guess not ever seeing a Qring up close I was mesmerized more by the funny rotation the first time I saw the video and had to watch is several more times just to see the rest of the stuff on screen, speed, power, rpm, cadence and HR. The passing of that many DF's had to be the hi light of the day, for you not them. I would have loved to hear the murmuring under their breath when they all passed you and then again when you blew by them....Gary you are the greatest friend a rider could ever have, medals would not do justice! Congrats again Larry and all you riders and support team members, what a great BRANDING opportunity for Cruzbike once again. They say your brand is a promise to your customers, what to expect, who you are and who you want to be, I do believe this captures it in real life------Winners all of you!

Happyrider

Larry, what can one say... you are in a class alone. I think a lot of people are going to get a good look at the rear of your V! Awesome write up Larry. Almost as good as being there. And the video of you passing the entire peleton, well you got to live all of our dreams. Bravo! And bravo to the whole team and to Gary for such outstanding support.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry, watching your video as you CRUZED past the DF riders, at 26 mph (42 kph) and 27 mph (43.2 Kph) you seemed to be averaging 260 and 280 watts, and as soon as you got back into the Cruzbike pace line at 24 mph (38.5 kph) it dropped to 110 watts. Is the effect of a peloton that much or hadn't you stabilized your speed and power?

LarryOz

Is the effect of a peloton that much or hadn't you stabilized your speed and power?
I don't think the effect of the peleton is that much. In my testing, I can usually maintain 25mph on about 200 watts with those wheels. When I recently did a 100K on an enclosed track I was able to maintain close to 27 on about 230. So, I would say I had not stabilized yet, and in essence had some stored up momentum that I let trickle down as I slipped into the pace-line. I went back and looked at the data for that stretch. Garmin has my average during the 50 second or so chase at 288 watts. I think it is higher than would normally be to maintain the average speed because of the power that it also took to accelerate from the slower speed.

KiwiGuy

Hey Larry

Huge congratulations to you for this magnificent achievement. Well done.

Congratulations also to Maria for another outstanding result. And kudos to Gary and Jim for their support.

Thanks for sharing your write-up of the event, and the video.

Kind regards.... Blair