Larry's Ride report from 2015 12 hour Calvin's Challenge

KiwiGuy

Hey Larry

Huge congratulations to you for this magnificent achievement. Well done.

Congratulations also to Maria for another outstanding result. And kudos to Gary and Jim for their support.

Thanks for sharing your write-up of the event, and the video.

Kind regards.... Blair

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Larry, nice video.
I would say that you need to train riding in peloton. You are really far from Ben's rear wheel on end of the video. We can go with my friends as close as we are nearly touching rack with bag or tailbox of first bike with cranks. I have accidentaly touched it few times. But only softly without any crash.
EDIT: I know it is a lot dificult to ride close to bike without any rear fender and rack.

I am suprised by clothes of a lot DFs. They have got pricey Zipp wheels but loose flapping jerseys. They are losing more power by flapping jersey than gaining by Zipp wheels.

Last edited:
Larry, nice video.
I would say that you need to train riding in peloton. You are really far from Ben's rear wheel on end of the video. We can go with my friends as close as we are nearly touching rack with bag or tailbox of first bike with cranks. I have accidentaly touched it few times. But only softly without any crash.
EDIT: I know it is a lot dificult to ride close to bike without any rear fender and rack.

I am suprised by clothes of a lot DFs. They have got pricey Zipp wheels but loose flapping jerseys. They are losing more power by flapping jersey than gaining by Zipp wheels.
Very interesting snilard. Be very curious to see the difference clothing makes on a V. I feel like a walrus in a tube sock in a club cut jersey so I won't be switching to race cut anytime soon. :confused:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Very interesting snilard. Be very curious to see the difference clothing makes on a V. I feel like a walrus in a tube sock in a club cut jersey so I won't be switching to race cut anytime soon. :confused:
I was testing Specialized tight jersey and I like it. But it is for DFs, so pockets on wrong side. I have got this tight jeresy on wish list, but V is higher.
My actual jersey is not as tight as that from Specialized, but I cannot say that it is loose. And I like its pockets. I have got this jersey http://www.kangaroo.si/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55 .

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My actual jersey is not as tight as that from Specialized, but I cannot say that it is loose. And I like its pockets. I have got this jersey http://www.kangaroo.si/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55 .

These are cut pretty much just right for no Bent Aero flapping and the pockets are in the right places and the collar isn't made for a road bike.

http://www.benditcycling.com/Neon-Flame.html
http://www.benditcycling.com/High-Voltage_p_38.html

and last years design was on sale and has a few more sizes.

http://www.benditcycling.com/Neon-Flame_p_183.html

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey, I watched the whole video... Not really into competition but like beating my personal best as it makes me think I am performing better. Larry, I am impressed with your speed. Would love to go 8 mph faster but have a number of issues. Typically carrying too much weight. Bag of goodies in the back. Humming in my ears due to wind buffeting and today... probably due to the bright orange shirt attracting a great big black bee buzzing in my ear; probably thought that I was some sort of giant flower. Guess their might be a helmet that covers the ears? Anyways... it didn't have time to sting me as the airflow bounced him out. Guess I will have to change the wheel set out in order to be carbon. Well addicted to this Vendetta experience. The Vendetta V2.0 (latest version) can take the 28mm 700c Compass Chinook Pass tyres on front and back. Front wheel was a real pig to put back on as the tie wrap snapped and the derailleur and chain fell everywhere. Fortunately when everything put together with the new tyres there was enough clearance - thanks Rick for the tip). First tyre changed caught the inner tube and the inner tube blew up whilst being inflated. Really would not want that happening whilst riding along at speed. So much pressure released it made the tyre pop off the wheel. I noticed more stability with this tyre, guess its more broader than most.

Absolutely a great ride today. Does anyone know if the Vendetta V20 still has the same issues with the derailleur?

Sending Larry wishes for the mend.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I ordered these Vite Racing Jerseys from Jakroo. They are also bent cut, with pockets in front. The mockup does not show the pockets correctly. But if you look at John in the blue shirt below you can see the front zippered pockets.

JAHA-1412-Tour-4-APP1.jpg

JAHA-1412-Tour-GBY-large.jpg

11162039_10205672586427687_8819708429001945196_o.jpg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I just ordered one of those Racing Jerseys... guess that makes me a competitor... they look really good and I have been looking around for a pocket in the front for ages. Thank You!

I like Underarmor heatgear shirts. Basically the same fit as a jersey, great wicking, 30-50 UPF. The armourvent ones have a mesh material in the back for even more cooling power against the seat. No pockets though.

I was testing Specialized tight jersey and I like it. But it is for DFs, so pockets on wrong side. I have got this tight jeresy on wish list, but V is higher.
I find that even traditional bike jersey pockets work on the narrow V20 seat. I'm using both outer pockets on my ADA jersey without problem.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am watching the Giro D'Italia with the team Time Trials, and boy are they close to each other! 51kph (31.9 mph) speed.
What a stunning bike track that used to be a single track train track!
AND the AUSSIES Won it!!!
They were the most disciplined with a straight CLOSE line and loner stays on the front so only one rider slipping to the back at a time!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yes - it is amazing how close those pros get. I think it is a little easier to get closer on DF, mostly because of the visibility.
Way to go Aussies!
Just think how much faster they would be if they got off those "old-fashioned" bikes and onto a recumbent! :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry when you were CRUZING past the DF riders in a Congo line, did you notice any of their power readings?
Have you SLOWED down and ridden next to a DF rider with a power meter, while telling him the virtues of the V.
How much less was your power compared to his for the same speed?

Have any other Crubike riders especially a Silvio V1.0 ridden next to a DF and compared power meter readings

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry when you were CRUZING past the DF riders in a Congo line, did you notice any of their power readings?
No I didn't, but that would be a great thing to do. I'll have to remember to try that for next time!
Great idea!

ratz

No I didn't, but that would be a great thing to do. I'll have to remember to try that for next time!
Great idea!

That's only going to tell you so much because weight is a big factor below 21mph. If you get up to 27 mph it will be much much more indicative; but my experience has been that most DF riders aren't able to talk at 27mph unless they are freewheeling. o_O

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Thanks everyone.
Here is a rather funny video clip I made (from actual footage shot while racing during the Calvin's 12 hour event) of how to NOT ride in a peleton.
It is probably what helped me win. It was obvious that I did not know what I was doing so no one paid any attention to me.
Notice how I had to completely stop (and went from first to last) to get my bottle of fuel.
Enjoy:

I do have footage for the entire first 50.5 mile loop that I am putting together to for whoever is interested in a nice "training" video. About 130 minutes long. Will post when done.
Larry, sorry if I missed it, but what technologies are you using to display RPM and MPH on a video?

ratz

Larry, sorry if I missed it, but what technologies are you using to display RPM and MPH on a video?

That's "virb edit" free from Garmin; takes a a fiddling around with to figure out how to make it work; after about 2-3 videos it gets pretty much second nature.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I find that even traditional bike jersey pockets work on the narrow V20 seat. I'm using both outer pockets on my ADA jersey without problem.
Yes they do! I 'm back to using the traditional jersey on the Silvio because the two outside pockets make for perfect water bottle holders when using the stock two piece seat. Try it some of you may like it!