Legs too short to flintstone

My sister is about 5'2". She has tried my Q559 but isn't comfortable riding for long since she can't flintstone. Both of her feet do not touch the ground at the same time. I thought maybe someone might have an idea or two. She has ridden around the block but hasn't leaned back in the seat. I guess the solution is a shorter tire?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My sister is about 5'2". She has tried my Q559 but isn't comfortable riding for long since she can't flintstone. Both of her feet do not touch the ground at the same time. I thought maybe someone might have an idea or two. She has ridden around the block but hasn't leaned back in the seat. I guess the solution is a shorter tire?

Yeah that's almost the domain of a 451 or 406 size wheel. If someone that height were buying one that's the direction I'd push them as in a custom build.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I guess the solution is a shorter tire?
Yes, that'll drop the seat height. My under-5' niece was able to ride my Q451 easily before I swapped to 507 (24") wheels. @Gunnstein did a nice QX100 build with 406 wheels recently.

I looked at your old posts and saw where you wanted to get rid of the DualDrive on the Q559 anyway. Going to a 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 wide-range drivetrain would make it even easier to change out wheelsets.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
1005829d1438465185-talk-me-about-platform-shoes-high-heeled-cycling-shoes-680x319.jpg

Yes, that'll drop the seat height. My under-5' niece was able to ride my Q451 easily before I swapped to 507 (24") wheels. @Gunnstein did a nice QX100 build with 406 wheels recently.

I looked at your old posts and saw where you wanted to get rid of the DualDrive on the Q559 anyway. Going to a 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 wide-range drivetrain would make it even easier to change out wheelsets.
Yes, I haven't done it yet. I am leaning towards a 1 x 10 or 11. I've been riding my S30.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I have the 1x10 on my Silvio...42 x 11-42. Plan on going to 1x11 ...42 x 10-42.
This kind of flew right over my head... Wasn't paying that much attention and was not hip to what 1x was. I guess I've been out of the loop too long. I just did some investigating and.... COOL! Mostly, I ride my 42 with an occasional shift to the 52 on downhills and occasionally, a shift down to the 30 on steep stuff. This might be right up my alley!

Mark

So, could I leave the 559 on the rear and change the front to a 451?

Use a 42 x 10-42 and upgrade the shock also. I think I'll change to trigger shifters instead of the twist grip shifting. The grips keep separating just a tad.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
So, could I leave the 559 on the rear and change the front to a 451?
Theoretically, yes; but having different sized wheels changes the trail, and quickens the steering. At least according to this post on BROL from seven years ago. That whole thread is a good read.

I tried riding mine once with the 451 front/507 rear. I noticed a slight difference in the handling, that I imagine would be exacerbated by a larger wheel-size difference.

Theoretically, yes; but having different sized wheels changes the trail, and quickens the steering. At least according to this post on BROL from seven years ago. That whole thread is a good read.

I tried riding mine once with the 451 front/507 rear. I noticed a slight difference in the handling, that I imagine would be exacerbated by a larger wheel-size difference.
Thanks, I'll read the thread.

Tom Roberts

I have the 1x10 on my Silvio...42 x 11-42. Plan on going to 1x11 ...42 x 10-42.
Rick, Could you tell me where you purchased the components for your 1x setup? Also, it would be helpful if you listed the components used. I.e. BB, Cranks, bifters, etc.
Thanks

RAR

Rick, Could you tell me where you purchased the components for your 1x setup? Also, it would be helpful if you listed the components used. I.e. BB, Cranks, bifters, etc.
Thanks
Tom,
I'm using all MTB components now, if you want to try one by on the cheap, " like I did", you can put a narrow wide chainring in the small ring position on your crankset and take the front derailleur off so it's not in the way, enabling you to utilize the components you have now.

My current drive train and components;
150 mm Rival cranks from....bikesmithdesign.com, with included BB
Race Face narrow wide 42 T ...110 BCD..,artscyclery.com
MTB270- hub with Sram XD driver...BikeHubStore.com
Sram GX 1x11 RD long cage and GX trigger shifter...competitivecyclist.com
Sram PC-X1 11 speed chain...universalcycles.com
Tektro brake levers, calipers, rotors, adapters...trpbrakes.com
Sram 10-42 11 speed cassette... competitivecyclist.com