Let the V20 build begin

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I just received my V20 in a nice medium sized box from Taiwan.
It was very nicely and tightly packed for transport.
I will lay out and photograph all the pieces tonight and post them for my build diary.

LarryOz

yep, like Christmas - here is everything

After the unpacking and up-wrapping:
The color of the frame is an extremely nice red metal flake.
The pictures on the web site just do not do it justice.
The fork and the chain-stay are a glossy jet black and the boom is a satin black. (not too wild about them at this time)
But, I think I understand why Cruzbike decided to make the fork and boom black: so that they could be interchangeable between the S and V. Easier for production and probably for costs too.
But I personally think is takes a little away from the individuality of each bike.
As a few have mentioned, they really liked the large yellow front boom and the polished boom extension - It gave the V a special image.
I tend to agree, but life must go on.... or must it??
For me, I am considering a "small" change to the coloring of the front end to accentuate the uniqueness of the V20....
No details now, because I am not sure...but nothing is out of the realm of possibility at this point.... will post when done..
Below are a few pictures of the frame and associated parts that came in the box.
Thanks also to everyone for all their suggestion for the ultimate V build.
I have considered many options and taken to heart many wonderful suggestions.
I almost have all the components in, and will Inventory them and post photos of them next.
So... let the build begin... and who knows it might even be done by Christmas, or at least I am hoping - by Sebring 2015!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Sparkly

Cool that's the same metal flaking I used on the Green Quest; that's gonna pop in the sun light. You are right now photo ever does that justice but that close up shows it off nicely.

Not the same fork though, the Silvio one has suspension.... At least until Jim can get John in a head-lock wrestling move :) But since Steve put the V nose on the Silvio we know they are interchangeable.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Stay down under John - He

Stay down under John - He can't put you in a head-lock while he's sleeping!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
paint

While I agree that the painted boom on the last version is awesome, the new slider and boom is not suited to paint as easily. The last V painted boom was fixed - nothing slid against it. The new boom goes inside the slider and if it were paint would scratch easily. The slider is designed to adjust more freely at the pivot clamp and moving it back and forth would scratch.

KiwiGuy

Buffing the tubes to an alloy finish

Hi Robert

I notice that the Vendetta pictured on your website has the boom with the paint removed and buffed to a bright alloy finish. I like the look much better than the all black front-end now on the V20. http://www.rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/

Did you need to put a clear coat over the alloy to prevent corrosion?

And is that approach possible with the V20? That is, how easy (or otherwise) would it be to remove the paint from the fork, boom and slider and buff it to a bright alloy finish?

Kind regards...

LarryOz

removing paint from front fork and boom

Yes, very nice look. Love the folk chrome look, which the buffing appears to provide.
My powdercoat guy said he could strip all the paint for about $60 (so not that hard I guess), and then buff the aluminum to a bright alloy finish.
I might try that??

He also said if you did not want any corrosion, that it would be best to do a clear coat over it once you got it buffed to what ever level you liked..

Other option is to put the bike together, and get the boom to the right location for your size.
Then have it painted to match, since you probably would not have to be sliding the boom around any longer.
Either way, I think the black is on its way on my my V20... Adios...
Those appear to be to 2 viable options at this point.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
On Polished Aluminum

$60 is a banging deal for a strip and polish! I have owned a Cannondale that was a bare polished finish, and while it was a beauty, it would quickly become dull with use. Clearcoat preserves the surface like we've seen with the previous Vendetta's fork, but not everyone knows how to apply a clear that will adhere permanently to a polished surface.

An option is a product called Zoop Seal. We used to use it on our motorbikes to keep the shiny bits shiny. One guy had a polished fuselage WWII spitfire and he swore by it to keep his plane's mirror like finish.

Anyway...

Larry, that is a lovely bike indeed. Cruzbikes always are more stunning when are able to touch them. No photo, except for Ivan's and Rick's, really do the bikes justice. Oh, then there's Rob from Rose City Recumbents with his POV action shots, but I digress.

I remember the first time I saw a Vendetta. Actually there were three lined up in a garage and I was almost star-struck. It was like meeting a celebrity.

I can't wait to see how your V20 comes along. Please do post plenty of photos for us.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Kiwiguy -
That is an early

Kiwiguy -

That is an early version 1 Vendetta that I had repainted. It is actually a different red than the V20. I only had the boom and frame redone - it is the old slider and fork.

Robert

LarryOz

Robert - I see you even had

Robert - I see you even had the seatpan painted - Nice touch!
Was the seatpan CF back in V1.0 days?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Version 1 Vendetta

"That is an early version 1 Vendetta that I had repainted."
That's what I'm talking about...I'd love to get my hands on an original Vendetta. I love the look of the angular frame.

IMG_7858.jpg

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Seatpan

"Was the seatpan CF back in V1.0 days?"
I can answer this one...the original Vendetta's seat was pressed alloy and was an integral part of the frame; just like the original Silvio.

WP_20141127_001%5B1%5D.jpg

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Larry,Did you just say "back

Larry,
Did you just say "back in the day"?
My oh my, technology (and Bike iterations) move quicker than ever these days.

My Silvio 1.0 is my brand new bike!

KiwiGuy

Paint options

Hi Larry

I was gutted when the new V20 came out in a red frame - partly because I thought that Cruzbike had already created a unique look with the yellow frame and buffed alloy for the Vendetta which contributed significantly to it's brand position (so I'm still struggling to understand the brand strategy that has driven the change), partly because I perceive the whole red thing as predictable and passe (I've ridden red bikes for 15 years so I'm over the red is faster idea), and partly because I didn't expect a colour change and had all my build mentally sorted for the previous look. So the new approach really threw me.

However, thanks to your photos, it appears that there may be some merit in retaining the red frame. The metal flakes in the paint add a level of interest that I wasn't't expecting. One option might be to paint the chain stay the same red (provided you can ascertain the paint colour) - it is far enough removed from the frame that the different batch shouldn't be noticed. Then strip the fork, boom and slider and buff to a polished alloy. The only concern I have with that is that the Vendetta 2.0 had a beefy boom which looks substantial (like a 44mm watch on your wrist), while the new boom less impressive (like a 36mm watch on your wrist). So when stripped and polished the new boom and slider might not look as good as Robert's bike does.

Given that it now appears likely that Cruzbike will change frame colours when they do model updates, the other option is to go with a colour that you really like (as Andrew and Bentaero have done with their bikes). For example, I have a strong preference for a version of the Silvio colour scheme. White frame and fork, black boom and slider, with red highlights (e.g. red bar tape, red hubs, red striping on the boom, and a custom designed Vendetta logo in white and red on the boom).

I'm looking forward to finding out which way you decide to go. Good luck with your decision making.

Kind regards...

LarryOz

Lief, you said
Did you just

Lief, you said
Did you just say "back in the day"?
My oh my, technology (and Bike iterations) move quicker than ever these days.

My Silvio 1.0 is my brand new bike!
I am guessing you mean your Vendetta 1.0 is your brand new bike?

Blair:
Thanks for the insight and ideas.
I too still think the original big boom is the BOMB! I even have an extra boom (the one that got 1" cut off by the bike shop of the original owner) I might just use it and paint it red and fabricate a new slider for it - who knows! :)
Great idea about the just painting the chainstay and buffing everything else too. So many options, so few bikes!

I just dropped off all to black parts to be stripped and buffed out. So hopefully by Monday I will see what they look like and go from there. I have asked Cruzbike for the paint codes. Once I get them, I can see if the powdercoater can match them up.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The major advantage of the

The major advantage of the big boom was if you did paint it; it was big enough to put messages on it to the roadies you are tail gating. I was thinking that "yup still here" in bold letters right on the nose would be hilarious.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Larry,
No I meant my

Larry,

No I meant my Silvio 1.0.
I was trying to be cute. :)

It just doesn't seem to me that very much time has passed between when I got that bike and now.
But since then there have been Silvio 1.5, Silvio 2.0, Silvio S30, and nevermind the introduction/iterations of the entire Vendetta line.
In some ways I'm glad I didn't have to make the choice when I bought in - it would have been REALLY tough to convince my wife I needed either of them when I would be so hard-pressed to choose between them.

And, FWIW - I'm uber fortunate enough to have a Vendetta 2.0 (maybe I should do the signature thing?).
That sweet yellow ride you see me all-blurry-like in my avatar is actually Robert's bike - we both run CrankBro's pedals and only an inch or so different in height - so he was very gracious let me borrow it for one run in Portland last Memorial Day.

Wowie - that was sweet. - good memory. Thanks again Robert!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yes that was the last

Ah yes that was the last weekend before I had it repainted. :)

For those interested the paint code for the V20 is YS-751. It is a Metallic. There is of course never a guarantee of a 100% match.