Let the V20 build begin

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Good Summary Robert

Good Summary Robert, I don't think anyone would have expected Cruzbike to endorse such a modification. The Legal implications alone make that impossible. I love that people will experiment; and share it. Sometimes it's going to go sides ways. I'm impressed that most of the feedback was kind and concerned; that makes this place unique.

As for the love it hate it on the boom; that's so easy to understand; Those that had be lusting for a Vendetta had the old bike in mind. If they lusted for it; then they liked it and the change is going to be disappointing because they now can't get the one that they lusted for. Those that thought it was ugly now have have that solved and can start lusting for it. Group A will recover eventually. 10% will find something else the rest will stay and the market is bigger and we all win.
rounding out the holes at the pivot clamp under stress of riding
Best reason I've heard for the change; and something the rest of us on the old version will now take note of and do things to prevent.

Anodizing the tube is probably the part that throws everyone; high end bikes don't have anodized parts; and those that do cover them with bar tape. It makes sense for the durability of the tube; but I know I would love to have a "buy up" option to get a non-anodized version. Perhaps that will make the future road map.

Cutting the Steer tube is pretty much the industry standard for ALL bikes. However, with DF bikes you can buy 1 of a thousand new forks. if you are going to make that the setup style; please carry an inventory of spare forks. To my mind, if we have to cut a part to make it fit; then we should be able to buy a replacement component without inventory being an issue; a steering extending is always an option but it shouldn't be the only option. The number 1 fear of anyone buying these bikes is the sourcing of spare parts; bike falls over; FD smacks wall and FD Stem cracks, can I buy a new chain stay? Spare parts is the only thing that ever gives me pause. To date I've gotten great support; but I'm not afraid to ask. Give the growth and goals it would seem you are quickly reaching the point of making it and part of the business model that is both obvious and accessible of the website.

Lastly one has to ask; are the forks for the S30 and V20 now interchangeable? I can see and S30 user wanting an unsuspended fork?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob and Bob,Both very good

Bob and Bob,
Both very good comments.
Spares are required for the adventurous!

The Di2 guys need? a hole near the top clamp to get cables out and possibly a battery in, OR just a cable to charge the battery when the battery is installed BEFORE the inner and outer boom sections are slid together!

I think this should be CIRCULAR ONLY of 6 to 9 mm diameter (min. dia for stress raiser on a 1.55??? mm thick Al tube) and positioned just below the steerer tube to sliding boom clamp.

The polar twisting pedal reactions are shared between the Carbon Fiber bottom stay (the shorter the rider, the closer the bottom stay gets to 90 degrees to the extendable boom so the stiffer it gets to polar rotation) and the extendable boom (which with its bend at the end makes it stiffer), while the boom after the steerer clamp has ALL the arm pulling and steering loads to contend with and is straight so no offset mech. advantage of a bend.

Is there a small stickable ?black or white rubber sleeve (like what is used to safety run computer cables across a floor, but much smaller) to run down the extendable boom instead of cutting any holes in the boom.

Wannabe

I re read this entire thread

I re read this entire thread. I hope everything is going well for the build. I got to feeling bad that I said any thing. Yet on the other hand it reminded me of a joke I would tell when I would take people up in my home made aero-plane. They would ask if it was safe? I would say," well this flying machine is built with all of the best components and conceived with well proven engineering acumen. There is a very good chance we will probably make it back ok." They would turn a little ashen. I guess the point is, the only thing we can count on death. Exercises in engineering, many are successful, a few are not. AS for taxes, I hope they abolish the IRS. With regard to the boom, in the end only time will tell. I guess the shadow knows, but it most difficult to get him to divulge.

KiwiGuy

Insightful observation Bob

Hi Bob

As least for my experience, you're observation is spot-on:

Those that had be lusting for a Vendetta had the old bike in mind. If they lusted for it; then they liked it and the change is going to be disappointing because they now can't get the one that they lusted for. Those that thought it was ugly now have have that solved and can start lusting for it. Group A will recover eventually. 10% will find something else the rest will stay and the market is bigger and we all win.

I was in 'Group A', and I've now recovered.

Not before investigating another option - as you've alluded. However, I was fortunate enough to obtain guidance from two people - one a very experienced recumbent rider who knows both the Vendetta and the other option well; and the other from a member of this forum who owns both a Vendetta and the other option. As a result, I've become even more convinced that the Vendetta is the best bike for my needs - a fast recumbent that climbs extremely well (despite the fact that it is no longer yellow with a visually substantial boom).

Larry, you asked me to post pictures. Now that I've recovered I'm in buying mode. Have a couple of boxes headed my way at the moment. Will post when I have everything together.

Kind regards...

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
last build update

Lief: #relentless - yes will have to remember that
Bob: I got those wheels made my an outfit called Jagged Surf. It was a stock image of their's because I didn't want to pay them a c extra ouple $100 more bucks to do something original. They did match the color to the original Vendetta for me, although not helping me much there. Funny thing, their original color, was.... you guessed it. RED! haha -
...... ok update on build and pics.....

Putting the front wheel and derailleur hanger in also proved to be an exercise with the dremel. This is because the powder coating was significantly thicker than the original paint, so I had quite a few surfaces to gently grind down.
(So, if repainting, first put the whole thing together and size it to yourself first and mark where to stop the paint on the boom, then mask off the areas on the fork and chain stay you don't want painted either, then paint. That will save some time!)
Installed my 1-off Zipp CF handlebar setup, brifters, brake and di2 cables.
Then setup the Di2 system (wow - how easy was that). Pulled up a nice 2-3 youtube video for FD adjustment), and bingo shifting.
(Wow - so nice - I can hardly wait to ride it and try it!)

Mounted brakes, installed the headrest and seat, so almost done.
Bummer is it so cold, wet and windy here though, not a chance to even take her for a spin around the neighborhood. Waiting for the weekend I guess, and I can work on a few of the final items until then.

Also is a picture of the new V20 in front on my old V2 (which is on the KICKR, that's why no front wheel.)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Table saw

So when your backordered chain ring arrives; that black thing goes back on the table saw right?
tongue_smile.gif

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I must admit, it sure is an obnoxious THING!!

but if it helps me go faster and farther, then I'll put up with it.
tongue_smile.gif

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Wireless

Wireless SRAM Derailleur system spotted at the Tour Down Under last week, so NO HOLES required in booms or forks!!!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/14/sram-wireless-electronic-road-group-spotted-again-at-tour-down-under-warmups/