Lighting Solutions

DuncanWatson

We had another thread that followed a tangent into discussions about lighting but I thought we could use a dedicated thread. The impetus for this is the new Cateye Volt 6000 that I saw Robert Holler post an article about. Here is the link . The basics is a very bright light, with a light easily mounted head unit and a wireless remote switch to control it.
Run times are as follows:

• 6000lm – 1 hour – Dynamic Mode
  • 4000lm – 2 hours – High Mode
  • 2000lm – 4 hours – Middle Mode
  • 1000lm – 8 hours – Low Mode
  • 500lm – 12 hours – All Night Mode
  • 2000lm – 11 hours – Hyper Constant
Wireless remote:
IMG_6271-297x198.jpg

light:
removed image, it was too big.

I know nothing about the beam pattern or actual performance over time. But a light like this with a wireless remote looks very attractive.

1happyreader

zen/child method
We had another thread that followed a tangent into discussions about lighting but I thought we could use a dedicated thread. The impetus for this is the new Cateye Volt 6000 that I saw Robert Holler post an article about. Here is the link . The basics is a very bright light, with a light easily mounted head unit and a wireless remote switch to control it.
Wireless remote:
IMG_6271-297x198.jpg

But a light like this with a wireless remote looks very attractive.

A definate boon to many recumbent types and all night riders.
enjoy the ride

super slim

Zen MBB Master
looking at the video, the light has a 90 degree circular light pattern which is perfect for single track riding , but useless for road riding, as you will be blinding on coming traffic, unless you point the light at your feet, so no light 20 m in front of you!

My first bright light was a Niteflux 8 watt off road light, with a 90 degree light pattern, which I bought for my first attempt in 2010, of the three Peaks ride (230 km, 3,650m climbing, 143 mls, 12,000 ft) and I ended up having to add a toilet roll with aluminium to the front of it, to limit its light pattern, so cars would not flash me and blind me for 2 secs as my eyes adjusted.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
From my point of view lights with symmetrical beam are not good for road riding on recumbent. You have 2 opposite variants. You point light that you can see comfortable far, than you over-shine other road participants riding in opposite direction as same as your mates riding on low recumbent thru their mirrors. Or you point light that it is ok for other people but than it will be pointed so close to your bike that you cannot ride in normal speed, you will be over-shined by your own light on close ground.
I am not sure if I have written it on this forum, I have ordered Philips Safe ride 80 for my V20. I will be modifying it to work with Li-pol batteries. I will write my experience after some riding.

Last edited:

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I finally got my Magnic light set and have one front light mounted on the left chain stay and finally did a night test ride last night.

Verdict: Works surprisingly well but I need to mount the other three lights - right front and rear light to get a better feel.

The right front is going to be blocked a bit by the chain but there seems to be enough adjustment to angle the beam a bit left.

Very light weight. No drag like a generator. NO BATTERIES.

Will require further testing to see if the light output is good enough for high speed night riding with sharp turns but first impression is much better than I was expecting - and they get uber cool points. :cool:

21545164178_c7a24e8409_b.jpg

21706926246_becdbc0767_b.jpg

21545026950_a7ebdf28c2_b.jpg

21111979283_c0f734e815_b.jpg

Last edited:

billyk

Guru
Ummm ... There must be _some_ drag. Energy doesn't come for free.

As a slow commuter, I'm interested in the "see or be seen" nature of this light. Please, "enlighten" us as you get experience with it. Also the cost is of interest.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Still waiting on mine to arrive but based on what you did I clearly picked the wrong mounting brackets.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have ridden with Philips Safe ride 80. My first impressions:
  • Ball joint is not good idea for such heavy light. I will fix it with my own 3D printed mount and I future by cutting body at half.
  • Beam cutoff is really sharp, You don't see anything higher. Height setting is crucial.
  • Beam has some artifacts, but You can see it only in tunnel. http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/SafeRide-80-beam-pattern.jpg
  • Beam is pretty wide, but it has narrow really bright center. (Cannot be seen on linked photo)

SamP

Guru
Sounds like you have the first revision of the second generation light--Philips switched back to the non-ballhead mount fairly quickly.

The artifacts increase your visibility to oncoming traffic to about the level of an inexpensive bike light without a shaped beam.

SamP

Guru
I think that was the only change, but I'm hardly an expert. I was just a bit surprised that you got a light with the ballhead mount. hmm... If you meant the second generation vs. first generation, then the second generation had several changes (according to what I've read, I've never had one): low power brightness was significantly increased, color temperature reduced, high power no longer on a timer but uses battery voltage to switch to low power, can switch back to high power after high to low switch (previously the high power was on a timer and once it switched to low you could not switch back to high until you either plugged in the charger or removed the batteries), power indicator light reduced in brightness.