Little tweaks

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I took a couple of Personal Bests on Stava segments today and took a look at the KOM. How on earth can anyone on a Cruzbike produce on average 600 watts?:confused:

It's impossible , right ???? Is there a fudge factor one can apply to the equivalent Vendetta wattage to a DF.

It was on level ground ... I guess the QXL chainwheel will produce more wattage?

DavidCH

Well ... to Bolt or not is the question.

My ideas are still with the curved slider and am thinking of moving the wahoo elemnt 90 degrees and as I have the side LEDs I just use these as the main point of of interests. I still will have LED notification on direction changes but reading the display might be kind of interesting. At least by having it 90 degrees on the V the air turbulence is down to a minimum.

Naaaa that's just plain stupid. Just sell the old elemnt after getting the new elemnt bolt is a much better idea???

But I had a crazy idea this morning.... how cool it would be to read the side LEDs and show them on my sunglasses by using optic fiber so that I don't have to use a readout device on my handlebars.

DC Rainmaker says he's going to use 4 wahoo elemnt bolts on his handlebars.

If it's alright for him it must be ok for all. Now just need to synchronize this event in with a reward scheme. Not sure how much the Bolt is going to cost. Guess it will be something like $300 after taxes. So perhaps when I get a KOM :confused:

That might be quite a while.

Never say Never.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The will open up to things.

First BB30 crank you can shorten (it comes in BB30 and GXP)
First Crank you can shorten with a removable spider meaning you can install a spider based power meter.

DavidCH

Well I did quite well with strava live segments today. I set my goals as to halve the KOM - 1 from my PB. This works quite well for me. So now I can reward myself with fixing the new carbon aero base bar on. Let's see what the dynamics are with that change. They are narrower and the cda should be less with more of wing causing downforce. Quite exciting really.

Can't believe how fast the bike was today. I had to slow down for passing cars too. Shame you cannot set goals on that segment ... it only had a gradient of -0.5. Anyways. I still beat my goal even if the wind wasn't blowing my direction!

DavidCH

I spent too long doing this. Being a bike mechanic must be highly stressing at times.

Now I have to get on it and prove that it's safe and faster.

Back to my figure of eights I reckon.

IMG_4476.PNG

The bike looks as though it's giving me the finger.

So why am I concerned? They are narrower by a centimeter on each side.

Shorter cranks are next so it will bring the bars 15mm closer to me.

I might just have to buy the Wahoo Bolt as the standard Elemnt doesn't fit these bars as it sticks out like a sore thumb.
The only issue is I can't ride it until the monday as I have to be at an advent.

IMG_4477.PNG

Last edited:

DavidCH

As I don't want to relearn twice I thought that I would fit the Sram Rival 22 .... but first I have to convert the XD-15. Chris at Real World Cycling gave me the kit but without instructions. I figured most of it out with Rick's photo postings but I have this funny springy washer that I can't figure out where it goes. Does anyone know? From Ricks photo it looks as though it goes at the spider side? Logically speaking the only place it could go would be between the two black washers.
IMG_4492.PNG
IMG_4493.PNG

The springy washer
IMG_4495.PNG

Last edited:

DavidCH

Revelation time.... guess it's like this and everything goes on the drive side of the XD-15 ????
IMG_4497.PNG

DavidCH

The Sram Rival 22 GXP spindle is the same width at the Shimano. Just a tad longer on the drive side.

This isn't quite so. You need to add a shim to the non drive side bottom bearing cup to be placed, not down into the BB cup but from behind the BB cup. (The BB cup has to be taken off).

Last edited:

ratz

I figured most of it out with Rick's photo postings but I have this funny springy washer that I can't figure out where it goes. Does anyone know?

In this order.:

Spider, spacer, spacer, wave washer, bb cup, bb shell, bb cup, nondrive crank arm.

The metal 1mm spacers are optional. Add them as needed to remove left right movement in the crank when it is torqued Down.

DavidCH

Well... so many changes in my life in such a little time. Pictures will be arriving soon. I have a V2 but I am pretty sure there is the same design weakness in the V20, it's with the bb cups and the chainstays. For the bike for best efficiency ... everything needs to be rigid... on my vendetta I have the chainstays just about firm otherwise there is too much tension on the bb cups. So how could things improve? BB cups made of titanium perhaps?:rolleyes:

Or perhaps a different bottom bearing bracket for the next version of the Vendetta?

ratz

Well... so many changes in my life in such a little time. Pictures will be arriving soon. I have a V2 but I am pretty sure there is the same design weakness in the V20, it's with the bb cups and the chainstays. For the bike for best efficiency ... everything needs to be rigid... on my vendetta I have the chainstays just about firm otherwise there is too much tension on the bb cups. So how could things improve? BB cups made of titanium perhaps?:rolleyes:

Or perhaps a different bottom bearing bracket for the next version of the Vendetta?

Email @Robert Holler he might be able to help with that.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Email @Robert Holler he might be able to help with that.
Or not. I've been trying to get a standard V20 chainstay for my V20 since Sept of last year. I don't mind waiting for the latest design change but getting Mr. Holler to respond to emails has been a little frustrating (sent another off last week...no response). I'm sure he is very busy building T-50's and, frankly, my needs are not critical.

DavidCH

Or not. I've been trying to get a standard V20 chainstay for my V20 since Sept of last year. I don't mind waiting for the latest design change but getting Mr. Holler to respond to emails has been a little frustrating (sent another off last week...no response). I'm sure he is very busy building T-50's and, frankly, my needs are not critical.
Ditto

DavidCH

Well the 54t daisy cutter has changed to something a little more radical. I haven't given it a thrashing yet as I am a little conservative with my testing and adaptation.

elBici.jpg

Nothing quite like changing three significant things all at the same time and the greatest gift is to be able to clip in with one foot and feel how everything works whilst using the other leg to balance. The Shimano Ultegra cranks just exude quality and I wasn't sure if the Sram Rival stubbies (150mm) were going to work. But hey... Now they are cut down and don't weigh so much and aero have got to be a overwhelming plus.
QXL_ring.jpg

I wasn't sure if the aero bars would work. They do but the Wahoo Element will probably change to the Wahoo Bolt as its always creating turbulence.
aeroBaseBar.jpg

The boom has been extended by 2 cm... not sure why that is because the crank have only been cut down by 15mm. I had already chopped my slider so I am thinking I have minimal clearance.

Does anyone know what the minimal slider insert is?
boomCorrection.jpg

Last edited: