LOL My day job

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I've always been fond of this one:
devotion_to_duty.png

https://xkcd.com/705/

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I hate to admit it but the first one really is how I spend my day. Maybe without the smarmy grin.... maybe.

DuncanWatson

I do a variety of things though the regex xkcd is more me*. I left IT in the 90s. But since your average IT dept nowadays doesn't know unix I moonlight on occasion. When all the developers are on linux and target embedded platforms it can make IT nervous.

*no perl though. awk, python, sed and find are more my style. And I don't do discovery or any requests for legal.

ratz

This is probably the better thread to answer Slims question about what weight so much. two ups two external batteries; 4 server chasis and 39 hard drives. Sadly I think I could build 2 full Silvios faster than the time it took to unbox everything and assemble all the drive. OEM drives might be more expensive but, so is a whole 2 days of unboxing, unpacking; assembling and recycling the packing materials when you pieces source the parts.... just like a bike.

IMG_4157.JPGIMG_4159.JPG

Now I just have to make them do something useful before they hit the datacenter. perhaps I'll get to ride next week.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob,
That's a LOT of hard Discs!
What type of data centre?

At the Engineering Office I worked in with 20 people, we only had an OLD single 19" rack with 4off 1 Tb hard discs, a single tape backup, a small looking UPS, and some comms racks for Head office access.

Are your UPS batteries mounted outside the 19" racks in case there is a fire?
Have the UPS got full time inverters back to 110 V AC, OR do there convert to 12, 5, 3.3 V DC and have storage batteries at those different voltages like military systems?

ratz

What type of data centre?

That's the new vwmare 3-way system for an exchange cluster for our mail services. 1000 users, 1million message processed inbound (spam/ham) per week. You want to see the matrix's green data stream? yeah we got live logs that look like that. Sucker is gonna be fast with SAS 2TB Raid-10 and SATA Archive Storage. (Nobody deletes email on these systems they are litigatition locked; you send it; it lives forever). Flipping uptime drives all this stuff; every single component from the internet cable to the power cord is redundant full Active HA. Just wiring it up in Headache inducing. 33 network wires for 3 servers. HA is complicated but it doesn't have to be hard.

UPS's go in Music studio 4 pole min racks with for max ventilation. Batteries are in parallel with independent chargers per battery for rapid recycle (or daisy chain 5 batteries to 1 battery based charger). full inverters to pure sine wave with boost and trim.

Not really digging building this in spring should have done it in the dead of winter.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
That's the new vwmare 3-way system for an exchange cluster for our mail services. 1000 users, 1million message processed inbound (spam/ham) per week. You want to see the matrix's green data stream? yeah we got live logs that look like that. Sucker is gonna be fast with SAS 2TB Raid-10 and SATA Archive Storage. (Nobody deletes email on these systems they are litigatition locked; you send it; it lives forever). Flipping uptime drives all this stuff; every single component from the internet cable to the power cord is redundant full Active HA. Just wiring it up in Headache inducing. 33 network wires for 3 servers. HA is complicated but it doesn't have to be hard.

UPS's go in Music studio 4 pole min racks with for max ventilation. Batteries are in parallel with independent chargers per battery for rapid recycle (or daisy chain 5 batteries to 1 battery based charger). full inverters to pure sine wave with boost and trim.

Not really digging building this in spring should have done it in the dead of winter.
WOH! :eek: I lost my breath reading all of that.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That's a BIG, very fault tolerant, and FAST system!!!
No wonder you have pulled a lot of your hair out!!!
Did it take long to spec up?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
*no perl though. awk, python, sed and find are more my style. And I don't do discovery or any requests for legal.

I still write one line Perl scripts (mostly for regex), but otherwise it's almost all Python. Although if you're still using sed and awk, Perl might actually be an upgrade... :D

Are you a cloud provider or part of an IT shop?

DuncanWatson

I still write one line Perl scripts (mostly for regex), but otherwise it's almost all Python. Although if you're still using sed and awk, Perl might actually be an upgrade... :D
I do a lot of ad hoc analysis during integrations. That means I am writing things like "find . -type f -name asset\*xml | xargs grep posterBoardPath | awk -F = '{print $2}' | sort | uniq -c" or similar. It varies. I like python a lot. In 1999 I swore off perl since I couldn't maintain it. awk, sed etc are just for command line quick work.