Look Ma ... no hands!

Shakey

One of the things I missed most when riding my LWB recumbent was the ability to ride no hands. I could never take both hands off the bars for even a couple of seconds which made a lot of little things such as putting on a glove or changing the mode on my wristwatch or removing the cap on a bottle quite challenging. I would have to hook the bars with my pinky finger on one hand & try to get both hands to move in unison while doing whatever.
I guess for legal reasons Cruzbike can't really promote the no hands riding too much, but for me this feature is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekO8nFDrxc

currystomper

That's a great video! I've never really tryid riding with no hands - but I think you have inspired me to have a try - I think it will help my general control of my Cruz..

CS

Shakey

currystomper wrote: That's a great video! I've never really tryid riding with no hands - but I think you have inspired me to have a try - I think it will help my general control of my Cruz..

CS
Hi there Currystomper, thanks for the comment.
Oddly, I just met with a fellow yesterday, who is having trouble riding his Sofrider. He can't ride no hands & even has difficulty riding with one hand. After a bit of comparing riding differences, we figured out a couple of exercises that might help him out. I am not sure if you need these but maybe they will help someone else.

- Place one foot on the ground pushing you slightly backward & the other on the pedal just past top dead centre driving you forward so that you have a stalemate & remain stationary. I suggest a fairly high gear so that the pedal foot does not have "low torque advantage".
Then, when you are balanced, let go of the handle bars & 'steer' the pedal foot to the left & right. Switch feet & repeat.

- Find a level place between a gate or two walls where you can hold your self up with both hands. Then try steering left & right with just your feet. Try with your pedals in different positions, I suppose you could even try peddling slowly backwards while steering left & right.

I suppose the steering with the feet is really more like steering from the hips/waist, I don't even really notice that I am doing it any more, it is just automatic.
cheers rk

Maria Parker

Administrator
Hi Shakey: Great video and very impressive riding. I was watching your speed thinking, I couldn't do that no hands and I'd have to go hard on my Silvio to do it with hands! I'd love it if you would post the video on our facebook page.

Maria

Romagjack

Shakey, absolutely incredible

Shakey, absolutely incredible video. I'm so jealous of your skills! What a great ride. You have no fear.

• Where is that bike path?

• What did you use for a helmet cam?

• Was that a Van Morrison song?

• Any tips on how to no-hand a Cruzbike?

Really enjoyed it.

Shakey

Hi Romagjack,

Hi Romagjack, thanks.

• Bike path is in Courtenay BC, Canada. The ride starts here

• Helmet cam is one of those cheapy "spy cams" with a wide angle adapter velcroed to my bike helmet.
    There are pics of the setup in this thread: http://cruzbike.com/handle-bar-mod

• The song is: It's Only You
    artist: Darrell Mansfield, Larry Howard & Glenn Kaiser
    album: Into The Night
    label: Grrr Records

• Tips? I don't know, lean back, relax & just keep trying a little more each ride. Small steps.
    Get comfortable riding with a verrrry light grip on the bars.
    Then get comfortable riding one handed with a light grip.
    Practice away from traffic, I found it easier to learn riding up a slight incline.
    Not too much power. Steering comes from your "core" more than your legs.
    Stretch your skills a little at a time, practice the same route repeatedly.
    It becomes 2nd nature after awhile...... just like riding a bike :)
Good luck & take care

fatall

Great video Shakey, liked the

Great video Shakey, liked the sound track. I am looking forward to getting my Quest soon (placed a deposit, but won't receive my Quest till October or so
sad_smile.gif
) Hope to be able to emulate you and ride no handed after some training rides.

Shakey

Thanks fatall.
I am surprised

Thanks fatall.
I am surprised you will have to wait so long for delivery, I guess the Quests must be selling well.
On the bright side, the 2.0 has some nice improvements over the first model.
cheers

fatall

Hi, I live in Australia, so

Hi, I live in Australia, so the population is small in comparision to the States? I am not sure how much stock they carry in Australia. I could have gotten the first model from Kim Tolhurst, but as you pointed out, the V2 had some nice new features and I think is worth the wait.(also gives me time to put the pennies aside for the bike)