Look out here come the Chinese

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I guess I can't label Country X manufacturing as bad when many of our excellent products come from there. One end of the scale is discernment, suitable caution; on the other end of the scale is racism/nationalism; and in our daily lives is the convoluted mix of things produced in a global world!

Mark, I appreciate that you identify "looking out for the guys behind you". That consideration for others makes for a great world. (When lacking the whole world suffers.)

dtseng

These are all related to the maturity in manufacturing in a region/country. When Japanese cars started to enter the North American market, the critics all condemned Jap cars poor quality. It didn't take long for Japanese cars to become the dominant force. In the 1970s, the Detroit Three's quality reached lowest point. Therefore, competition does a lot of good for the consumers if it is done fairly. The current Trump Administrations think that Globalization is nothing but global cannibalism; the other guys want to kill your manufacturing industry to dominate you economy. Mr. Trump has withdrawn the US from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, suspended free-trade talks with EU, and is moving to scuttle the North American free-trade agreement. He believes the global warming is a Chinese-led hoax to hurt American industry and energy production. So he pull out Paris agreement. His approval rating may be a bit low right now, but who knows he might be the most accomplished president for many years to come to revive American economy.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
One end of the scale is discernment, suitable caution; on the other end of the scale is racism/nationalism; and in our daily lives is the convoluted mix of things produced in a global world!

I get what you're saying, but I hope you don't think my comments are based on the far end of your scale. I will admit that I do like knowing that if I have an issue with a product, there is a company on these shores that stands behind it and represents my interest. I'll pay for that privilege, I know, but it's peace of mind, for me.

Anything else is a bit of a gamble. Sometimes, I like to gamble. Other times, not so much. I find that usually, you get what you pay for.

One of my other interests is guitars. You can save a lot of money buying counterfeit guitars from China. Some people swear that with a little work and effort, you can get them sounding/playing almost as good as the originals. To my knowledge, no flesh and or blood was ever lost with a faulty guitar. Bicycles.... That's another story.

Bentas

More Mbb inovation , just found this on Brol ,,probably a bit biased here but I thought it a sad day when Cruzbike dropped the conversion kit option, we are born to create and invent , I don't know which I like more building or riding , the idea of not being able to continue to push the boundaries because of correctness,would mean none of us would be riding the weird and wonderful contraptions we are riding today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I hope you don't think my comments are based on the far end of your scale.
Never Fear, it is obvious that your comments, which include a high level of concern for others, are definitely at the discerning, well pondered end of that scale.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
From personal experience through a former employer who sourced ~75% of product from China:

American and Chinese negotiations are opposite approaches. In America, we decide on a product then negotiate pricing. In China, pricing is decided and then the product is built to that price point. Therein lies the perception differences. You can get cheap crap or top notch quality from China, depending on what you are willing to pay.

This is why one normally doesn't find high end Chinese products in America. When an imported product is within a few dollars, or cents, of a domestically produced one, economics drives business domestic.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
These are all related to the maturity in manufacturing in a region/country. When Japanese cars started to enter the North American market, the critics all condemned Jap cars poor quality. It didn't take long for Japanese cars to become the dominant force. In the 1970s, the Detroit Three's quality reached lowest point. Therefore, competition does a lot of good for the consumers if it is done fairly. The current Trump Administrations think that Globalization is nothing but global cannibalism; the other guys want to kill your manufacturing industry to dominate you economy. Mr. Trump has withdrawn the US from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, suspended free-trade talks with EU, and is moving to scuttle the North American free-trade agreement. He believes the global warming is a Chinese-led hoax to hurt American industry and energy production. So he pull out Paris agreement. His approval rating may be a bit low right now, but who knows he might be the most accomplished president for many years to come to revive American economy.

Buy cruzbike quality assured. Nothing trumped up about that.