Looking for advice...

cjwilliams

I am considering either the QX100 or the Q559. I like the look of these and everything I have read about them. I used to really enjoy cycling (DF) but due to a bad ankle injury I have not cycled in many years. The injury ultimately resulted in a below the knee amputation 3 yrs ago ( I wear a prosthetic leg now). I got back on my bike but it just hasn't felt right and I am having much more difficulty than I anticipated (way more wipeouts than I care to admit).

A couple of concerns that I am hoping some of you may have some input on:

1. My amputated leg is only 60% of the strength of my good leg, so I tend to pedal harder with the good leg. I hope with time that will improve but I am wondering if this will create problems in the handling of the bike until that improvement comes.
2. On longer rides my amputated leg would sometimes get sore and I would pedal completely with my good leg...would this even be a possibility on a cruzbike?
3. I have read many times that clipless pedals are a "must" with a recumbent of any kind. So far (with close to 1000km on my DF wearing my prosthetic leg) I have been unable to clip in and out with my prosthetic leg. So, how much of a "must" are they? Do you think it would be suitable to rig up sort of a heel strap to rest my foot in?

I would appreciate any input or advice any of you have to offer.

Before my injury I had big dreams of doing some long distance bike touring and would really like to get on with it...just have to find the best bike for me first!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
3. I have read many times that clipless pedals are a "must" with a recumbent of any kind. So far (with close to 1000km on my DF wearing my prosthetic leg) I have been unable to clip in and out with my prosthetic leg. So, how much of a "must" are they? Do you think it would be suitable to rig up sort of a heel strap to rest my foot in?

Welcome!

Clipless pedals are good to have, but not a "must" in most cases. I ride my Silvio with clipless pedals, but my Q451 has pinned platform pedals. There are commercially-produced pedals with heel slings, or you could certainly rig up something suitable.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Because my bike mechanic (me) is sometimes an idiot, I was about 1/2 a mile from home when my left pedal came off. Because I was clipped in, my pedal was just attached to my shoe I didn't bother stopping and I just pedaled home with my right leg.

So, yes, you can pedal with one leg. In your case, I'd consider going clipless on the strong side to make single leg pedaling easier and just go with a heal sling on the other side. (On my wife's trike, I installed heel slings with a plastic toe clip with no strap. Worked well.).

(I agree that going clipless on your weaker leg when you have trouble not clipping in is problematic. If you were on a trike, I'd argue that you could just clip it in and not worry about it, but that won't work on a bike where you may need to put that leg down.)

I am absolutely convinced that once used to the bike, there would be no issue. I think getting used to the bike may be a bit more problematic because of your uneven leg strength, but it you are patient, I believe you can get there.

Cheers,
Charles

p.s. And just to be clear, you don't need a heel sling either. For long trips, I think you'll enjoy having them there as it helps hold the weight of your leg so you don't have to.

p.p.s. I personally like the gearing of the Quest 451 better than the Quest 559. It's also lower to the ground which makes starting and stopping easier. So Castlerobber's 451 may be a brilliant idea for you.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
CJ,

Welcome to the forums.

This might also be a great situation to go with a Q406, Robert can build them with 406 wheels. Pinned pedals and a heel sling etc etc. That would depending on how tall you are but it give a heck of a lot of options for the bikes size and proximity to the ground.

Now that said I'd be really remise not to suggest an Trike, maybe something from ICE trike should be on your idea list as well. They make some fast, and sexy trikes which appeal to the DF Roadie in all of us, and that can take the sting out of I don't want to ride no stinking trike and it would be an awesome vehicle to get the leg strength backup up on without the inherent risks.

A year on that platform would get you on the road and tell you if you still have the yearning for two wheels at which time you plot your return and pick your bike. I don't say this all that lightly. When I fractured my spine I was off the bike 2 years; then two years on a Trike (ct700) to get my strength back. My neck is still fractured in a not so happy place; but my neck muscle are now strong enough to ride two wheelers; without that time on the trike I don't know that I'd be on the road today and have the doctors blessing for that; let alone Mrs. Ratz's reluctant approval.

Building on the 3 wheel idea you might want to reach out to jim@cruzbike.com the Cruzbike trike attachment might be close enough to shipping that you'd be able to consider a Silvio. IF there was ever a situation that would justify be added to the pool of testing candidates I would think you'd have the inside edge. If you do email him understand it might be a few days before you hear from him; several members of the Cruzbike family are doing a charity run in the grand canyon this week.

If you do go two wheels then a cheap indoor trainer that would allow you to do single leg drills would also be the order of the day. Our regular training routine includes 1 weekly workout that has 1 leg drills in it. We do it to help smooth out the pedaling motion BUT that short little drill has both of us to the point that we can ride several miles with just 1 leg on the pedal. That skill might already be on your list but I would think it would be an excellent failsafe for you to ensure you can get home if something unfortunate happens with the prosthetics.

And lastly there are some recent awesome threads about putting an electric rear wheel on to a quest. There are at least 3 such builds documented in the forums using Quest and Softriders. That might be another excellent option to got straight to 2 wheels and ensure that the ride is always enjoyable even when other things are conspiring against you.

cjwilliams

Thank you all for your input. I didn't even know they made such a thing as heel slings! I also had never considered a trike. Although I do think I would better like the idea of the trike attachment so I had the choice. You have given me much to think about.

Thank you so much.

castlerobber - I sent you a message

Last edited: