looking for riding tips with toe-clips or snap in shoes, general steering and uphill/downhill riding

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hello All,
I am a nebie to Cruzbike. I just purchase Seth's Silvio 2.0 (Thanks Seth!) last week.
Here is a little history for those interested:
I live near Asheville, NC and this is pretty hilly country.
I commute to work on Specialized DF (about 10 miles each way), and usually ride an extra 10 miles at lunch or tack it to my ride on the way home. My right knee was rebuilt about 30 years ago due to a car accident, and I have had 2 other minor operations on it since then. Due to the main surgery, I also have vericose viens in that left leg (had 2 surgeries on it in the last year) and am hoping that the recumbent style of riding will not aggravate them as much as having them hang down on the DF bike. I am pretty much a spinner. Due to my knee I never really just stand up in the saddle, and try to overcome the hills with brute force.

My only experience in riding any recumbent was about 2 weeks ago when I tried someone's
LWB for about 10 miles. It was strange to ride, but I think I did OK for a first try. It was terribly hard to get going from a stop however, especially on a slight uphill grade. It was also pretty hard to go up hills. I am used to spinning and powering up most grades under 4% at 13-15 mph. Could not even get half that with the lwb.

My first attempt to ride the Silvio was last Saturday (6/14). I tried Flinstoning around my driveway at first, but it was really too steep for me to return up. I eventually just took the bike out to the road in my subdivision and just let it coast down the hill (with brakes on of course!) a couple times until I became comfortable enough not to tip it over. I then worked my way to riding out and back (about a 1.6 mile circuit) that also has a couple short but challenging grades of 4-5% for short periods. (The little circuit has about 160 feet of climbing).

My initial observations where that I found myself really fighting the bike going up the hills and I was all over the road. I found that I could alternately pull the left side of the handle bar as my right foot applied pressure to the pedal and visa-versa. I also found that the bike was very squirly to me as I was going down hill, and pretty much had to apply the brakes to keep myself under control.
Through the course of the day, I put in about 15 miles this way.
In the evening my back hurt, my stomach ached, my right knee hurt, and my shoulders where also soar - especially the next day. I am sure most of it is to me fighting myself and using muscles that I was not accustomed to using every day.
I was a little disappointed that I did not feel more comfortable on the bike after that amount time on it, but I was determined not to give up so quickly.
It is now Thursday morning as I write this, and I am happy to say that I have become more accustomed to the bike. I have ridden my little 1.6 mile loop about 3 times each day after work. I have progressively gotten more comfortable and most pains and have gone away. The only one that seems to remain is a slight pain in my left knee. (I am wondering if I am extending it too far on the pedel stroke)
I have found that I am more comfortable with alternately pulling on the handle bars rather than pushing to counteract the forces of my pedaling.
I also found that I could "power" up the hills pretty good, but I found myself gripping both sides of the handlebars very tightly when I wanted to really go up the hills at a good clip. Is this a bad technique?

I timed my self on my DF around the loop (without my mtb shoes, and could comfortabley do it in about 6.5 minutes. I am happy to report that I can now do the circuit in the Silvio now in about 6 minutes. Not blazing speed, but am lease up to and surpassing my speed in the DF. Now my next stage is to possibly put my feet into toe clips or my mtb pedals and shoes.

So here are my "technique" questions:
What kind of experience has anyone had when switching from regular pedals to toe clips or snap in cleats?
Is one any better than the other?
Is it easier to "steer" the bike when you are locked in and can "pull" with the left, while "pushing" with the right, and vise versa?
Any tips to going downhill fast? I have a hill that I gone down over 50 mph on my DF, but I feel almost out of control if I go over 25 mph on this Silvio right now. Will that just get better with time on the bike?
Any hints on carrying food and drink with you for long rides, and being able to access them without totally stopping? Can't put food or drink in back shirt pockets since laying on them. :) Also the hydration backpacks wont work either. Do you just lay something like that on your chest?
Any other tips or comments on your techniques would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Larry

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Congratulations on you new

Congratulations on you new Silvio-2!

It will get better with practice. Just ensure that you include several "figure eight" maneuvers in your practice sessions. Then probably add some alternate one handed rides on the easier flat sections. Repeat them several times every other other day and soon you will find that the "death grip" will ease off and you will begin to really enjoy your bike.

You will find that toe clips or even clipless pedals actually smoothens the pedal strokes and improves the handling on the bike significantly.

Please allow your self several days to get used to the bike. Different people require different amount of time to settle down to a new skill and this is a new skill.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
My Answers

1. What kind of experience has anyone had when switching from regular pedals to toe clips or snap in cleats?
    I started on the stock platform pedals until I was comfortable in riding the bike on my neighborhood MUP. Since I have been riding clipless since I was 13, I switched over as soon as I felt confident on the Cruzbike.
  2. Is one any better than the other?
    It all comes down to personal preference, but I like the control and power that comes with having my feet connected securely to the pedals.
  3. Is it easier to "steer" the bike when you are locked in and can "pull" with the left, while "pushing" with the right, and vise versa?
    Yes and no on this one. I feel that my control is enhanced with clipless pedals, but it's not a matter of opposing forces with youe feet while pedaling to maintain your steering path. In time, you will find that whether spinning or mashing, you will become accustomed to the nuances of the MBB. For what it's worth, I am a life-long masher, and I have found that riding the Silvio has trained me to spin.
  4. Any tips to going downhill fast? I have a hill that I gone down over 50 mph on my DF, but I feel almost out of control if I go over 25 mph on this Silvio right now. Will that just get better with time on the bike?
    Take your time in mastering the feel of the bike before you start bombing descents like that. My first commute on my Silvio had me white-knuckled with each car that passed, and downhills only made my sense of instability worse. I have been riding for a while, and can descend at speeds over 40 MPH smoothly and confidently. It will come with time!
  5. Any hints on carrying food and drink with you for long rides, and being able to access them without totally stopping? Can't put food or drink in back shirt pockets since laying on them. Also the hydration backpacks wont work either. Do you just lay something like that on your chest?
    There are recumbent-specific jerseys that have side pockets. I think Mt. Borah is a source of those. They are great for carrying bottles and on-the-bike foods. I think some people have drilled and mounted bottle cages behind the Silvio 2.0 seat; the 1.0 - 1.5 versions had alloy seats that were pre-drilled. You could mount a bottle cage on each side of the seat back. I recommend Koala Bottle; it has a snap-in magnetic retention system that eliminates fumbling for a cage. Conversely, Topeak makes a wonderful clamp-style bottle cage mount that works well on the boom. I rode with a bottle on the lower side of the boom, just in front of the handlebar and it is very convenient to access while riding.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
+1 on ak-tux's advice.

+1 on ak-tux's advice. -

Don't expect to ride like a pro right out of the box. You have 2 things you are working on, 1- learning recumbent with high bottom bracket and laidback seat, 2. learning moving bottom bracket or MBB. Ivan is a good example of one person here on the board (that I know of) that has taking on the challenge.

Over time and with each ride you will progress. Stick with it, and keep your rides simple in the beginning. I would also recommend not riding any other bike, only the Silvio. Try not to compare your performances to your DF bike just yet. What you do with your arms will come nature over time, they will automatically work with your pedaling in union, try not to over think it. I started with clipless for fist ride, set them on minimum setting, easiest to unclip. Before you work on going fast down hill, work on getting used to the bike and becoming fully confident. The reason the bike feels unstable going fast downhill, is you simply are not experienced enough yet, and your arms are still working against the legs. I have 2 technics of going up hill - if it's a short hill, I power mash up it by pulling hard on the handlebars - if it's a long hill, I spin up it with relaxed hands. As far as your knee pain, it could be that you need to move the boom out a little - you may kneed to experiment with it, by moving it out or in until pain is gone. I had to do this over a period on about 6 ride before I got it just right for me. Search this forum for bags and water bottles, lots of good ideas.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your continued progress!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For the knee

I have a baulky left knee from a teenage water ski accident. Apparently you aren't suppose to collide with the dock....

On the Silvio I tried SPD so I could be more sure footed but it just aggravated the knee. You situation will be unique but if you get knee pain consider floating pedals like SpeedPlay or Egg Beaters etc. I've learned over the years if the knee hurts it's a good chance it's the pedals not the bike.

jimbo3b

Clipless is the way to go

I use SPDs and Keen Commuter III sandals on my Sofrider and conversion. I keep the pedals on the loosest setting, so the act of putting my foot down easily pops them out of the pedals. They are solid for me when pedaling straight ahead, and I don't get knee pain. I absolutely love clipping in, and have never had a problem at a normal stop.

I don't feel like clipping in helps me steer, though there may be an advantage. Instead, the biggest advantage is the ability to turn the pedals through a circle without worrying about dropping a foot, and thereby bouncing my heel off the road.

When you're first learning to ride you're best off just coasting down hill. I leave one leg almost straight, and the bike will want to drift to the opposite side. My first few steep downhills were terrifying, but now I look forward to them. As long as you don't run out of gears, keep the power on. The pedaling motion seems to keep the bike stable.

Most of us find the transition from not pedaling to pedaling to be the hard part. I find that when the road levels out and I want to pedal again, I'm better off if the gear is a little too high, and I start applying gentle slow pressure on the pedals. As the crank starts to spin around and I'm in the flow again I downshift as needed.

hurri47

notes on downhill speed

The standard advice for beginners having stability issues is to take feet off the pedals and just coast until you feel comfortable again. You are probably past this stage, but the ideal for coasting is still slack knees.

On my other recumbents, I used to coast like Jimbo with one leg nearly straight, but on the Ctuzbike I find this adds a slight amount of steering bias that I find destabilizing. My default coasting posture on all my recumbents now is to go for minimal pressure on both legs. I simply sit with slack knees at the same height. This also eases the transition back to pedalling, increasing foot speed until you catch up with bike speed.

-Dan

Shahmatt

I was nervous about the idea

I was nervous about the idea of switching to clipless. The city I live in (Singapore) has heavy, fast moving traffic so I wanted to be able to put my foot down quickly if I lost control. Also the road junctions are many and at close intervals over here meaning I have to stop, unclip and wait often.

However Ivan (from Singapore as well) does use clipless pedals on his Silvio - though I know not how well he likes them.

I switched to the Ergon PC-2 large pedals to compensate. Reviews seem to suggest that these pedals are a good alternative to clipless if you want to keep using platform pedals. I am personally unable to comment on the difference having never used clipless pedals before, but I like them.

Ergon5.jpg

They increase my geek factor by quite a bit.

Jeremy S

Dude
I rode typical platform

I rode typical platform pedals for many years -- on DF bikes, on a Sofrider, and then on my newly built Silvio. I've never had any issues with platform pedals like feet slipping off, in my experience they have been very secure and comfortable. However I decided to try SPD cleats on my Silvio last year, since clipless pedals are so highly recommended in general.

I went through a really steep learning curve with the SPDs at first of not being able to figure out how to clip in. Then finally I figured out the right foot motion, and things were pretty good. I had to adjust the boom and move the pedals out a bit. And of course I had to get used to unclipping at least one foot every time I stopped, and clipping back in every time I started. So some hassle, but no observable benefits. I didn't magically gain perfect control over the bike and I still can't ride with no hands.

I've stuck with it and I've gotten comfortable with clipping/unclipping, so it's not a hassle anymore. I do get a bit of "hot foot" or discomfort near the beginning of a ride, but it usually goes away after 5 miles or so. For a while trying to push/pull with opposite legs just tired me out really quickly, but lately that technique seems to be helping me power up short hills or speed up from a stop, so maybe I'm finally getting some benefit.

OK, ramble over.

timt

Tried toe clips- nope

I've been using spd's for years.
When built my silvio, i put a pair of old platform pedals with toe clips on the bike. I wanted to be able to get my feet down fast. First ride, I used the side of the pedal without clips, and kept unintentionally lifting my foot off the pedal (nothing to keep it attached).

After a couple of loops of the neighborhood I decided to stick my toes into the toe clips. Gravity makes the clip want to hang under the pedal. You have to flick it with your foot to rotate it 180 degrees (90 degrees on a DF bike) so that you can stuff your foot into the clip. I found that flicking, catching, trying to stuff my foot in, while trying to counter pedal steer and dodge the ice patches on the road was a little too complex for me as an MBB newbie. More often than not, I found myself squashing the clip under my foot.

I might be able to handle clipped pedals now that I've put a few more miles on the bike. I like my clipless pedals (similar SPD pedals on all my bikes) and don't have to worry about my feet falling off the pedals as they might with clips.

After about 10 miles of platform pedal use, I put shimano pd-m540's on the bike and have been much happier since. I don't always clip in immediately. But when I'm ready to clip, it's much simpler.

Again, I've been using SPD's for years. Disengaging from clipless pedals is reflex. There's an occasional minor wobble when I disengage as i roll up to a stop.

LarryOz

Thanks for all the comments so far

All,
This forum is great, and I love the way so may people are so eager to share their experiences, good and bad.
I would like to report that I did throw a set of pedals with toe clips on my Silvio last night and threw caution to the wind and decided to go out on the main road last night. (The main road was soooo smooth compared to my neighborhood road. liked that part. Still uneasy with cars passing me, but it got better as I road.
I'll have to say I road with toe clips for many years and even raced with them (decades ago). I got to where I could flip them up, stuff my foot in, and tighten the strap in one very quick and easy motion. Not so with the Silvio. WOW! and forget trying to tighten them up. Catch reach up that far and not fall out of the seat. I did manage to finally get my feet into both toe clips, but having to stop and start and redo it each time at a stop light really got old quickly.
My little jaunt was only nine miles, and it came after about 60 other miles that day on my DF, but I can still report that I did feel more comfortable with my feet in the toe clips, even if I did not have them cinched up. Which meant I could not really take advantage of "pulling" with them. Even with that I managed to average just under 20 mph for the little ride! I was quick pleased, plus really happy not to get run over by the way!
On my DF I have MTB snap in pedals and really like them. I am hopefully going to give them a try tonight and update my findings on this thread.
Thanks again to everyone for their input.
Larry

ratz

Strap based clips?

Did you just say you use strap based clips? Yikes you are one brave person to try those; I can't get my feet out of those even on a regular bike without killing myself.

LarryOz

Yes - Toe clips with straps!

yeah - first and last time I will try that one!
At least I am alive to tell everyone not to try it.

ratz

Go Clipless young man....

Ok West is better but....

This is one of the better references for clippless options.

http://thebiketube.com/blog/comprehensive-list-top-ten-clipless-bike-pedals

?not bad either

http://bikeline.com/buyers-guides/all-about-clipless-pedals-pg273.htm

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz,
Thanks for the best

Ratz,
Thanks for the best pedal links!!!
You are encyclopedia of bike parts!
This Forum is one of the great aspects of being a Cruzbiker.

SS

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Everyone Uses Clipless

But not everyone is like everyone else.

I'm special.

I've used Powergrip pedal straps for years on my very own pet Sofrider
and they work just fine for me.

Why be so stubbornly different, you ask?
You did not ask, you say?
Well... pretend you did!

Since I don't race, I can't justify purchasing racing kit.
In my opinion, clipless cleats, pedals and shoes,
the clipless system, is racing gear.
It is expensive.
Most importantly, none of it will work well for me, unmodified.

Light running shoes work great on my custom platform pedals;
they work fantastically well with the powergrips.

Without changing pedals, while the bike is on the trainer, I can pedal barefoot.
Try that with your clipless pedals!

You know, it's O.K.
I understand.
Clipless is how it's done.
You must fit in!
Clipless pedaling systems work very, very well and you won't be sorry
you learned to use them.

But...
I'm special.

-Steve

ratz

Use what works

steve that's cool. I was gaufaing at the thought of strap clips, those antiques can kill you. Platform pedals are still great, we keep all our quests with the stock pedals, on our trails clipless would kill you if you used the. while i wouldnt ride bare foot, sandles are nice on liesure rides.

As for cost, used pedals abound and are cheap and usually in fine condition. it is the shoes that tend to break the bank, bad shoes and hard riding will wreck your feet. if you ride long and hard you have to protect the feet and thats when it matters. otherwise it bling for many people..

enjoy the ride.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Enormous bucketloads of

Enormous bucketloads of wisdom emanate from yakmurph. I have had heel-clips on my Grasshopper for years. I made them from toe-clips - the plastic ones that have no straps. I do not have a proper workshop, but I was lucky to find some bits with which I could make them fit perfectly. I was using the same pedals on the Grasshopper and the Silvio, until I was lucky enough to find some more scrap metal, enabling me to make a new pair. I don't think they are as efficient as clipless, but I can pull on the downstroke, and my feet don't fall out backwards. I am a bit scared of clipless, but I can disengage from these really easily. Heel-clips hang down, so I don't have to try to twiddle the pedals round when I start off.

Someone should manufacture these. I don't know where to start on that, but it must be simpler than manufacturing a whole bike.