looking for riding tips with toe-clips or snap in shoes, general steering and uphill/downhill riding

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The bits of metal and plastic

The bits of metal and plastic are used as spacers. I ride on my insteps. Those who ride on their balls (of their feet) would need bigger spacers. Because of AndrewBaloga I got Hostel Shoppe heel-slings, but they were not comfortable.

Poppabear

Thanks for the Pictures!

Bladderhead - Thanks for the pictures they really help. I got some old toe clips that I am going to have to dig out and see what I can do with them.

Kim Tolhurst

Hint when starting in traffic

and in particular at the lights. Stand up over bike when waiting to Go, take two or three steps, (as in First Ride vid.) slide into seat, don't lean all the way back, there is the momentum to peddle. For down hill, relax legs (when rolling) keep arms and shoulders quite rigid, gentle leaning with head and shoulders will then guide your bike.

best,

Kim.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
@Poppabear - Glad someone

@Poppabear - Glad someone likes my idea.

Congratulations to larryoslund. On starting off, until I have both feet on the pedals, I hardly push at all. I can't get away very quickly. Trying to go like a greyhound out of the trap causes big pedal steer and big wheel-spin, so I gave that up. Hard acceleration when both feet are on the pedals.

I saw the pictures of BentAero's Ven. Look to your laurels, Ivan.

My Grasshopper pedal pictures got inverted somehow. Ozzie strikes again.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Communted to work first time today

I put my MTB pedals on my SIlvio this Saturday and road 37 miles. Another 40 on Sunday. About 1/2 each day on main roads. Felt pretty good! I think I am finally getting used to the bike on the open road.
Road with BentAero part of the day on Sunday. He is building an awesome Vendetta (repainted the beautiful Bronze), but it is not on the road yet. Can't wait for that. Thanks again Gary for the pointers and help on the open road riding!

Hardest parts now for me are stopping and starting in traffic and high speed downhills with twists and curves!
Today (Monday) - I could not stand it - just had to go for the commute to work.
Made it! Only 10 miles, and a little scary at times with all the traffic.
Beat my best (DF) time by over 3 minutes, and was not even really trying to push it. Great first commute!
I have a feeling when BentAero gets his Vendetta built and on the road, I am going to have to upgrade to one to keep up with him!

LarryOz

reply to Kim - I cant stand up on the Silvio

Hi Kim,
Thanks for your idea about walking. I think your bike is a Quest which has you more upright and handles not as close into your body.
WIth my Silvio 2.0 it is impossible for me (unless I am just not ply-able enough) to actually stand up on the bike and walk forward.
I tried it at lunch. I only works if I am pointed slightly downhill.
I think the trick is going to be to just gear it way down low so you don't have to push so hard on the first pedal to get a little momentum.
I will try and practice with the technique.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Cruz Moose Video

Larry,

Checkout Hardy's video of him mounting the Cruz Moose with a Slide and Glide technique. This is basically what Kim is describing. It's an obvious technique after you master the bike; but when I first start I never would have thought of it and Hardy has it nailed.

http://youtu.be/1jJrYomlrts

Info shamelessly lifted from http://cruzbikesilvio.wordpress.com/about/

LarryOz

Cruz Moose Video - Silvio starting challenge (uphill grades)

Bob,
Thanks for the link to the video.
Yes, I can see how this is done and have tried it myself, and can seem to start pretty easily when the ground is flat. Once the incline is much more than 1/2%, then I can't really generate enough speed to get a decent push to be able to slide down and keep it going before my feet and legs can engage the pedals. It might be because I am not tall enough to be able to stand back far enough on the seat to get a couple good steps, or it also may be because I just have not developed a good enough sense of balance on the Silvio yet.
( I do have a pair of rollers I used to ride my DF on. I got where I could ride indefinitely without any hands using the rollers. Perhaps setting them up and practicing on them with the Silvio will help enhance my balance on it. Anyone out there tried this with success?)

I also just got done experimenting with different starting grades.
My premise was correct: Fully seated and in riding position: If I gear my bike in the lowest gear I can pretty much push my right pedal easily and gain enough momentum to remain balanced and get my other foot on the left pedal and keep going. (I think this method will help me dramatically starting in traffic. I think I have just had the gear too hard and therefore had to push too hard.)
I will have to measure the grades I tried, but I believe I was able to use this method effectively up to a 6% grade. The front tire actually spun slightly until it caught. (I might try and have my son video me doing this tomorrow.)

Does anyone else have any videos of Slide and Glide technique on starting grades of 1% and up? I would love to see them.

Thanks in advance for all the comments. It is great to have all the different perspectives!

ratz

Also Try

Practice pedaling with on foot clipped in and the other one waving in the air for balance. I find that useful for starting and for slowing down at intersections; Especially if I forget to downshift and need to at the last second.

After about 2-3% I start:

1) foot on the ground
2) other foot clipped in. (I can only do right foot)
3) Both brakes LOCKED so I don't roll backwards
4) Sitting up pulling on bars (at least half way)
5) Full Pressure on right foot against brake
6) Release both brakes; push right foot; PULL right hand to oppose the foot.
7) lean just a little to the left.
8) Before Right foot bottoms out Have Left foot off ground
9) As soon as left pedal is viable; lift left foot to pedal height push pedal and pull handbar with left hand to counter the foot.

It took some practice but I can "burn out" the front tire with that technique on level ground and most incline starts are doable. Sometime I do rock back and forth on the brakes as I get the nerve to go if it's really steep; but so far it works.

That was a lot harder to write than it is todo....

Practice on flat ground.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I do the slide and glide with

I do the slide and glide with my V. Tighter cockpit and more recline but it really is easy once you get the hang of it. Fun too.

-Eric

LarryOz

Completed my first Century today!

Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions for learning to ride my Silvio.
I have riden about 500 miles in the last 2 weeks and think I am finally getting the hang of it!
Still can't ride without my hands though... may never..??

Today I completed my first Century!
We are vacationing at Hilton Head Island, SC and I thought it would be a good place try it! Nice and flat, unlike the mountains where I come from (near Asheville, NC)
My goal was to get under 6 hours! I finished in 4:55:3, so I am very happy with the time!
This was the first time in the last 30 years that I have riden that far.
My next goal is to ride a double Century, then a 12 hour, then I guess a 24! Who knows..
I do have more questions about endurance riding and how to carry and access your food on Cruzbike recumbents, so I think I will start new thread for that, after I look around and see if there isn't already a thread on this subject.
Thanks again to everyone for all the help and suggestions

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Ride without hands?

Still can't ride without my hands though... may never..??
I thought the same thing.

On my Silvio 1.0 I pretty much gave up trying until about 5-6K miles (I think I mentioned it on here somewhere when I finally succeeded)
I think - It's kindof a parlor trick
EXCEPT
It means you are really able to use your legs to control your steering which *might just mean* that you are reducing any unnecessary load on your arms during long pulls.
AND
It means you are able to keep going and peel a banana/granola bar without losing too much time on the open road.

That said, I have about 17K miles on my Silvio 1.0 and about 600 miles on my new-to-me Vendetta II and while I CAN pedal no-hands on the Vendetta, it isn't as easy (or the same as?) the Silvio 1.0.
There is enough difference between the two to make it harder for me on the Vendetta.

Does that mean it's just different or "objectively more difficult"?
I tend to think it's something like 80% just different (because I can do it) and 20% objectively more difficult (because so fully reclined I have less of the hip/lower back muscles available to re-center my balance.

LOVE watching your miles rack up on Strava BTW.
You make me keep going too!

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
You have to control the

You have to control the direction your feet push, when riding without hands. That inherently seems a bit easier if you are sitting up.

ratz

One more thing

One other thing to remember is that balance is a core muscle function (every seen the torso muscle on gymnists?);

On a bike the Trunk/Torso Muscle control balance; and the father you lay back the more the shoulder come into play too. So as you get into better and better shape with those core muscle the more you'll have fine grain twitch control which should improve your balance. It's always been the case for me that I can't balance no handed on any bike for tootie in April; but by October I can do really stupid things. The leg thing matters a ton, but I do believe that you can be a no-pedal-steer deity and if you core is week you won't be riding no handed.

BentAero

The techniques Bob describes

The techniques Bob describes in post 29 are exactly the same as I use when riding any recumbent. I blundered onto it years ago while trying to get across an intersection and couldn't get my left foot clipped in. So I just powered across with one leg realizing, hey, this works pretty good. I've been purposely doing it ever since. Since I'm still learning the handling of the V, this has worked very well bringing me up to 'balance speed' from a dead stop.