Loving the Silvio

Hello all,

So, I've had my Silvio for a few weeks now. I've been out on it 5 times now, for a total of 125 miles or so. Learning it was fun. It was a bit wobbley and zigzaggy at first, as many others have described here, but honestly the learning curve is not as bad as I thought it would be. I would say it's no harder learning to ride a Cruzbike than it is to ride a DF on rollers. And it definitely becomes easier as you go. My next goal is to be able to ride the Silvio on rollers. I tried that very briefly today. I think it's doable, but I need to adjust the rollers for the Silvio's wheelbase, so I didn't try very long

Anyway, today was my first 'real' ride. I went 50 miles today with a friend who I've been riding with many times before. There are usually three of us in our group, and I am always the one trying to catch up with the others. Not today. Not on the Silvio. I spent most of the ride in the lead and slowed down many times so he could catch up. Now In fairness, he did say he cramped up near the end of the ride, but I still had no problem staying in front before his cramps set in. There is a set of rollers about halfway through that always set me back. Today I just got further ahead with each one.

I got a rack with the bike, and bought a bag to go on it. I used to ride with a camelback, so I put the camelback's bladder inside the bag on my rack. I let just enough camelback hose come out of the bag so that the end of hose sits on my shoulder. It stayed put pretty well during the ride, and stayed cold the whole time.

This bike was a big purchase for me, and I have no regrets. I bought it mostly due to back pain, but there are so many other benefits I hadn't counted on. Anyone want to buy a 2006 Felt F55? :)

-John

kenhardwick

Assembling Silvio

John,
Sounds like you are enjoying your new Silvio. I've ordered a Silvio Frameset last week along with the Shimano Ultegra Triple Assembly Pack.
I'm planning on assembling the frameset but don't have the expertise to install the components.
So, thinking I will have to hire local bikeshop to do that.

Did you complete the installation yourself or hire one of the bike shops in Allen ?

Any specific issues during the installations ?

Thanks,
Ken Hardwick
Norman, OK

I actually ordered one from

I actually ordered one from FFR Trikes. They built it for me and shipped it assembled. I did not want to have to mess with assembly. Looks like it wouldn't have been too tough to assemble, except maybe getting the brakes and shifters tuned right, and there is always LBS for that. Good luck!

2nd real ride

This bike just gets better and better.

So, I went on my 2nd 'real' ride this weekend. This time both of my usual riding buddies were there. The one who hadn't seen it before (the fastest of the three of us), on first sight of my bike said "Ok, let me take a look at this contraption".

Early on he took the lead going up hills, and I would pass on the way down. After about 45 minutes of that, I got in front and stayed there for pretty much the rest of the ride. On about 4 of the hills mid-ride, I slowed down to let them catch up so we would be together at the beginning of the up hill, then I'd turn it on and easily pull away from them on the way up. Most of the time I'd slow down again after that to let them catch up, but a few times I stopped completely to wait because they were out of sight in my rearview mirror.

At the end of the 50 mile ride, he says to me "John, if the biking federation shows up at your house this week wanting blood and urine samples, I had nothing to do with it!"

Now I know people on this forum don't know me, so I want to say that I'm really not one to brag, and I'm not bragging on myself at all. I am sure these guys would still whoop me if I got back on my DF. These two posts are just meant as a testament to the Cruzbike. It is a fast, fast, comfortable bike. If you are having doubts on buying one, my advice is to put them aside and do it.

I did my first century last year on a DF. Averaged 15.4 mph. My goal for the year was to do it faster. This year (also on the DF) I was disappointed that I didn't make it through any faster, but I did feel less exhausted at the end of it. Based on the past few weeks, I am starting to feel pretty confident that I can add at least 1 or 2 mph to that speed for next year. So far it seems that I'm about 2 or 3 mph faster on 40-50 mile rides, and I'm still not even clipped in!

-John