Made the Leap to CruzBike

RideOn

My story is similar to others here on the forum, transitioning from years on a DF to the idea of trying a recumbent. Then came the research into which recumbent design to narrow down the choices.
My wife had stopped riding her DF bike due to back issues, so the first recumbent went to her. After test riding 2 stick frame designs (a Rans and a Bacchetta), the LBS also showed us a used Rans Tailwind, a compact long wheelbase. It looked brand new, after adjusting the bars and seat, she gave it a ride. This was the one. Relaxed, slow steering and easy for her to get her feet down. She named it Sally, so I know she really loves her new (to her) bike.
For the next month we rode together, her on the recumbent, me still on my upright DF. The wife was perfectly comfortable, and I was still getting the numb wrists and butt pains after 10-20 mile rides.

So that led to the search for my first recumbent. Top candidates - Bacchetta, Rans, Schlitter, or Cruzbike.
After considering the type of riding conditions we come across while traveling full-time, I felt that a pure road bike wasn't the answer, the bike would need to have wider tires for dirt/gravel/stone trails.
That narrowed it down to maybe the Schlitter or a Cruzbike. I wanted to lean towards the Silvio, but felt the QX100 was the better choice. Especially after reading through this forum and the BentRider forum.
So after speaking to Robert about delivery times, I placed my order and a week later a brand new green QX100 arrived. After watching the YouTube assembly videos, I had it put together in a few hours. Spent a while double checking everything and adjusting the boom for a first time rider.
I resisted the urge to attempt to just go for it and ride it. Following the Ratz protocol, I pushed the bike to a nearby sloped parking lot and started practicing - after 30 minutes of drills I went for it and started pedaling.
It was easier than I was made to believe, but still a totally different experience.

Day 1: Get acquainted day. Start without immediately putting my foot back down. Wife advised me to just commit to the start. Go slow. Staying in a low gear to keep cadence up. Corner with/without pedaling. Keep it simple. Aim for riding a straight line, using the lines in the parking lot. Take your feet off the pedals and steer w/ your arms, that saved me a few times when things didn't feel right. This bike is fun!
Day 2: Two rides of "drills" and a short ride on a really wide path. Practiced figure eights, starts/stops, uphill starts, imagined riding through tight spaces (tried staying in a half lane). The free ride gave me a chance to shift through all the gears and check out the bike. Noticed a rubbing noise in the rear, discovered the kickstand was just touching the rear disc. Will have to adjust/tweak. The seating position is very comfortable.
Day 3: Drills and had fun riding the wide path again. I got brave enough to scratch my nose. I'm not to the point of letting go of the bars to wave at other people yet. To drink from the water bottle requires a stop, I can't reach back to grab the bottle yet.
Day 4: Rest day - other commitments, no riding. Spent some time checking over the bike, tightened the seat pan and noticed the rear brake cable housing looks a little tight.

I think drilling was an important part of the learning process. Many thanks to the forum members for their tips and advice.

KneeDrachen

Congrats! I am one week in to S30 ownership and am behind you in progress. I look forward to hearing of your adventures and experiences!

RideOn

I'm trying to up the miles on our daily rides - we are fortunate to be on the Alabama Gulf Coast with mild weather through the month of November. I can now:
  • Ride one handed and wave at people
  • Start off, I can start leading with my dominant right foot every time and maybe 80% of the time with my left.
  • Reach back and touch the water bottle, but can't pull it out while riding.
The rear rack works great for hauling, I added the RackTime basket. (Campmor beat Amazon prices with a 10% off coupon). I thought riding with a load would feel different, but it's not noticeable at all.

The state park we are RV camping at has a great trail system, so getting two rides in daily is nice. We have been averaging 11-12 MPH, with sprints into the 15-16 MPH range. I tend to start weaving slightly when trying to push the speeds up, trying to work on smoothing that out.

I purchased the Speedplay Frogs and did the spindle flip modification. I will wait another few weeks before attempting to ride clipped in. But I think that will aid the smoothness while increasing the cadence.

The goal is to ride an 8 mile loop twice daily to prepare for our next stop near the St. Tammany Trace trail in Louisiana. I would like to get my "bent" legs ready for a 15 mile one way ride to a coffee stop at a trailhead and then ride back.

1happyreader

zen/child method
I tend to start weaving slightly when trying to push the speeds up
MBB (moving bottom bracket) and a higher cadence showed me how late my non-dominate leg was. I will keep trying to upgrade to two legged pedaling.... someday.
Don't think you will have so much trouble, just keep on like you are doing and once in a while pay more attention to that pesky left leg.
Smooth is fast !!!

RideOn

What does flipping the frog spindles do?
It allows you to unclip by rotating your foot outwards (the normal position) or inwards. I like this and the float feature as compared to the SPD pedals that I have been using. I can't post hyperlinks yet, do a forum search for "frog" to see Ratz's post that explains it all very well.

CruzLike

Guru
I'm trying to up the miles on our daily rides - we are fortunate to be on the Alabama Gulf Coast with mild weather through the month of November. I can now:
  • Ride one handed and wave at people
  • Start off, I can start leading with my dominant right foot every time and maybe 80% of the time with my left.
  • Reach back and touch the water bottle, but can't pull it out while riding.
The rear rack works great for hauling, I added the RackTime basket. (Campmor beat Amazon prices with a 10% off coupon). I thought riding with a load would feel different, but it's not noticeable at all.

The state park we are RV camping at has a great trail system, so getting two rides in daily is nice. We have been averaging 11-12 MPH, with sprints into the 15-16 MPH range. I tend to start weaving slightly when trying to push the speeds up, trying to work on smoothing that out.

I purchased the Speedplay Frogs and did the spindle flip modification. I will wait another few weeks before attempting to ride clipped in. But I think that will aid the smoothness while increasing the cadence.

The goal is to ride an 8 mile loop twice daily to prepare for our next stop near the St. Tammany Trace trail in Louisiana. I would like to get my "bent" legs ready for a 15 mile one way ride to a coffee stop at a trailhead and then ride back.

Welcome to the tribe. You are making good progress. Glad to see you are taking advantage of the extended riding season down south.

Happy guy. At my place it looks like this:
View attachment 3802

Mzweili, I'm glad there are people on this site that help me appreciate the weather in Indy. :D

Frisard

Like yourself, I am relatively new to QX100. Got mine about the same time. Did a lot of 'drilling' on an 8 acre parking lot. Been out on the roads for awhile now. Doing 15 miles or so every day. Try to ride at low traffic times of day. Installed an electric hub, which helps at the intersections where there are many pesky car and truck drivers. Also, kind of fun getting up to 25mph with the traffic.

I really like this ride. I switched from the DF for all the reasons others do, primarily pain in crotch, wrists and neck. Too much pain at 65yo. The laid back ride is great! It's like sitting in my recliner vs. the kitchen chair. Except for the 'recumbent butt' after 30mins or so. I have the seat set at mid setting, 40 degrees? I will drop it down to 35degees after I get more experience riding. I understand laying back further helps.

I specifically bought the QX100 for adventure touring. Bought a set of Radicals, lots of room. And the electric hub will give me assist with hills.

(I have a set of frogs I bought 25yrs ago for my Canondale. Never liked them much. Can't get out of them quick enough.)

As to weather: I live in the central San Joaquin Valley, California. At this time of year there is much Tule fog, which can hang in for weeks, even months. Have to wait for it to lift each day (rarely burns off). But, we are about 90mins from coast (fog only in summer) and 60mins to Sierra foothills (above fog). Looking forward to some good rides in the Spring.

Layne

thot i recognized the pool/store/laundry parking lot at the gulf state park in those pics !

Im from about 4 hours north of gulf shores but have spent some time in the park and love the trails !!

RideOn

thot i recognized the pool/store/laundry parking lot at the gulf state park in those pics !

Im from about 4 hours north of gulf shores but have spent some time in the park and love the trails !!
You guessed correctly! We are back riding the 8 mile loop now that the weather has warmed back up. The park is still building new trails and expanding to new areas.