manuvirablitiy

Lief

Guru Schmuru
As always - It depends

jhjanek,

The biggest factor (after you get used to riding the MBB) that I have found is choice of handlebars.
I run straight drops - and your knees can get in the way of the sharpest, very low speed, turns.

If you have bullhorns - which I did for about 4 weeks - you can almost pedal through anything you can turn safely turn through.

If you use flare-bars - you are almost as good as bullhorns but might find minor problems at turns where your knee and bar end are aligned - you can usually move your knee and these are typically VERY low speed turns.

Anything over ~7mph, turns aren't sharp enough to have any real problems pedalling like normal.
Lief

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I'm a three day Silvio rookie

I'm a three day Silvio rookie and am finding turning is more of a confidence factor than anything else. I'm able to turn respectable figure eights without difficulty. I'll try and post a video tomorrow.

Trekster

Same advice

Don't forget the same advice (admonition) they teach in beginner's motorcycle class; always turn your head and eyes towards where you want to end up after your turn. Never look at the thing you want to avoid hitting, in a sharp turn.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Here is a quick video.

Here is a quick video. As you can see turning is really no different than any other bike. Hope you enjoy.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
What didn't I like about bullhorns...

I didn't like the reach and the angles I was left with.
I'm 5'10 (178cm) on a Silvio 1.0
I can't bring the the TTT (telescoping top tube) horizontal enough because I don't have a chainstay extender and still have the cross-portion of handlebar low enough to make bullhorns comfortable (or angled correctly) for ease-of-use and leverage (leverage isn't much of a problem tho).

If I ever pull the trigger on a chainstay extension - or perhaps upgrade to a newer bike - then I will probably go with the bullhorns.
I already run bar-end-shifters, not the greatest on the drops but simpler and more reliable than SRAM brifters (I've broken 3 of them).

Lief

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I do use the head rest but it

I do use the head rest but it just happened to be off this morning. It hurts me head! I am looking at using an M5 headrest .

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
@trplay, that's very good

@trplay, that's very good turning skills for "a three day Silvio rookie"! Have you ridden any MBB format before this?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Most people have

My first bike was a HPV MBB. A red, blazingly fast, fixie (no brakes, single speed). You Probably did also. In 1957 they just called them tricycles and they were actually affordable. I spent hours on the porch honing my skills. Soon afterwards I moved on to "traditional" bikes and hadn't touched another MBB until now. It's funny when you think about it. A MBB isn't so strange after all. I suspect the majority of riders learn on a MBB first.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
My first bike was a HPV MBB.

My first bike was a HPV MBB. A red, blazingly fast, fixie (no brakes, single speed). You Probably did also. In 1957 they just called them tricycles and they were actually affordable. I spent hours on the porch honing my skills. Soon afterwards I moved on to "traditional" bikes and hadn't touched another MBB until now. It's funny when you think about it. A MBB isn't so strange after all. I suspect the majority of riders learn on a MBB first.

Ha!! :D

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Beautiful that's it! 

Beautiful that's it! I still remember a few years later they came up with a new redesigned model. Carbon fiber (plastic), Bigger wheel, more aero--- the "Mattel Big Wheel". It got the neighborhood rocking.

Ivan

Guru
Tricycle or no tricycle,

Tricycle or no tricycle, that's still a quick learning curve to do figure eights that smoothly! To answer the original question...no problem with street corners, or tight and narrow lanes in the park, but now after a few months I still can't navigate a messy bunch of cars at traffic lights as well as I can on a DF. But that is an extreme case with me commuting in a busy city and not one that bothers me significantly.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Ivan,  do you sit up in those

Ivan, do you sit up in those conditions? This was my major fitting problem, (still working on it). I find if I sit straight up and pedal I can negotiate in those dicey situations. This can be hard to do based on where one places their handlebars.

Ivan

Guru
I can't fully sit up straight

I can't fully sit up straight due to my low handlebar position (due to chainstay extender). Also my BB is quite high so sitting up is not all that comfortable. I start/stop all while lying down. When it gets REALLY tight then I disengage pedals and fully sit up. I can only fully sit up by scooting back up the seat and sitting on the seat back. I am fine with this compromise as I really like the handlebar position for the 99.9% of the rest of the time.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You describe my problem

You describe my problem perfectly. I'm looking for that compromise position that gives both. I can solve handlebar reach, and leg extension but then knee interference is the show stopper.

Jeremy S

Dude
I sit up often in tight

I sit up often in tight trafficky situations, and I find the Silvio to be very maneuverable when I do. I would guess (based on past reading about recumbents) that the reasons are (1) better control over balance with the torso upright and free to shift around, and (2) better judgment of steering angles with the eyes closer to the steering axis. I have no chainstay extension, a fairly low bottom bracket, and lots of room to sit up. I do pedal while sitting up and turning.