Mark's V20

pedlpadl

Finally all put together. I rode awhile with no handlebar tape so no pics until now.
Ultegra 6800 group set
50/34 front, 11/32 rear (bottom?)
165mm cranks
Ultegra wheel set

The wheels aren't the best but I got them for $300 and they're tubeless ready.

I'm getting much better at the slow speed stuff. Took her out on the road to do some hills today. Downhill was scary. Steering is so twitchy you have to be really careful not to overreact. I hope in time it gets easier to handle at speed.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Finally all put together. I rode awhile with no handlebar tape so no pics until now.

Excellent;

Downhill was scary. Steering is so twitchy you have to be really careful not to overreact. I hope in time it gets easier to handle at speed.

Like everything else; relax and practice. Going down hill is all about a low center of gravity and relaxing. Since you can't put your weight on your feet it's hard to load downward. True of any recumbent.

So on your first hills, focus on putting your weight on you sit bones, let you thigh go heavy as you can; and relax your shoulders. Be deadman heavy like if you are trying to mess with someone trying to carry you. Then coast. It should pretty much look like this video of going 35mph down hill coasting. Much of this video was one handed (itchy nose if I recall correctly).

It you tense up; it does get twitchy; but that's the rider not the bike. The other veterans will confirm that. As you advance you can also go to more narrow handlebars which in turn reduces your leverage and makes it harder to over-correct. The wide handle bars a good for beginners, opinions vary as to whether they are good once you figure it all out.

mzweili

Guru
Downhill was scary.
I made a downhill at 45 mph (72 Km/h) with my Silvio. My only concern was: what will happen if something fails (i.e. tire, fork or skewer).
Downhill makes fun, but you have to earn it, either before or after ;-)

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey Mark,

Nice bike! I have the same wheel set; great value! Your tires look quite thin so I guess you pumped them up really high? You might find with 28mm you get a more enjoyable ride.

Couldn't quite see the pedals but in the beginning stages I would not want to clip in.

You might prefer to put a cushion on the headrest to bring you further upright whilst you get the hang of it.

When going down hill , keep telling yourself to relax.

It's a pretty awesome experience eh!

Nothing quite like it. You might want a bigger chain wheel up front.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Ease into it. In my experience the hardest time for new people (and it was for me) is that in-between time when you think you have mastered it. Don't get in over your head.

When at speed and coasting, understand what gear you need to be in and ease into the power to start pedaling again - don't slam back into the pedals or you will get into trouble rapidly.

Know at what speed and cadence you spin out - so that way you can ease back into the power when you are below that threshold.

pedlpadl

Nice bike! I have the same wheel set; great value! Your tires look quite thin so I guess you pumped them up really high? You might find with 28mm you get a more enjoyable ride.

They are Continental GP 4000 IIs, 25c. I have tubes in them but will be going tubeless soon. I run them at 90 psi. The ride isn't bad.

pedlpadl

wesome! Ease into it. In my experience the hardest time for new people (and it was for me) is that in-between time when you think you have mastered it. Don't get in over your head.
Thanks Robert I've seen your posts in this vein before. Believe me, I've had visions of losing control and wobbling into oncoming traffic. I will be taking it slowly.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. It is always a bit shocking to me to watch people just barely get it and then immediately start trying to get into the high 20 - 30 mph range before really learning how the bike handles.

SamP

Guru
On my conversion kit bike the steering was twitchy for me for awhile, about 18 months later I was coasting down hills at 40 mph at Shenandoah National Park. What a blast, but I was a bit nervous.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
On my conversion kit bike the steering was twitchy for me for awhile, about 18 months later I was coasting down hills at 40 mph at Shenandoah National Park. What a blast, but I was a bit nervous.
A little nervousness is probably a good thing... keeping yourself aware of the abrasive nature of the surface you're riding on
and of how little protection you have between the road surface and all of the pain receptors on your skin!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
how little protection you have between the road surface and all of the pain receptors on your skin!
And believe me there are many, many of those "pain receptors"... I am trusting they sleep dormantly the rest of this year for me!
Of course, I'll still pick sliding down and getting road rash all over my hips and arms, versus getting run over by a 4000+ vehicle.. :eek:

ratz

When at speed and coasting, understand what gear you need to be in and ease into the power to start pedaling again - don't slam back into the pedals or you will get into trouble rapidly.

Know at what speed and cadence you spin out - so that way you can ease back into the power when you are below that threshold.

This video from Rick demonstrates the easing back into it at speed well. Some where in this video I believe he actually pedals.

ratz

Oh wait this is the one with pedaling. :cool:

Since there's no video of the climb it probably never happened. :eek:

[[Moto pacing conspiracy in 3...2....1...]]:p

pedlpadl

Last nights ride was all clipped in. No problems with slow stuff while clipped in. Worked on keeping a line while going faster, and riding with one hand. I still get in trouble with one hand off while pedaling. Here's a short video from a few days ago showing a level start and couple of slow turns.

VenRiderGuy

Mark, you had me worried for the first few seconds of your video. When you initially pedaled out of sight, I was thinking that I might hear some :eek: crashing noises, but then you came back into view.....good show. :D