Max tire size 650b

Do we have the final verdict on the max tire size front/rear that would fit a Silvio 2/3 on 650 b rims? Are we talking 35 mm, 38 or 42? Nominal size and actual measurements, if any were taken.

I have last years' Vendetta, so the front triangle should be same as the Silvio. This year I went up from 32 to 38 (Compass 650B Loup Loup Pass) on the front. My caliper reads 39 mm (1.54") wide at 60 psi. Don't expect anything larger will fit.
IMG_2527.JPG
The ride is comfortable and stable as long as pressure is kept above 40 psi when it feels squirrelly. I have the Compass 650B x 42 on the rear.

42 in front? No can do. I measure 41.6 mm across where the tire is. The left side has less space than pictured here. There has been some rubbing, possibly while braking.

42 in front? No can do. I measure 41.6 mm across where the tire is. The left side has less space than pictured here. There has been some rubbing, possibly while braking.
How wide is your front rim? It sounds like you've approached the max size there, anything bigger will start to rub. I am considering 30mm wide rims. At the moment, I am running 28mm 700c Hutchinson tubeless. The actually measure 29 mm across. This is fine for most roads, but I will probably try 650b for winter tarmac and steep grades. Did you notice any improvement in climbung traction when you swithchef to these 38mm's?

How wide is your front rim? It sounds like you've approached the max size there, anything bigger will start to rub. I am considering 30mm wide rims. At the moment, I am running 28mm 700c Hutchinson tubeless. The actually measure 29 mm across. This is fine for most roads, but I will probably try 650b for winter tarmac and steep grades. Did you notice any improvement in climbung traction when you swithchef to these 38mm's?
The SRAM Rail 50 measures 28.5 mm external width.
Yes, I do seem to have better traction. I've ridden 12% incline on smooth and 10% incline on rough roads with no significant slippage.
SRAM's promotional video. They talk about surviving a rock hit, but I'm more worried about pot holes and such.
Bike Radar evaluation.

KiwiGuy

This year I went up from 32 to 38 (Compass 650B Loup Loup Pass) on the front. My caliper reads 39 mm (1.54") wide at 60 psi. Don't expect anything larger will fit. The ride is comfortable and stable as long as pressure is kept above 40 psi when it feels squirrelly. I have the Compass 650B x 42 on the rear.

I'm considering setting up a Silvio S30 as an adventure/gravel bike. A recumbent version of the Mason Bokeh if you will. I was hoping to be able to run the Compass 650B x42 Babyshoe Pass front and rear. But it looks like that could only happen on the rear. Disappointing as the latest version of the Silvio seems to be a natural adventure bike.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
The SRAM Rail 50 measures 28.5 mm external width.
Bike Radar evaluation.

Hello Mathew, if I may ask, how did you source your Rail 50's? I'm looking into going to the same setup (along with a Thor seat) but have had no luck finding the Rails online. Did you order them through a local bike shop? And a technical question--will the XD driver allow *only* a cassette with the 10 tooth small cog, or can you use a cassette with an 11 tooth as the smallest cog?

Kline

Hello Mathew, if I may ask, how did you source your Rail 50's? I'm looking into going to the same setup (along with a Thor seat) but have had no luck finding the Rails online. Did you order them through a local bike shop? And a technical question--will the XD driver allow *only* a cassette with the 10 tooth small cog, or can you use a cassette with an 11 tooth as the smallest cog?

Kline
I got the drive wheel from JensonUSA. I see they don’t have it in stock now, only the non-drive through-axle.

The rear came from Amazon - trying to save a few bucks. What a pain getting it changed from through-axle to QR. It requires getting the correct adapter (not included) and specialized equipment at the LBS.

I see https://www.bikewagon.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sram 50
has both for a bit over $400 for the set. (I paid double.) Be sure to pick the quick release models to avoid hassle.

SRAM’s PG-1130 cassette range is 11-42. Their other 11 speed cassettes start at 10.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I got the drive wheel from JensonUSA. I see they don’t have it in stock now, only the non-drive through-axle.

The rear came from Amazon - trying to save a few bucks. What a pain getting it changed from through-axle to QR. It requires getting the correct adapter (not included) and specialized equipment at the LBS.

I see https://www.bikewagon.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sram 50
has both for a bit over $400 for the set. (I paid double.) Be sure to pick the quick release models to avoid hassle.

SRAM’s PG-1130 cassette range is 11-42. Their other 11 speed cassettes start at 10.

Thank you...........yeah that's a good deal on the bikewagon site for sure. I wonder if the Rail 50 is being discontinued or if the stock is just low.

I'm using the PG-1130 11-42 now with SRAM 1 x 11. Was wondering if the XD driver allows use of the 11-42 or if it requires 10-42.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
thank y'all

maybe I should just go with Velocity Aileron

Be careful ordering the Aileron rims. I had my eyes on them a while back, ordered two rims and ordered (elsewhere) appropriately sized CX Ray spokes and White Industries T-11 hubs. The rims were delayed, then delayed, then delayed some more . . . and I finally got an email from their tech folks that they were not going to be available because the design wasn't holding up in wheel build ups. To their credit after deciding to go with A23s in place of the Ailerons, the Velocity folks were kind enough to send me a full set of CX Ray spokes of the new size. Don't know if they've worked out the build problems with the rim but it looked like a great option for what I was looking for.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Be careful ordering the Aileron rims. I had my eyes on them a while back, ordered two rims and ordered (elsewhere) appropriately sized CX Ray spokes and White Industries T-11 hubs. The rims were delayed, then delayed, then delayed some more . . . and I finally got an email from their tech folks that they were not going to be available because the design wasn't holding up in wheel build ups. To their credit after deciding to go with A23s in place of the Ailerons, the Velocity folks were kind enough to send me a full set of CX Ray spokes of the new size. Don't know if they've worked out the build problems with the rim but it looked like a great option for what I was looking for.

paco thank you for the information. I have Velocity Quills on another bike and am very pleased with them. I'll look for an alternative to the Ailerons. thanks again