MBB on a diet (9 kilograms)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Would be great! I don't know where or when but some day...I do hope!

Aerodynamic tests for my bike are important (I have a race on a closed flat circuit at the end of this month and I want to be prepared) but now I will focus on climbing performance, the reason I build my bike. I want to know how fast or slow it is compared with other bikes or with itself in different conditions.
My question is: is it possibile to have an "overall" fast recumbent bike? Could it be quite fast on flat (not the fastest, the V20 is for example is much faster and I know very well) and quite fast on climbs as well? On which routes could it be faster (if it can) than a road bike or other recumbens?
I hope this topic is interesting...
I live near Asheville, NC. I live 10 minutes from the airport. If you can get here, I will take care of the rest!
I suspect your version of the MBB will be a better climber than my Vendetta. Primarily due to the lower BB and higher seat. The perfect recumbent would have a way to move the BB from lower to higher position without much effort, and also an adjustable seat that could be changed on the fly. That would be hard to beat!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
On the fly - does that mean like the folding wings on some of those fighter jets? Or would you have to stop to adjust? Of course fighter jets do go faster but their fuel consumption is awful and they just cost too much to have sitting around in the driveway.

LarryOz

On the fly - does that mean like the folding wings on some of those fighter jets?
To me that means, not have to stop. I envision a mini-hydralic type of lifter kind of like in an office chair. A little lever you pull would allow the seat to raise; the amount based on how much pressure you exert with your back. To lower it all the way back down, left the lever and push with you back until it stops and let off the lever. Sounds like a spring project after I remodel the master bathroom! :eek:

Last edited:

Uphill

I think a way of adjusting seat angle and maintaining the reach to the pedals in a simple way would be great. The longer rides I do tend to have hilly sections then possibly long flats then hills again. So on the fly would not be important. Quick stop would be fantastic though. Bit like dropper posts for mtb!

jond

Zen MBB Master
To means that means, not have to stop. I envision a mini-hydralic type of lifter kind of like in an office chair. A little lever you pull would allow the seat to raise; the amount based on how much pressure you exert with your back. To lower it all the way back down, left the lever and push with you back until it stops and let off the lever. Sounds like a spring project after I remodel the master bathroom! :eek:

Pcmousely thread “the seat of my problem on my new v 20” was an innovative well engineered effort . A few years back now from memory.

Enid

What a great thread! Has anyone tried to make a Zockra 700FD clone? Those have gone down to 7.5KG and are probably stiffer in the front triangle. And beautiful.

DSC_1908.JPG

LarryOz

What a great thread! Has anyone tried to make a Zockra 700FD clone? Those have gone down to 7.5KG and are probably stiffer in the front triangle. And beautiful.
This was for sale by the builder, and I tried to buy it while in France last year at the 2019 World Championships. He would not sell it to me because "I would not fit it". It is beautiful but built for 6' and taller riders. Bummer!

Enid

@markciccio

Would you be willing to post the design? I'm thinking that Calfee could make one (assuming you have no interest in selling them, but if I'm wrong, I'm game!)

@guru

Would you be willing to sell one of those modified seats? Or post the design if not?

Karl42

The perfect recumbent would have a way to move the BB from lower to higher position without much effort, and also an adjustable seat that could be changed on the fly. That would be hard to beat!

That actually exists. There is this custom-built MBB in Germany that can be adjusted on the fly while riding:

Here is the link to its construction history in the German forum, using Google Translate.
The builder is currently working on a second version of this bike.

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
He has to wind the handle an awful lot for not much movement. It would be better if it was quicker. The handlebars are no good for commuting. Unless they are really wide they trap his legs, even in the low BB position. Tight turns are impossible. I tried bars like this.

Karl42

He has to wind the handle an awful lot for not much movement. It would be better if it was quicker. The handlebars are no good for commuting. Unless they are really wide they trap his legs, even in the low BB position. Tight turns are impossible. I tried bars like this.

I agree. Neither the adjustment speed nor his choice of handlebars seem ideal. However, I think the point is that this is even possible in the first place. This is a fully functional prototype of a bike whose BB height and seat-angle can be adjusted on the fly, and that is pretty amazing. The implementation details are something to be refined in subsequent iterations.
Imagine a small motor that would do the adjustment quickly:

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If your bike frame is steel, you can replace the joints with hinges and then add this gadget. How do you you make a Cruzbike articulate?

The bars in the second video are marginally better, but do not try them with a bar-end shifter if you do not want a bruise. But this is getting off the subject.

Apollo

I much prefer the British guy's seat angle adjustment mechanism. Simpler, faster and doesn't alter BB height. Less moving parts to possibly malfunction down the line.