Metric vs imperial measurers

So as an Aussie I find Americas persistence with the I imperial system baffling. The only advantage I see is it may encourage you to ride further. When I ride a century (km) I feel pretty good but if I were to ride in miles I would still have 60km to go.
Thoughts??

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
KPH...Knots Per Hour. My Cateye 'puter is way off though. I'll be cruzing along at 20 knots on the gps and the damn Cateye reads 37.o4. Don't they know what a KPH is? :confused:

Oh, and 0.03937 is only close. Better to use 25.4 as a conversion as it is absolute.

20 yrs ago, I went to Scotland...and fully expected to be driving around in a metric nightmare. Cars were passing me like crazy as I was keeping to the 50km speed limit. Turned out they were marked for 50mph...

1happyreader

zen/child method
So as an Aussie I find Americas persistence with the I imperial system baffling.
As an American I am also baffled ! But the USA converting to metric we were promised in school ( early 70's ) never happened.
The soda industry migrated to two liter extra large containers, but one liter containers are a rarity.
I don't remember when our speedometers started having both imperial and metric options.
You can google more current history if you are so inclined.
I vote for your ellected representatives lobbyists money at work!
later,,,, bye

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I like the metric system as it makes me feel like I am going faster, and as noted above - a Century goes by much faster! ;)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Come on - since it's "metric", gotta do "10" don't you! :eek:
Yes but 8 is binary and you only need 1 register in your garmin's memory to count laps that has to save battery right?
Therefore your bike is lighter and you are faster....

too obscure? yeah probably... sorry. :(

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
well when people list their weight in kilos i have a pretty good idea what that means. but if they say 'i'm 178cm' i'm like......'whaaa??!!' just say 5foot 10 already:)

plus the old Wings song (Band on the Run) would sound pretty silly if instead of '....all i need is a pint a day....' it said '....all i need is 473.176milliliters a day...."

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
well when people list their weight in kilos i have a pretty good idea what that means. but if they say 'i'm 178cm' i'm like......'whaaa??!!
My son has seen an endocrinologist for several years for a growth disorder. The clinic records his height and weight in metric. At one of his first appointments, the nurse who measured him told me my (then) 9-year-old was 48 cm tall. "You mean 48 inches, don't you?" I asked. "No, ma'am, 48 cm. See, right here," as she pointed to the 48-inch mark. :rolleyes: (For those who don't speak metric, 48 cm is less than 19"...my boy was longer than that at birth...)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I thought
well when people list their weight in kilos i have a pretty good idea what that means. but if they say 'i'm 178cm' i'm like......'whaaa??!!' just say 5foot 10 already:)

plus the old Wings song (Band on the Run) would sound pretty silly if instead of '....all i need is a pint a day....' it said '....all i need is 473.176milliliters a day...."
It seems strange that all of the major Commonwealth counties (Australia (1971), New Zealand, India, and Canada) have all metricated, where the parent country Britain has not!

I also ONLY think in metric metre, or mm, not cm, M3, lpm, M3/sec, Litres per 100 km, and Kgs, except for people's height!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
So as an Aussie I find Americas persistence with the I imperial system baffling. The only advantage I see is it may encourage you to ride further. When I ride a century (km) I feel pretty good but if I were to ride in miles I would still have 60km to go.
Thoughts??
Americans have priorities:
1) Run cyclists off the road.
2) Don't get shot.
3) Lose a hundred pounds of body fat.
4) Go into debt.
5) Make more money.
999) Worry about being invaded by Canada.
1000) Try to learn the metric system.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
2) Don't get shot.
4) Go into debt.
5) Make more money.
999) Worry about being invaded by Canada.
1000) Try to learn the metric system.
Joe,
You are a riot: Many times, you capture the essence of things in a unique way and articulate them to us: You make me laugh , cry and scream all at the same time! Thanks. :):p:D:eek:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
2) Don't get shot.
4) Go into debt.
5) Make more money.
Hey! I'm within 5lbs of #3. At the moment it appears to be priority #1. #4 is a given.
Isn't appearing on youtube priority #6?

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Whitworth?, defunct college in Brookhaven, Mississippi?, which at times had a sordid history?

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Joe,
You are a riot: Many times, you capture the essence of things in a unique way and articulate them to us: You make me laugh , cry and scream all at the same time! Thanks. :):p:D:eek:
I left out state priorities:
Secede from the union (Texas)
Marry your sister (Alabama?)
Worst roads (Michigan)
2nd place in obesity (Michigan)
Most cyclists run over at once (Michigan again!)