Mid Atlantic Ultra 2017

When I received my S40 frameset in June, I cannibalized some parts from my V20. Then I didn't get around to putting the V20 back together until Friday. I hadn't ridden the bike in 2 months and only took it around the block a couple times to see that it was working. I packed the S40 along with the V20 just in case something went wrong, but never needed it.

I've gotten up over 200 miles in a single day 4 times on my DF and it's always too painful to go further. Even though I was in better shape for all those DF runs than I am now, I went to this event with the goal of exceeding my best distance of 208 miles. This was also my first UMCA event on a Cruzbike. It was a scorcher of a day but I kept going. Thoughts bouncing around in my head included, "this is crazy, I've only done 2 centuries this year" and "where's that solar eclipse when you need it". The good news is other than trashing my legs, there was no numb hands, no hurt back, no inability to sit any longer on the saddle, and no staring at the ground because I can't lift my head anymore like on a DF. The V20 was perfectly comfortable.

In the end I got 211 miles in which in this heat was good enough for a first place finish in the 12-hour 50-59 age group and a new PR. It took 8 miles to get back to the start so my new longest day is 219 miles. And I'm very happy with it. On a flat course, the V20 compensates for a lot of under-training.

I rode with a Camelbak on my bike which allowed for getting plenty of ice cold water during the ride. I don't do well with putting stuff in my water, just need clean tasting cold water to drink. I used a bento box to periodically take Salt Sticks electrolytes and various snacks.

FullSizeRender_s.jpg

A post ride photo of Tigerpaw and me. Cruzibke riders took the top two spots in the 50-59 age group. You know, if we did 12 hours at night, I wouldn't have all that sunburn.

20933975_10214562248476942_2990991374283798684_o.jpg

Out of curiosity what type tires were you using
I've been running on Boyd tubeless wheels with Schwalbe Pro One tires and Orange Seal this year. I might switch to Orange Seal Endurance during the winter, after the big events, but Orange Seal seals bigger holes. I switched to tubeless after Larry lost the Raven Rock Ramble to Jim due to a flat tire in May.

BTW, my wife got sprayed with sealant while we were riding on the road shoulders in Vermont last month. It sealed up fine and I'm still riding on it. That's the only puncture that I know about.

does anyone know who won the overall 12 and 24 hr?
Billy Volchko from Iowa won the overall 12-hour. Last year he had 265 miles and he came up a little short this year. I think it was 262, but don't quote me on that. Everyone thinks heat was the deciding factor. Billy came by me like a bat out of hell in the last 10 to 15 minutes. At that moment I willed myself to get on his wheel and stay there. He was the motivation I needed and probably made the difference between a 209 and a 211 finish. He is a DF rider and provided a great pull.

CruzLike

Guru
I would like to start off by tipping my helmet to Doug and Tigerpaw. I patted myself on the back for a tough 125. They turn in 200+ miles on a blistering hot day.

I rode 4 laps just over 5hrs. I had a little bit of drink mix at the beginning of the 4th lap. It backed up my stomach and drank 1 water bottle on the 4th lap. That wasn't enough for the temps. At the end of the 4th lap, I was blitzed and needed to rest and drink. I remember telling myself, " I can't believe that I'm just half way" (to 200 miles). After a rest I got back on the bike and mustered another lap.
I was not prepared for the heat. My elemnt read 100 degrees on the 5th lap. That is a good 15 deg. north of what I'm accustom to. I had banked on cloud cover and a nice rain. By the end of the 5th lap the clouds where out but I was already well done.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am glad that Cruzbike won the event, after the antics of the Schlitter team!
Just think of how much greater distance to the DFs, if Cruzbike and Schlitter could have ridden at a steady fast pace, rotating an EVEN amount for at least 75 miles!