Minneapolis Silvio

hoyden

I ordered Silvio last week after discovering Cruzbike website the week before. Robert promptly answered my email questions as I sifted through the enormous amount of data I encountered in the forum and from links folks posted. I feel like I have been drinking from the Cruzbike firehose these past few weeks.

My current ride is an Azub Max with USS and 26” wheels for the street, and an Azub Origami with USS and 20” wheels that I ride on Kreitler Rollers indoors. I ride 5-7 days/week, 35 miles, weather permitting, with an average speed 13.5 to 15 mph depending on which way the wind blows.

I stumbled upon Cruzbike while reading about recumbents on Wikipedia. I have seen at least one bike in Minneapolis and was intrigued by the implementation. Following links I read how the MBB improved performance by engaging the upper body similar to DF bikes, and has better climbing capability.

Lately I’ve noticed that I seem to be declining in workout performance. I used to be able to maintain 130-145 BPM over a 2+ hour ride but my last ride dropped to 122 even though I felt like was exerting just hard as I could. Maybe it’s old age and my heart has more capacity than my legs.

I do know that with USS my upper body steers the bike but does not participate in the workout. I granny gear up the few hills at 5-8 mph as fast and as hard as my legs will pedal.

After much reading and back-and-forth with Robert I decided to give Cruzbike a try. I initially narrowed my option to either the Q559 or the Silvio. Robert explained the nuances that led me to select the Silvio. I wanted a bike that would challenge me and that I could grow into. Delivery is scheduled out a few weeks. I will update with my experience.

Looking back over the last 16 years I followed a convoluted path to get here. I’ve been very much a casual rider with only limited interest in the detail and selection of bike components.

I bought my first recumbent in 2000 after moving to Minneapolis; a Vision R40 with USS. I discovered I could not ride a DF bike more than about 2 hours without unpleasant butt, back, neck, and wrist hurt. At the same time I became aware of recumbents. The R40 was just what I needed to light off my biking interests, and Minneapolis has abundant opportunities for biking.

I bought a Bacchetta Strada in 2004 while working out of town in Northern VA. I liked having the same size big wheels. I was not so enamoured with above seat steering. I rode the bike mainly on the C&O Canal NP trail that runs beside the Potomac River 184 miles between Georgetown and Cumberland, MD. The dirt/packed gravel path is fairly smooth but prone to slippery mud puddles after a rain. I learned the Strada could slide out in an instant while dodging the puddles and it was better to slow down and drive straight through them.

Along the way I bought a Birdy folding bike and rediscovered how much I dislike upright bike seating. I also discovered I like suspensions.

In 2008 I tried clipless pedals at the suggestion of a colleague and after getting nominally up the learning curve converted all 3 bikes.

In March 2012 I bought a green Strida folding bike and discovered I liked disc brakes. At about this time I began to seriously research finding a big wheel USS recumbent. I wanted what I thought at the time was the best of all worlds in one bike.

Over the summer/fall I discovered Azub and bought a green Max with 26” wheels, disc brakes, suspension, and Alfine 11 rear hub with 3 chainrings up front. This was my dream bike, my magic carpet ride. My magic carpet ride came with a few challenges; the frame was so high I could not recline in the saddle when stopped without being on tiptoes. I was challenged to mount and dismount until I figured out a simple and stable method. I needed about 6 months to become comfortable with the sensitive steering and after sliding out a few times I finally mastered the ride.

When Azub brought out the folding Origami I ordered a green one with USS, Alfine 11, and rim brakes. Origami is lower to the ground and a much more docile ride. I reaffirmed my preference for disc brakes over rim.

In a nutshell that’s where I am at and how I got here. I want to thank Robert, and everyone who has contributed to the forum for sharing their experience and helping me answer my questions, highlighting questions I hadn’t even thought of asking, piquing my curiosity, and contributing to my biking education.

I anticipate mourning the loss of USS and green. God bless USS but I think I have wrung out as much performance as I can with that configuration. I like green.

I will adapt.

Robert O

Greetings, Hoyden. I transitioned to my V20 four months ago, after 2 1/2 years on a homebuilt 700 highracer. That highracer is a really good bike, but I wanted better climbing performance. The two bikes are not too far apart in geometry; the seat heights are similar, head angles are about the same. The V20 seat is reclined an extra 10 degrees or so, and the V20 has a couple of extra inches in wheelbase.

Transitioning to MBB still took me a couple of weeks (if you want to look at it with a little different eye, I'm still transitioning). There's a whole new set of reflexes to develop. The good thing is, once you make those habit, you don't have to think about them; your body handles things like compensating for the pedal steering inputs automatically. The most difficult part for me was letting go of the, "I've been riding a bent for years, this should be easy" thing. Take your time, follow Ratz' script, it'll all fall into place.

Have fun!

hoyden

I appreciate that folks have laid out a suggested progression for how to ride the MBB. I totally get having a safe place, taking it easy. I learned some of this the hard way on my Max.

The first scratch/dent to a new toy is always painful. It's not if, it's when.

Robert O

I appreciate that folks have laid out a suggested progression for how to ride the MBB. I totally get having a safe place, taking it easy. I learned some of this the hard way on my Max.

The first scratch/dent to a new toy is always painful. It's not if, it's when.
It's not the dent on the toy I worry about, it's the dent on ME! ;-)

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
You just need to have your wits with you as you never know what's going to happen; I have had people say what a great bike and taking pictures of me through the window as they are overtaking me, I have had police doing the same thing with a tailback of traffic, and I have one person tell me to stop riding as it is very dangerous. :cool::rolleyes::D

I tend now... to go out after people have gone to work and ride in the morning when all the kids are at school. I like to ride the Vendetta when the sun is out when there is not much of a sea breeze. So morning is best for me for 330 days of the year.

But the experience is something else... keep persevering.

hoyden

It's not the dent on the toy I worry about, it's the dent on ME! ;-)

Not to diminish the possibility for a personal owie, but as I get older I have become more cautious. I plan to follow the recommended steps for learning how to ride. After sliding out on my Azub Max a few times I have a greater appreciation for how unexpectedly the ride can go sideways due to inexperience.

I've taken to heart the aviation saying, "Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment".

But the experience is something else... keep persevering.

I sooo looking forward to perservering from the saddle! Robert reports he plans to start building my bike later this week.

Ivan_Liew

Welcome to the family! I remember checking out Azub when I was thinking of getting my first recumbent, but the design of Cruzbikes got me much more hooked when I first saw them. 2+ years on Silvio and not looking back! :)

quickbeam

I stumbled upon Cruzbike while reading about recumbents on Wikipedia.
That makes me feel good, since I created the Cruzbike wikipedia page (and a couple other recumbent manufacturers) last fall after doing my own research. You never know when your efforts will help somebody :)

Also, you probably already know this, but ratz is pretty close to you and has helped people learn to ride on a Cruzbike.

hoyden

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

Silvio is taking shape; Robert has empowered Rose City Recumbents to build the bike. 165 cranks, 52/36 rings, 11-36 cassette, disc brakes.

Thanks to ratz I now have a 36t q ring and a pair of frog pedals. I will save both for when I acquire some nominal riding skills. I will keep it simple for now.

Bill K

Guru
Silvio is taking shape; Robert has empowered Rose City Recumbents to build the bike. 165 cranks, 52/36 rings, 11-36 cassette, disc brakes.

Good choices on options! These are the same options I recently got from Rose City, except I went with the V20.
You mentioned above that you ride an Azub with 26" wheels.
If the wheels are also disc brake with 10-speed cassette, you should be able to use them on the Silvio with 26 x 1.5 tires and full sized fenders for winter riding.
When the weather is bad, I swap the wheels from my Bacchetta Giro 26, add clip-on fenders and both me and the V stays much cleaner.

Bill

hoyden

Bill, my Azub is disc brakes with Alfine 11 IGH. In any case riding in MN in winter is for the hardy. Helps to have more than two wheels on the ground or those fat tire Alaska bikes. I do my riding indoors on rollers. A lot of days are picture window days; great to enjoy from inside.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I received Silvio yesterday. The bike is really handsome. I am working through the first steps leaning too ride. It's raining today but the weather forecast to improve towards the weekend.
Way to go - welcome to "The Tribe"!
Pictures no doubt to follow - with you on the bike of course. :)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I'm a little late to the welcome party but Welcome nevertheless Hoyden. Your route to recumbent and indeed Cruzbike, while different in some details, is a good facsimile of many of ours.
The resource of The Cruzbike Tribe is worth Ratz' previous weight in gold.

Welcome.

hoyden

Here is my new ride. I graduated from Flintstoning in my driveway to a parking lot at the high school down the street. Successful doing 8's and nominally pedaling and going in the desired direction. Definitely way more lean to the outside when turning than my Azubs. Easier sit up in the saddle and put a leg down when things get squirrely. I will practice in the lot a few more times before heading out into the wild. I am excited about my progress and comfortable taking my time to get confident. I will try to get me in the picture when someone else is around.
IMG_1393r.JPG

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I believe the official term is W00T!

Front shock is out of air in that pic; before you hit the open road make sure you pump that up with your shock pump. If you haven't used a shock pump before; let us know and one of use can dig up the PDF with the instructions for it. took me 6 months to figure out the correct way to do it.

hoyden

W00T wroks for me! Thanks for front shock pointer. I inserted the air and it popped right up. I need to adjust the FD and found a Youtube video showing how. Usually I would just start tweaking the screws and eventually would figure out what did what. Youtube is a nod to RTFM.