Minneapolis Silvio

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I agree with hoyden.

I was commuting on my Silvio very soon after I assembled it. The road seemed terribly bumpy, and I kept getting pinch flats. I stood holding the bike and threw my weight on the handlebars. The shock did not compress at all. Took some air out. Nowadays I can lean on it and release it and the shock compresses and recoils. No more pinch flats. Less bumpy.

You need to get the pressure just right.

hoyden

You need to get the pressure just right.
I noticed the front shock did not compress with 150 psi and leaning on the bars. I will let loose some of the air.

Do folks find it worth while to learn how to remove and reinstall the front tire before going out for the first time? I plan to bring along a small fanny pack with basic tools and flat repair stuff. I am inclined to try first removal before leaving home just in case there are any OBTWs or gotchas. Less far to walk if things go less than smoothly ;-)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
After flatting the front on Sofrider in the middle of nowhere I bought some Gaadi tubes. Haven't had to use one yet but if needed, I'm hoping it makes changing the front less painful.
Also carry one on Vendetta in the event of a tubeless tire flat---an event I hope is very unlikely!

Finding one the right size with a Presta valve can be a challenge.

Can't find a good link. Just google Gaadi bike tubes.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I noticed the front shock did not compress with 150 psi and leaning on the bars. I will let loose some of the air.

Do folks find it worth while to learn how to remove and reinstall the front tire before going out for the first time? I plan to bring along a small fanny pack with basic tools and flat repair stuff. I am inclined to try first removal before leaving home just in case there are any OBTWs or gotchas. Less far to walk if things go less than smoothly ;-)

If I remember correctly, the front shock seems to take a little breaking in. You may try 125 psi, but you really need to give it a good pounce.

That would be a good idea to see what is involved in removing the front tire. Should be a bit easier with the S30 than the S2.1. When in the wild, I turn the V upside down to fix flats. Sometimes if its obviously, I will only pull the punctured tube out of the rim keeping the tire mounted, and patching the hole.

Bill K

Guru

It's pretty easy to change a flat on the front tire, and a good idea to pop the wheel off and put it back on while you are at home.
You probably have the same derailleur as I do. It has a neat little lock pin that locks the derailleur open and releases tension on the chain. Makes inserting the wheel a bit easier.

Bill

hoyden

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will put on my to-do list to take off the front wheel.

I spent another half hour in the parking lot doing 8's. I'm still shaky and the death grip tires my hand. About a half hour is all I am good for. I will continue to practice slow speed turns until I feel more confident. I would guess another week before I head out into the wild.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
At first I'm all like - WTH? Gaadi tubes?
Then I'm like - wait - how did he just take that off without...
Then I'm like - GENIUS!
This video is in German(ic) but even without speaking German(ic) the video speaks for itself.

I'm not gonna race on them but YIKES - I would love to have these in my commuter kit. The Silvio 1.0 is pretty much a pain to do a front change on the side of the road in the wet.
I've taken other measures; industrial tires, only pulling out the part with the hole etc...but this is a great addition.

Thanks @ReklinedRider - you are a Guru.

hoyden

try palms out forward see if you can open those fingers.
When I realize my hand is tired. then I open my grip and lightly engage the bars. A few minutes later my hand is tired again... I know it's a beginner's rider thing. I can almost savor the moment knowing that at some point I will be looking back and wonder how this seemed so hard at first. I put the GPS on the bike and my riding is all done in a 6-8 mph range with a little slower in turns.

Robert O

What I can tell you from my experience is that at some point, you can get conscious thought out of the equation and just ride. When I started on my V20, I was all over the place. After a couple of weeks, I was riding straight, but I couldn't ride my old high racer without wandering all over the road, because I was still forcing the steering. Last week, I climbed back on the high racer just to check out a re-cabling job, and I was fine. I think that when I first started on the V20, I was consciously muscling the bike down the road. Now, almost 6 months in, my body is just putting in little inputs to keep me rolling straight. It turns out that they're a lot more subtle than the conscious ones I was feeding the bike when I first started. Just takes a while to relax.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Now, almost 6 months in, my body is just putting in little inputs to keep me rolling straight. It turns out that they're a lot more subtle than the conscious ones I was feeding the bike when I first started
Basically riding the Cruzbike becomes natural. The leg and arm combination becomes subconscious to the point you don't realize it's even occurring. Just another natural reflex. I learned on a Silvio, and then 3 months later purchased a Vendetta. Went from the Silvio to the Vendetta with zero learning curve. Keep in mind some pick it up very quickly and some it just takes a little longer, but no matter, it can and will be learned. Following Ratz's steps, and with practice and patience you will prevail.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
At first I'm all like - WTH? Gaadi tubes?
Thanks @ReklinedRider - you are a Guru.

You're welcome, Lief, but I can't take Guru credit for something I learned on this forum! Gaadi tubes were introduced on here awhile back....I need to do a search to remember who was the real Guru. If I can find the old post I will give credit!

But they are cool, aren't they!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
You're welcome, Lief, but I can't take Guru credit for something I learned on this forum! Gaadi tubes were introduced on here awhile back....I need to do a search to remember who was the real Guru. If I can find the old post I will give credit!
Is there a place here in the States they can be purchased?

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Looks like it was jslipscomb who introduced them to this forum Sept 20, 2015 on the Silvio Brag Board.

I got mine through Amazon. Looks like they still only have the 700c presta valve in the 28mm and up sizes. My tires are 28's on both bikes.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I'm still shaky and the death grip tires my hand.
I had sore forearms the first few days with my Q from gripping so hard. I never got the hang of the open-palms thing--just had to keep reminding myself to relax the hands. It took me close to a month to graduate from parking lot to flat, straight residential streets. I was a slow, slow learner, just like when I was 7 years old and struggling to master a little red Sears convertible bike. :eek:

But now, with a couple of thousand miles under my belt, riding a CB has become almost second nature. I had the Q out on a rail trail Saturday, when a tandem passed me. I hopped on their wheel for three or four miles, bouncing over the occasional washboard bumps at 18 mph, dodging pine cones from the longleaf pines the trail is named for, no more or less concerned about weaving or wobbling than I would have been on my road bike.

You'll get this. It may just click one day; or it may be slow and gradual. But it'll happen. And it's awesome. :cool:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Go in a straight line, without turning, just to get a comfortable feeling riding a CB may help you relax. Don't over think it. This thread made me think how I did my first ride, on a weekday (not busy) at a city park bike path where for 5 days I biked about 15 miles each day around the lake, clumsy the first day:confused: but knowing I could do it because many others had learned to ride one:cool:. I did Fig 8s each day, but they did not feel good until a few days into the learning. Then I just kept going feeling more comfortable every mile!:)

Bill K

Guru
When I realize my hand is tired. then I open my grip and lightly engage the bars. A few minutes later my hand is tired again... I know it's a beginner's rider thing. I can almost savor the moment knowing that at some point I will be looking back and wonder how this seemed so hard at first. I put the GPS on the bike and my riding is all done in a 6-8 mph range with a little slower in turns.

I am just a couple of months "ahead" of you in the learning curve.
I found it to be very helpful sometimes to just put in some good, low stress, miles on the bike path when the path is not very busy. Pick a spot where there are few or no street crossings and ride at your most comfortable speed.
At first my "comfortable speed" was a very narrow range. Below 8 mph balance was an issue. Above 12 mph or so and the steering becomes more sensitive and fear of falling kicks in along with the death grip on the handlebars (try to avoid this).
Slowly, your "comfortable speed" range will expand in both directions (slower, and faster).

The slower I am riding, the more likely I just sit straight up and pedal away. Balance is much better, and visibility is much better. Now days I do this whenever the speed drops below 3 mph or so (such as waiting to pass a group of people on the bike path). I also still need to sit strait up when climbing a steep hill when I cannot maintain 5 mph or so. Maybe this is a bad habit, I don't know, but it seems to work for me.