Mobius ActionCam on a Cruzbike Silvio 2

Ivan

Guru
I am testing out having a camera on full-time on my commutes to assist in any post-incident follow up. It's also fun! After some research I decided on the relatively inexpensive Mobius ActionCam as I wasn't going to spend on a GoPro or similar. Superb video on this slow dawn ride on my Silvio 2 in the city:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOYZf0mm2Y

mzweili

Guru
HD Camera

last year I bought a kind of lipstick Camera from Amazon. It's a Polaroid XS-100.
Not expensive and it comes with all sort of mounting hardware.
The videos as well the still pictures are amazing even on a 55 inch TV.

floridabike

Nice Video

Nice video but looks pretty dangerous to me. It appears that some of those vehicles came very close when crossing into your lane. Hope you have a very bright rear light and good luck.
Phil

Ivan

Guru
US$69 without memory card and

US$69 without memory card and buying from a reputable China seller like this one:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/151071891306?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Really very good camera. 1080p in MOV format. Tiny so the internal battery only lasts about 80min which is good enough for some clips on a ride but as an always on accident camera, I'm considering connecting an external battery to the USB port. Configuration software is excellent. Various mounts available and inexpensive. I will try the 0.25sec time lapse photo function next.

mauler

That pick-up at around 4:07

From the snatches I saw of the video, it appeared that all the pick-ups deserved a mention to the authorities...

Jeremy S

Dude
I thought you were going to

I thought you were going to die around 4:02. I can see why you might want the camera. Is it good enough to pick up license plate numbers (I have a hard time making them out in the YouTube video)?

1happyreader

zen/child method
70 kph = <45 mph

I saw a
70.jpg
sign during that video. About 44 mph in USA.

If commuters in Singapore treat the speed limits as a suggestion then the trucks doing a lane squeeze are criminal.

Cannot tell speed in a video ,,, but it scares me !

Ivan

Guru
It really wasn't that bad

It really wasn't that bad guys!! Also a bit my fault cos my rear light battery went really low by the end of the ride. Anyway, here's a better video with a collage of variety and some more vehicle clearance for the queasy... make you sure you look at it at 720 or 1080p. Before the questions start coming, the first shot on "Keppel Viaduct Flyover" is on an elevated main road with speed limit 70kph -- perfectly legal to ride on. I am riding at 35-40kph on this road.

Yes, at 1080p with a good camera like this, you can read license plates of vehicles in the original MOV file (not on Youtube compressed version).

I am still a little sick so am not pushing hard, but my narrower drop bars definitely give me an aero advantage at higher speeds as compared to the original bars. Hope this video will encourage a bike commuter in Singapore somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbl8JtW0DRI

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Wow! Great video and great Silvio handling!

Great video Ivan!

That maneuver at 0:27 is brave to say the least! However a mounted camera can make it look more scary than it really is because it doesn't give the almost full 360 degree view that the rider actually has considering the Zefal mirrors. It also is difficult to judge accurately, the proximity of the other vehicles from the video. However, I am sure that Ivan, the rider, has a better feel of the proximity than we the viewers.

I used to ride in very congested and disorderly roads in Nairobi city but on an upright bicycle. I'am sure if I recorded that on a mounted camera it would look suicidal. The reality is a little better than the recorded version.

floridabike

Mobius ActionCam

http://youtu.be/pu2Ot7JjCpQ

Just received the Mobius ActionCam. The video seems to compare favorably with the GoPro camera that I have been using, just doesn't have all the features. Very windy and cloudy overcast sky today but the camera seems to have enough light. Tried it on the bike helmet and mounted on the Drone for an aerial flight.