More fun with wheels -Aero style

BentAero

20150208_162704_4_zps56faf2a4.jpg

Larry Oslund performing wattage/mph tests at his super-secret mountain-hideout test facility today in preparation for next Saturdays Sebring 24hr race. These spy photos were taken without his permission. ;)

It was warm (65-ish) and windy which made for some pretty good practice. Only one close call, while using both front and rear discs; high speed+sharp turn+wind gust all at the same moment=rear wheel stepping out.

Larry at about 27-28 mph.
2015-02-08164824_zpsc1d87091.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Gary you going to were a

Gary you going to were a helmet cam in the PIT area so we can get some spy video?

BentAero

mmmm... Not a bad idea.
I'd

mmmm... Not a bad idea.
I'd love to be able to upload some photos while at the track, but I've never been able to get the 'toolbar' to appear when using a mobile device on this wretched forum. Obviously not a high priority, but I do hope the Parker's will change the Forum platform to a better version when possible.

ratz

On the mobile I usually have

On the mobile I usually have to "reload" several times for the bar to load

However, if mail them to me; I'll post them for you, I'll be new a computer most of the race timeframe.

Maria Parker

Administrator
new forum

Gary, We are getting a new forum when we get the new website in March. I hope it will be an improvement. Thanks for your patience. And Bob, thanks for all you do to help people get their things up on the forum.

Maria

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks Gary for the spy shots

I have been doing some test with various combinations of wheels to try and see which ones performed the best.
But with the wind being so strong and pretty gusty, the results where all over the board.
Each test was done for 5 minutes on a oval track. I did about 10 different combinations.
Sat had fastest speeds on lowest wattage where using front FLO disc and rear "Cruzbike" CF 88mm rims (22.91 mph on 152 watts.
It was pretty windy on Sat, but Sunday was worse. (Probably 15-10mph constant with higher gusts. The wind also seemed to just get stronger as the afternoon wore on. Can't be sure without a wind gauge though.
On Sun, the best was with "Cruzbike" CF 88mm rims, and back solid RENN disc (23.32 mph on 145 watts).

It is really hard to know which combo is the best, as we all know the wind doesn't blow that constant normally, so the best times were probably just because the wind may have slacked up more on that combo than any other.

If you look at the actual file on Strava you can definitely tell which way the wind is coming. Down the front strecth my wattage topped out over 300 watts usually, and down the back stretch I was barely pushing 50 watts sometimes.
It would have been nice to have a nice calm day to test with, but doesn't look like it is going to happen before Sebring.
In either event, all the wheel combinations I tried where very fast.

The time I almost took a fall: I was ramping up my wattage and rpm to go for a really hard 10 minute effort, I was coming out of turn 4 at about 28mph, when I had to turn into the headwind still with a pretty good lean for the curve (before the straight). I think the combination of going nearly 30 mph, then suddenly turning into a 20mph headwind on a curve was just a bad combination. The rear wheel shot out from under me, but I did manage to recovered without falling. It scared me slightly, so I did not push it nearly as much from that point on. My 10 minute test yielded: 4.41 miles, avg speed 26.16 on 225 watts. rpm=95, Hr=159. Max power 575 watts. I might could do better on an out and back course. It's hard to go much fast than that safely with the sharp curves you have to navigate every 100 meters or so.

All in all it was fun - and sure nice to ride outdoors for a change!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Larry, the last two years

Larry, the last two years Sebring has been more windy and gusty than what you describe above. Steady winds up to the 20mph range with gusts up to the 30 mph range if I remember correctly. And cold....

-Eric

LarryOz

Thanks Eric,
That's why I am

Thanks Eric,
That's why I am taking all my different wheel sets with me.
The 88mm rims that say Cruzbike I like the best. They don't actually seem to be any slower than the full discs really - although I have not really testing everything in a non-windy location to see.

Weather - yeah.
A few days ago they where forecasting lows of about 48 at Sebring for night of the 14h. That seemed not too bad.
The forecast keeps getting lower and lower. It is supposed to be a low of 11 here in NC now, and now showing a low of 36 for Friday night Sat morning (which will be the start of the race), and then low of 42 for Sat night through Sun morning. Ouch!
Oh well - it will be whatever it is - I'm trying to pack for anything at this point.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
Temps

A word of advice: 40 in Florida ain't like 40 in NC. It seems colder to me. Born & raised in the Triangle, moved to Tampa Bay almost five years ago. On our annual Christmas visits back to Raleigh I can walk around in mid 30's weather without even a jacket. Mid 30's here is COLD!!!

MTCW, YMMV

LarryOz

Thanks Jerry!

Rick,
I know Ben Thomlin is going be there - He ride's a V, but I don't see him on this forum much.
He does post and belong to the Cruzbike Strava club, so you have probably seen him.
I also know Jim and Maria are planning to be there as well as Charlie O.
Other than that - not sure.
Ratz - there's still time to get that plane ticket down there. Escape the cold.
If it is going to be 11 here in NC, it's bound to be colder up where you are..

ratz

What? and miss out on our

What? and miss out on our beautiful 7F this weekend.
Daughter's birthday on the 12th has me tapped.

I still say this race is 1 month too early each year. I agree about it being colder down there. I lived up in Deland (in Ben's neck of the woods) and 30F in FL feels colder but, I'd say it's because, they have no decent heaters or insolation. Just about as cold in the Motel as it will be on the bike.

LarryOz

Bob, I guess you are having a

Bob, I guess you are having a heat-wave up there.
Our current forecast for Asheville NC is 3 degrees F Sat night -Sun Morn.
They just keep predicting it lower and lower each day!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hey Larry and the rest of you

Hey Larry and the rest of you guys that's going to Sebring.

As Charles says "without pictures it did not happen"...So Please take plenty for the rest of sitting at home wishing you guys the best of luck down there!!

ratz

Yup heat wave.....
Oh

Yup heat wave.....

Oh wait

Can we just import Rick's weather

weatherfun.jpg height:485px; width:269px

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I looking forward to some

I looking forward to some good weather. It just got sunny here for the first time in a week a few minutes ago, coming off of a week long rain streak. I can finally get some rides in starting tomorrow. Man, Bob, I feel for you!

LarryOz

Live feed - Strava - garmin ??

I was going to try and set up a live feed for anyone interested in following my activity live.
My Garmin Connect on my Smart phone says it will work, but so far it does not. Calling support today.
Does Strava have that feature?
.. or RWGP
?.. I know MMR has it as long as your are premium member.
If I find something that works - I will send it along..

I am also going to try and mount my VIRB to my boom without causing too much areo drag but of course that is not live feed, then can make mp4 after the fact with all the "data" too.

LarryOz

Colder and Colder...

Every day the forecast gets worse and worse for Sebring.
Now it is showing low of 34 degrees for the start, high only of 66, with winds at 16mph - gusting to 33, then low than night of 43 with winds at 10 mph, gusting to 22.. Wind chill obviously below zero, especially if you through in a 20+ mph speed on the bike going into a headwind. Can't wait.. !
Batten down the hatches is all I can say!