mudguards

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have a Silvio 2.0 with 28mm tyres. I want mudguards but the clearance under the front fork is tiny, like the width of a human hair.

I have Mavic A119 wheels, and Mavic says 28mm is the minimum. What would happen if I put smaller tyres on? Would 23mm be dangerous? Would I get enough clearance for Crud Roadracer 2? How about filing the fork crown?

hamishbarker

You could try the sks

You could try the sks raceblade long

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/en/sks-raceblade-long-mudguards/rp-prod82995

They are split into two parts, in front and behind the fork crown. No mudguard directly under the fork crown, and with a little ingenuity I think the metal tabs which attach to the brake bolt might not take too much room up in your "clearance challenged" 28mm shod silvio. BUT they are supposed to be for up to 23mm tires. Not sure if there is a similar product for larger tires. I just checked sks website and it looks like the old raceblade long is no longer produced.

I installed the rear one on the front wheel of my vendetta so that the coverage reaches all the way from the chainstays around to the front fork, then the short extra section is mounted aft of the front wheel (don't need full coverage there because it's under the seat.). By installing them that way no water or grit gets thrown onto the drivetrain by the top of the front wheel, which is much better for chain and drivetrain life. (and keeps your feet dry also).

Then installed the front one on the rear wheel.

Sounds complex, but it will make sense when you have them in front of you and think about how to get best coverage.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
23s on 28s

As long as the bead seat diameter of the tire matches that of your rim, you technically can run a narrower tire on your A119's. However, you're going to be more likely to experience increased occurrences of pinch flats. To compound that problem, less rubber means that when you do pinch flat, you have less protection between the rim and the road surface.

Raceblades
I ran these with 700 x 25c Gatorskins. It was a closer fit, but not without a little room to spare. I found Raceblades to be highly forgiving and easily adjustable.

Planet Bike SpeedEZRoad on Silvio 1.5

I live on Vancouver Island with constant rain. so I have added full fenders front and back. As you can see in pictures, I have added a second (rear) fender up front for full coverage. I am running gators 700x25.

The Planet Bike SpeedEZRoad fenders are quite similar to the raceblades. They pop on and off with ease.

Ivan

Guru
Crud RoadRacer fenders will

Crud RoadRacer fenders will be a no-go for your 28mm tyres. They fit comfortably with my 23mm's on my Silvio 2. One can hardly get clearance with a 25mm... may just slightly if I had wider rims. No way with a 28mm without rubbing.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Planet Bike SpeedEZRoad fenders

Those are a lot like the older style Raceblades, but it looks as if the strut attachment is better thought out than on the SKS ones.

Kevin - I like how you used a second rear fender on the front triangle.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have ordered raceblade

I have ordered raceblade long. If they do not fit I will try 25mm tyres. I also like the two continuous fenders idea.

I am very tempted to file off

I am very tempted to file off some 3 mm off the bottom of the crown, it seems like there is plenty of material there. Isn't this how the S30 got additional 3 mm clearance over the 2.0? I am running disc brakes, what could possibly go wrong?)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have the Raceblade Longs,

I have the Raceblade Longs, and am in the process of fitting them. The metal joining-pieces are on. Yes, there is a lot of metal on the fork crown. I filed it. The metal piece is quite narrow, so I filed a groove and did not touch the welds. I wanted to keep the 28mm tyres, so I had to take a lot of metal off, so the clearance with the metal piece is the same as it was before I started. The patio is all glittery. I hope the hub hasn't ingested any.

At the rear there is enough clearance to take the metal piece without modification.

Now I am trying to decide which portions of mudguard to put where, and how to fit the stays.

iow

"so I filed a groove...." 

"so I filed a groove...." sounds like you've just added a stress riser to a safety critical component. a fork failure can easily kill you.

I would be interested to know

I would be interested to know what the Cruzbike tech geniuses think of this. Again, in my view there is plenty of metal there, so taking some off should not be an issue.

Bladderhead, what is the metal plate under your seat?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If you mean what I think you

If you mean what I think you mean, the metal plate is not under the seat, it is the seat. I had a conversion-kit which I stopped using when I got the Silvio, so I de-converted the donor. The Silvio has the bum-half of the conversion-kit seat. I kept feeling as if I was sliding forwards on the Silvio, and the seat felt too narrow. The conversion-kit seat is a bit wider, and curves up a bit at the front. No more sliding forwards, and the Silvio seemed to get more stable.

I am glad someone thinks the filing is OK. I have gone to work on it twice. What with the dread phrase "stress riser" I have become really scared of pot-holes, which means I am very quickly learning how to steer.