My first 55 miles.....

BobD

I love my Silvio.
I have read others state this when reading the Archives....but didn't "get it" until now!

Due to rain and scheduling, I could only ride a handful of 5-7 mile neighborhood/parking lot rides since I installed the components on my frame. I went out today for 20 miles.

I rode the first 10 miles in a huge parking lot, practicing many of the suggestions I have read in the Archives. I especially found it helpful repeating smaller and smaller circles, as circling has been a real challenge. I rode a bit with one leg, and practiced leans while turning. After awhile, for the first time I found myself riding without thinking about what I needed to be doing.....was just great.

I then went on the road for 7 miles, followed by 3 miles again in a large parking lot of uninterrupted riding. Again, found myself riding without thinking about the idiosnycracies of this FWD/MBB bike.

As many have you have already discovered, how incredibly cool it is to feel the improvement with each ride. Even though I went up some inclines, I never needed the granny gear. This bike accelerated beautifully, on flats and hills. Without intent, I found myself hitting 20mph on flats....and slowed down. Speed is not of interest right now. However, it is great to know that as I ride Centuries this year I will be able to truly fly on this bike when needed.

Today's ride was with a wind advisory. The Silvio handled beautifully in gusts of wind....no issues at all.
I cannot wait to get out again tomorrow.

I love this bike....did I say that already????

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
\begin{sour_grapes}
Ya know

\begin{sour_grapes}

Ya know Bob, I just don't have the budget right now for a Silvio. So if you could enjoy it a little more quieetly I'd really appreicate it...

\end{sour_grapes}

:D

O.k. Never mind.

I don't know if you are still riding both bikes, but if you are, I would love to hear more insight on the difference between them.

And as mentioned on BROL, I think we are going to have to have a Connecticut Cruzbike get together soon. And you might want to check your car on the way home to make sure you've got your Silvio and not one of my bikes instead, by accident of course.

Cheers,
Charles

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Have you driven a light

Have you driven a light weight sports car with tight suspension that was very responsive to steering, brakes, and accelerator? Where you can feel the nuances of the road while driving down it? Its like that.

Not that I have much seat time in a Silvio, mind you but I remember it well.

I did 47 miles on the Quest Jan 12, and 51 miles yesterday. My first and second times at riding clipped in. Dropped a DF twice yesterday. First was him approaching behind me as we were cresting to a descent so I put the pedal to the metal and pulled rapidly away. Then I eased off as we began a long slow climb and let him pass and then stayed about 5 bike lengths behind him. Then I accelerated, passed him said hello and kept accelerating.

When I ride over undulations in the road on the Quest I feel it in a slightly muffled way. The Silvio was sharper, probably harsher too but it felt more precise. When I accelerated with the Silvio all I felt was acceleration - no flex, no wiggle, no shifting weight on the bike between front and rear suspension, just go.

The Quest is a sweet bike but when I accelerate hard I feel flex, wiggle, and noticeable weight shift between front and rear. Perhaps I notice it more because I've never spent any significant time on suspended bikes. I do know I was specifically trying to experiment with the suspension on the Silvio and it felt more taut, more responsive while taking a little harshness off bumps, etc.

-Eric

PS - If I can coordinate the timing to make it east for a Connecticut Cruzbike get together AND I have my Vendetta (John!), I'll let you ride it but you have to promise to give it back!

mickjordan

Not thinking

Well, Bob, I congratulate you on your fast learning curve. I'm still not at the point where I can forget about the idiosynchronies of the FWD/MBB setup. Riding the Silvio reminds me quite a bit of riding our DF tandem up a hill, where I have to work hard to keep the front wheel in a straight line with associated stress on the upper body. Yesterday, I went for a short ride on my Bacchetta, developed a mechanical, and went out on the CB instead. The difference in the amount of upper body effort managing the FWD was quite noticeable. Unortunately for me, the main reason for switching to a 'bent was to reduce the upper body stress!

Mick

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
@Eric:  I have driven a light

@Eric: I have driven a light weight sports car, but I think this breaks down in that no matter how light the bike, I've still got to lug around almost 220lbs of, well, me. So 15 lbs difference isn't even 10%. As far as flex and whatnot, I can buy that. So, yes, we'll have to schedule something to get you out here. I'd love to try a Vendetta (although part of me things I shouldn't as I really can't afford one of those)..

@Mick: Riding with no hands isn't useful in itself, but it does mean that I can use as much or as little of my arms as possible. Given the progress you've already made, my only advice is to tell you to keep doing what you're doing. It is discurraging when some people just leap on and ride (yes, I'm looking at you Eric :) ), but you'll get there.

Cheers,
Charles

I bought a Silvio in back in

I bought a Silvio in back in June and have been loving it. I put around 1500 miles on it so far.

I went for a bike ride with my son (who is 11) this weekend. He has a kid's mongoose mountain bike. Anyway, to keep less of a speed differential between us, I rode my old mountain bike, which is just a cheap old bike. We were only out about an hour, and I was delighted to have my son out for a bike ride with me, but I did NOT enjoy that cheap old mountain bike! I had sore wrists, a sore butt, and I was constantly having to turn around to look for cars. I was really missing the Silvio. I am hoping that the day will come when we both have Cruzbikes to ride on.

BobD

-Charles: We'll have to have

-Charles: We'll have to have our first Annual New England Cruzbike Rally in the CT Vineyards in NE CT.....no sour grapes there!!!!
I think it would be great if we could put together a New England Cruzbike Invitational. Perhaps we could get some local media coverage, and also figure out a way to raise some funds to support Maria and Jim's RAAM fundraising efforts?

-Eric: I really like the way you described the Silvio riding experience.

@Charles: I would add that more so than any other bike I have ridden, I truly feel "at one" with the Silvio much of the time. It is remarkably responsive as we get to know each other better. A slight shift in my weight results in an immediate response, both intentional as well as regading corrections. At times there is an effortless, immediate and exciting rush of acceleration. At other times I feel like I could be in a hammock! A number of times I actually forgot that I was in a learning phase.....and it felt like I was moving with the wind. I enjoyed riding my V2/K....though haven't used it in quite some time. Will have to ride it again this coming weekend for comparison sake. My recall is that it felt like the difference between riding a Honda Element and a Honda sports car.

-Mick: I have now ridden 55 miles on the Silvio, after about 20 miles on my V2/K awhile ago. I have spent a bunch of time in training exercises on both bikes in large parking lots.....and continue to do so? Have you done much pre-ride training? I have found that integrating the training exercises into each ride has made a world of difference. After an hour of training exercises earlier today....then about a 7 mile ride on the road, I finished up with three miles of easy and smooth riding in a large parking lot. I have found that my muscle memory is growing with the use of this approach.....as suggested by a bunch of Archival postings along with Kim Tolhurst and Jim Parkers's videos. I wonder if your enthusiasm to ride this bike with passion on the road (which I can SURELY relate to), may have lead you to "hitting the road" without giving yourself a chance to move through "basic training"? What do you think? Glad to hear you still have the Silvio. If you haven't already, you might want to consider doing some of the "basics" in a parking lot: riding with one foot, riding with one hand, palm pressure on the handlebars, riding in small circles, etc.

-John: Any chance of building your son a conversion kit? Or, your building a conversion kit mtn bike to ride with him? Maybe less of a differential between speed? Great you are riding with him.....remember doing the same with great fondnes.....this Spring my son graduates from College.....whew! Enjoy!

Well, I'm still trying to

Well, I'm still trying to gauge his interest. He's almost big enough to ride my old DF (a decent Felt road bike), and he's actually pretty excited about that. I think he'll be tall enough for it this summer. He's growing fast these days. If he's still interested after that, I'll sell the DF and buy him a Cruzbike of some sort - not sure which one at this point.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Well, I'm still trying to

Well, I'm still trying to gauge his interest. He's almost big enough to ride my old DF (a decent Felt road bike), and he's actually pretty excited about that. I think he'll be tall enough for it this summer. He's growing fast these days. If he's still interested after that, I'll sell the DF and buy him a Cruzbike of some sort - not sure which one at this point.

If it were me I would:

(a) Buy a Quest 451. This means you could also take his bike with you when you went travelling.

(b) Convert something (folding bike if he's shorter). This is a much less expensive way to go.

It's a tricky game of "I don't want to buy it if he won't ride it, but if I do buy it then maybe he'll be more likely to ride it." If you travel, the Quest has the advantage that you can use it as your traveling bike if he doesn't want it.

Cheers,
Charles

Thanks for the ideas.  I

Thanks for the ideas. I don't travel much, but when I do, I like to travel light. The only time I want to travel with a bike is when I ride it (or driving to a group ride, in which case it's in the back of my truck, so no folding).

I'm in a holding pattern for now. Ideally, he will enjoy riding on the DF this summer, then grow a few inches in XSeam and express interest in my Silvio. At that point he can ride that and I'll get myself a Vendetta! Even if he loses interest after that, I'd still have two bikes that I'd would ride. I'm not sure I'd ride a conversion or Quest much when I also have a Silvio to choose from.

mickjordan

Training

Bob, I did plenty of training rides in the 'hood and in a school playground behind my house. It was quite a while before I felt confident to go out on the road. I'm over that now and in general riding don't feel nervous like I used to when the bike does a wobble, because I know I can get it back quickly. Descending hills with bends is another matter as any wobble there raises fear level considerably, so I'm avoiding that.

I have no idea how long it would take to get to be at one with the bike, probably longer than I can tolerate, given how easy the Bacchetta is to ride by comparison. My sense is that I'll slowly start to favor the B and eventually get around to selling the Silvio.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi MIck,
For what it's worth,

Hi MIck,

For what it's worth, I am most cautious in fast corners. I can take them pretty much fine, but I find I stop pedaling sooner than I think I (somehow) should. Keep your legs and hips loose.

Cheers,
Charles

Romagjack

One of the strengths of

One of the strengths of Cruzbike design over all bikes I have ridden is the ability to "power through corners". Similar to front wheel drive cars, one is pulled around corners under power. I find it both exhilerating and quite safe to accelerate around turns where on a DF, I would stop pedalling, brake, and worry about hitting the curb with the pedal. The height of the Cruzbike pedals are well above curb level so there is no reason to stop pedalling other than learned behavior from the old DF riding days. (Give it a try, Mick and Charles - start slowly at first). A note of caution that pertains to any bike - don't take fast turns on wet or rough roads or on fast declines.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
For me, I only have issues on

For me, I only have issues on fast descents (> 30 mph) and I try not to be stupid on blind curves. For everything else, I <sub> "power" </sub> on through.

thebean

The Silvio is ridiculously

The Silvio is ridiculously fun to ride! It's hard to explain the feeling you get each time you get on her. So different from any other bike I have ridden. Cross your fingers for me that Doug can get my sizing issues figured out with my v1.0. I so want to keep her and then repain her to a nice soft yellow or neon green color!

BobD

Mick.....
Ahhhh.....good to

Mick.....
Ahhhh.....good to hear you "hit the hood" with your Silvio. I am nowhere near where you are at yet with the Silvio. As I approach 20mph (unintentionally) I slow down. Descents at high speeds.....NOT yet!

I find myself in parking lots focusing on riding smaller and smaller circles.....making certain turns.....starts on inclines....riding straight lines......etc. Last time I was in this parking lot was when I taught my son to drive....

It is interesting. In many instances I get on the bike and just take off. Then all of sudden....."I forget what I know".....and I have difficulty starting up. I know that time will resolve it all. At other times......I am riding in a hypnotic state.....and all is good without thinking about it......

You chose a fantastic bent.....was also thinking about the Bacchetta as well. Let us know how you find it as your mileage increases.