My first ride on my Silvio S30

Valokey81

I finally received my Silvio from my bike shop last week. This would be the second bike shop I've been to because the first one had no idea what they were doing. Today would be the second time I've actually been on the bike. My first attemp was great at first but ended on a bad note. I read the forums on how to ride a Cruzbike. I followed all the steps and eventually worked on my figure 8's for a good 30 min. Towards the end of my ride I was leaning into a turn and the bike started to fall. I did catch it in time but I pulled a muscle in my quad. It hurt really bad to the point were I had to walk the bike back to the car. After about a week of recovering I took it out again today. I have to say the bike felt better then my first ride. I felt more relaxed and confident on the bike. I never left the parking lot because I still want to work on my turning and other fundamentals. I know I shouldn't feel to confident on the bike because it only takes a moment of not paying attention for something bad to happen. Thanks for all your helpful comments on my previous post. Here's a video of me on the Silvio I did today. I will post better pictures as soon as I can

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    918 KB · Views: 23

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You fell as you turned. Did you fall towards the inside of the turn? This seems to be a common thing with new riders. It kept happening to me until I realised how to compensate. When you turn, if you feel that you are about to fall outwards, you will get round the turn.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Main thing - don't let the front end get away from you - be in charge of that sucker with your feet, legs, and arms.

Many people we see here that try the bike do a bit too much passive upper arm flopping and then they feel like the front end is out of control. Take the reigns like a boss. Your progress looks great!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
That's one of the largest car parks I've seen, practicing in that is a blessing for sure.

When I was young I always wanted to ride a bike too big for me. Crazy idea and consequently when I could ride that mother of a bike I'd always fall off when I came to a stop.

With these cruzbikes it's important to learn at slow speeds because it's dead easy to go too fast. The Silvio has quite a low c of g so it might be an idea to stick a cushion between you and the seat.

I also found it easier to learn without wearing a helmet as my head felt more confortable however helmets are good and it's good to wear one that's comfortable.

The one I had when learning wasn't comfortable. I found that the helmets that didn't have a large adjuster at the back was the best (I took the adjuster off my old one and glued it flat) but you might not want to do that.

Let's put it out there: What's a good helmet that's not too expensive before you get into the realms of aero wind tunnels?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
That's one of the largest car parks I've seen, practicing in that is a blessing for sure.

Let's put it out there: What's a good helmet that's not too expensive before you get into the realms of aero wind tunnels?
Schwinn "Thrasher" is <20 USD and is surprisingly aerodynamic.
It does not ventilate very well at slow speeds, so it's well-suited to both Silvio and Vendetta applications.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Looks like he cheated a little as the car park is on a slope. It certainly helps having a slope when you start learning.

Steve Rose

great keep it up, it was slow for me al well. Please wear a helmet! You will occasionally fall and will be glad your helmet is on.