My Journey Begins...

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Let me begin by saying that my new journey could not have begun without the excellent customer service which I received and continue to receive, from Mr. Robert Holler with Rose City Recumbent Cycles
(https://www.facebook.com/RoseCityRecumbentCycles). Suffice it to say that he went the second mile and beyond to get me into a Silvio 2.0 and for that I am extremely grateful. When I upgrade, I will again turn to Mr. Holler (but don't tell my wife).

Ok, so, I went out for my first test ride this morning. I live in a peaceful neighborhood with a 2.2 mile loop, no hills, just flat ground with a number of WIDE turns.

I know that nothing I'm going to say about acclimating to the bike will be original since all you experienced Cruzbike riders have already gone down this path, but, it's new to me so bare with me.

I do have a couple of observations I'd like to share:

1. I am brand new to two wheel recumbent riding having purchased a 2001 Rans Rocket back on May 28, 2014. (I did have a 2010 Catrike Expedition but didn't like not being able to keep up with my DF friends.) I knew after the first month of riding that I was going to want something, well, a little more sexy. I thoroughly researched and read everything I could find about recumbent bikes and brands, and decided that I wanted a Silvio 2.0. There is a recumbent shop in town but they only sell Bacchettas and trikes so this was a bit of a leap of faith.

2. I was concerned about the seat angle and comfort but after I adjusted the arm and leg reach, and got out on the bike, I was actually surprised by how comfortable I felt in that narrow seat. If you are thinking about a Silvio 2.0, don't let the seat angle dissuade you.

3. About getting on the bike...I know that there is a recommended path to working up to relaxed riding, but, come on, really, I just had to give it a try. The bike was just sitting there in my garage, begging me to take here for a spin. I thought about level 1 - Flintstoning but I'm too old and fat and am not flexible enough to do that. Maybe after I while I will be able to do that.

4. So I get on the bike, brakes on, cycling sandals, stock flat pedals (no clipless yet), and I sit there for a moment allowing myself some time to take in the ambience. Then I decide it's time to move.

5. I learned very quickly that the easiest way (for me) to get going since I can't Flintstone, is to get my right foot on the pedal, look straight ahead down the road (NOT AT MY FEET), give a little push on the right pedal while applying forward pressure to the left handle bar. This got me started and off I went. Immediately I was introduced to Mr. Pedal Steer. It was an abrupt introduction and I'm not sure that we will
be able to continue the relationship into the future.

6. I read over and over again about the importance of relaxing the upper body and placing the open palms of the hands on the handle bars. As a former flight instructor and pilot, I had learned early about the importance of introducing light, minimal inputs into the flight controls. With this foremost in my mind, I began my "self talk" process and kept my upper body fairly relaxed, but forget the open palms, at least for now. So down the road I went...wobble, straight, wobble, straight, wobble, straight.

I only made two loops (4.4 miles) and it is obvious that I am going to have to concentrate on relaxing more. I am inadvertently introducing forces into the handle bars and pedals. I am also going to have to find a vacant parking lot and work on basic cycling skills. That said, I am encouraged and excited about my new Siivio and look forward to the journey ahead.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the Silvio Forum. You have all helped me tremendously.

Excelsior!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yup that sounds familiar as

Yup that sounds familiar as all heck; ...how tricky can it be.... *cough* ok off to the parking lot to practice the drills. Little doses over a number a days pays big dividends. Sleeping on it; acutually works.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Sleeping on it....

I was so comfortable on the seat, I just might try that!
tongue_smile.gif

It was really hot today when I went out at 1300 (97<sup>o</sup><sup> </sup>felt like 107). It really drained me so I won't be going out for skills practice this evening. But there's always tomorrow!
shades_smile.gif

In the meantime, it's time to accessorize!
wink_smile.gif

mzweili

Guru
Mounting a Bent-Up Bag

'' I did have a 2010 Catrike Expedition but didn't like not being able to keep up with my DF friends.''
Sounds really familiar to me.
Here some pics of my mounting bracket:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
2nd Ride

Just completed my 2nd "getting to know the bike" ride.

More relaxed, somewhat, starting to actually get a feel for the different inputs from my hands and pedals. Oh yes, may I add a hearty, YABBA DABBA DO!? That's right, I can now "Flintstone" AND successfully transition repeatedly into the "Slide and Glide" start! It's soooo easy!

I'm so proud of myself!
regular_smile.gif
Yes, contrary to popular belief, you "CAN TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS! Ruff!

So, starting is no problem.

Stopping is well, uh, yep, still a bit of a problem. Dang those brakes really grab! I have to really work on easing into them. I'm also not very good yet at transitioning from reclining to sitting, bit I'm getting there.

Typical turns at intersections without stop signs in my neighborhood are getting smoother. My brain is still processing the proper technique.

Turning in tighter circles and figure 8's are high on my agenda. I just have to find somewhere with ample space to practice.

I'm also working toward getting my bike accessorized so I am doing a lot of reading here. I need a rear seat bag, lights, and hydration.

It's a real joy to experience the pleasure of learning something different especially when it is also so much fun.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
In no time at all you will be

In no time at all you will be do'n the "RockNRoll". One foot on ground, one foot on pedal, rock back, roll forward, other foot up on pedal and off you go - RockNRoll"!!
regular_smile.gif

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Wearing a Silvio...

So, picture Monty Python characters riding their fake horses.
omg_smile.gif

Now picture yours truly trying to stop in from of my house. I slow down smoothly, hit the brakes a little too hard at the end, slide forward, go to stand up, and suddenly I'm wearing a Silvio...no really. The bike has attached itself to my gut like a remora to a shark.

Now I'm standing in front of my house with a bike hanging off my belly. I actually had to sit back down in the seat and slide back, to get off the bike! 4 inches of space between my belly and the handle bars. I guess I'm just really talented.

Now my question is, "Why am I the first to mention this?" There's no way I'm the first to experience this...right?

I'm loving my Silvio...we're very close.

ratz

The first rule.....

The first rule of fake horse club is you don't talk about fake horse club.

Tallihoe!

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
If you braked that hard on a

If you braked that hard on a regular bike, you might be wearing the asphalt rather than the bike!

ratz

Then there is the rear....

Since you have discovered the front brake-stand, then it's probably time to point out that you don't want to lock up the rear at speed going down hill. In the event you do; the effect resembles locking the brakes on a pickup truck; 1 second the back end is behind you and then next it will be on your right or left taunting you; and you can practice the sideways hop slide down the hill.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, the brakes

In my experience, the brakes on these bikes are so incredibly effective - more so than any other RWD two wheel recumbent I have ever been on.

As you gain confidence definitely develop a good technique for braking while at speed. I am glad that you are enjoying it so far!

Robert

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Stoppies!

Stoppies and slides, oh my!

-And wheelies... don't forget the classic wheelie!
?You do those by pedaling up a really steep hill and applying some
appropriate body English.
Rolling backwards back downhill on one wheel is not recommended:
don't do that.

Remember, the back wheel gets light underneath you when
you are serious about slowing down in a hurry.
The rear tire can develop flat spots in it's tread as it skates over the surface of the road.

These bike things are fun, aren't they?!

-Steve

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Robert - In my experience,

Robert - In my experience, the brakes on these bikes are so incredibly effective - more so than any other RWD two wheel recumbent I have ever been on.

Yeah, I noticed that too, wonder why. The S' stops on a dime, almost as good as disc brakes, more than plenty of stopping power.

1happyreader

zen/child method
stopping power

I was taught when panic braking on a DF to hunker down and attempt to slide my butt to the rear of the saddle .

So on cruzbike braking power I Gotta vote for :

1: lower center of gravity
2: more weight to the rear

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Great Ride Yesterday and Today!

Start and stops are getting better...

My front derailleur starting making noise...I tweaked but now it won't shift into the big chainring. I must have over adjusted the H set screw. I'm a newby. Did you notice my online name?

I have a Bent Up Aero Bag coming tomorrow and also a Ventisit pad. I feel so...Silvioesq.

I'm having so much fun.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Bent in Shipping...

So my problem was that the rear derailleur hanger was slightly bent during transport (I did notice an area on the side of the box that had some damage).

LBS got her straightened out and now she seems to be shifting much better. I'm thinking that I may have a little bit of cable stretch too that will need to be addressed.

I'm was getting much more comfortable when I decided to make a couple of changes...I went to a Ventisit seat and moved my cleats all the way to the bottom of their adjustment. I did this to give myself a little bit more leg stretch without changing the boom. I may still have to do that down the road.

I went out and practiced figure 8s and wide and narrow turns in the parking lot near my house...more practice to come! I have noticed that it is much easier to start from a stop when you are geared down...DOH!

My plans are to ride this baby in our local BP MS150 ride from Houston to Austin next April...I'm going to have to get a lot better by then...there will be 13,000 other riders!

I'm working on fitting my baby out with lights and getting my Bent Up Aero bag installed right now...having much fun! I just need another local Silvio rider to share the experience... I did notice that there is one in the area!

Until the next report... be safe!

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Mounting solution for a headlight...

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good mounting solution for a headlight on the front of the boom?

I was looking at this but I am not sure it will work.

http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-32.html

TIA