My Neck Rest is better than Yours.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Kline, that is a very effective way of turning a standard seat into a multi-angled curved seat!!!

How much did the neck roll cost and where did you buy it?

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Slim. Was hoping to find a way to be comfortable etc without changing to a different carbon fiber seat.

The neck roll (15 x 5cm) as well as the headrest pad (15 x 10 x 4cm) are made by Ventisit, the same people that make the seat pads. Both are €14.46. I ordered directly from the Ventisit website since I couldn't find those particular products elsewhere. Shipping from the Netherlands was pricey: approx €25.

I settled on those over any other padding for the ventilation properties, and because the Ventist material seems to compress or pack less than most with time and repeated use.

SamP

Guru
There is a belief on BROL that Ventisit material is ACS-10.

The whole class of materials are often called expanded or spacer mesh . If you just want the fabric, try a specialty fabric store (like American Home & Habitat) or ebay.

ACS-10 specifically doesn't seem to have a US distributor.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
There is a belief on BROL that Ventisit material is ACS-10.

The whole class of materials are often called expanded or spacer mesh . If you just want the fabric, try a specialty fabric store (like American Home & Habitat) or ebay.

ACS-10 specifically doesn't seem to have a US distributor.
If I remeber it correctly, Ventisit is made from same type of material but in specific depth and stiffnes just for Ventisit.nl. Bart has told us that. But it was late evening and some beer and whiskey was already drunken so my memory may be incorect.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Us Aussies, who have roots in Yorkshire, England, STILL have short arms and long pockets! and $50 shipping for such a light small parcel is a killer![/QUOTE

slim i come from pontefract i did not know you were english ee by gum lad. and you must be a scotsman. everyone know yorkshiremen are generous to a fault with long arms and deep pockets.

we have our very on peter heal who makes pads and he can be contacted through oz hpv. i think he is the secretary. check out the website.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dad come out to "Downunder" on a $10 Cruise Liner ticket, after WW2! and he lived at Ardesly, Yorkshire, England, ONLY 16 Km from Pontefract!!!!!!!

Its a SMALL world!!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Could you please take some close up photos, so I can see how it has been made and I will make one using ACS-10 mesh.

Sorry for the delay...

First up I cut the zip ties holding one of the Ventisit neck pads together and unfolded it so it was a one thickness flat sheet of acs-10, then cut and folded it to fit in the gap between the seat, neck rest and the seat pad. Then zip tied it to stay like I folded it:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Then put it in place. The velcro on the seat sticks a bit to the acs-10 and helps hold it in place. I plan to stick it and the seat pad down w more velcro sooner or later.
image.jpg image.jpg

The other Ventisit neck pad went in the sock w the stock pads, positioned to support my neck as well as position the Ventisit neck roll.

image.jpg
Actually there's no gap
image.jpg

Then on w the sock:
image.jpg

Add the neck roll w a buckle/velcro strip thru the center hole:

image.jpg image.jpg

(Continued next post; only 10 photos allowed per post)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Add a bit of extra velcro to the seat to help hold the sock in place, and all done:
image.jpg image.jpg

More like arts and crafts at summer camp than working on a bike ;). But very little cutting, no inner tubes, no permanent alterations, etc. Good visibility, vibration and shock damping, and comfort. On longer rides i have found the degree of neck flexion a bit bothersome but will give it time and stretching between rides etc to see if it's a real problem before going the Youngblood route.

(Bonus pics of my lights and high tech, ultra sophisticated precision formed spray painted pvc-pipe light mounts w inner diameter that perfectly fits sram bar ends ;)
image.jpg image.jpg
Blinking led's 400 lumens, run time on blink 4+ hours. Feather weight.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Kline I have taken back ALL those things I was thinking!!!!

Thank You!

What make of rear lights are they as they seem to be very bright???!!!
With 360 degree field of view!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Sam I usually just run one set at a time, that way I get over 8 hours out of the two, and 400 lumens is plenty for most roads. I can't ride 8 hours anyway so that's plenty for me! And I only use the 400 lumen setting in daylight while riding alone; they are adjustable for nightime or group rides. I wouldn't dream of blinding you ;)

Slim you are welcome! But if you were thinking i'm kinda lazy you're spot on so no worries :rolleyes:

The lights are NiteFlux (yes yet another Aussie company!) and they claim at least 270 degree field of view which i think is conservative; i think it is indeed closer to 360.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Sam I usually just run one set at a time, that way I get over 8 hours out of the two, and 400 lumens is plenty for most roads. I can't ride 8 hours anyway so that's plenty for me! And I only use the 400 lumen setting in daylight while riding alone; they are adjustable for nightime or group rides. I wouldn't dream of blinding you ;)

Slim you are welcome! But if you were thinking i'm kinda lazy you're spot on so no worries :rolleyes:

The lights are NiteFlux (yes yet another Aussie company!) and they claim at least 270 degree field of view which i think is conservative; i think it is indeed closer to 360.

Another SOUTH AUSTRALIAN, Adelaide, based Innovative company!!!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Add a bit of extra velcro to the seat to help hold the sock in place, and all done:
View attachment 2407 View attachment 2408

More like arts and crafts at summer camp than working on a bike ;). But very little cutting, no inner tubes, no permanent alterations, etc. Good visibility, vibration and shock damping, and comfort. On longer rides i have found the degree of neck flexion a bit bothersome but will give it time and stretching between rides etc to see if it's a real problem before going the Youngblood route.

(Bonus pics of my lights and high tech, ultra sophisticated precision formed spray painted pvc-pipe light mounts w inner diameter that perfectly fits sram bar ends ;)
View attachment 2409 View attachment 2410
Blinking led's 400 lumens, run time on blink 4+ hours. Feather weight.
News article from the year 2216:
"Historians reported today that the the cycling term we all know as the 'Youngblood seat' has been traced back to the cycling innovator Rick Youngblood, from 2014, who first mounted a normal seat on a normal bike. This was in the infancy of cycling when most bicycles had drive wheels in the rear and were made of antique materials such as carbon fiber and aluminum. It is unbelievable today that most cyclists of the time, if they could even be considered cyclists by today's standards, would subject themselves to multiple, permanent injuries that historians painfully describe as 'having a hammer pounded on a person's crotch area' for many hours a day. Hence the well known historical term used today for antique bicycles: ass hatchets. But this was from a very brutal time in history when most humans were obese, people usually died before the very young age of 100 years, speciesism and murder were mainstream, theocracy was threatening civilization, automobiles did not drive themselves (unimaginable), and cycling organizations actually banned normal bicycles from competition."

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
The Ventisit neck rest modifications, iterations, and implementations are both beautiful and useful...
but remember, "My Neck Rest is Better Than Yours."