My practice ride - video

quickbeam

I know people recommend doing endless numbers of figure-8's and such, but I need something more to keep me interested. Doing them around car stops (the cement blocks in each parking spot) gives you a little incentive to get it right. Playgrounds and parks have other paved areas that can be interesting. Here's a video of what I've been doing lately, now with 55 miles under the wheels, I've never ridden a recumbent bicycle before (except for maybe 10 minutes at a bike show last fall). My previous set of wheels was a recumbent trike, so no worries about balance there!

quickbeam

Thanks skip. I am definitely feeling a lot more confident than I was just 20 miles ago. Note that this doesn't have any high-speed stuff in it, I get a little nervous above 18 mph, so I need to work on that next.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@3:23 I love how kids are so open minded to new things verses say another adult rider. Every kid I come across under the age of about 13 has always call the Vendetta COOL. As they get older that cool response quickly turns to sarcastic smiles and odd finger pointing :rolleyes:

@3:23 I love how kids are so open minded to new things verses say another adult rider. Every kid I come across under the age of about 13 has always call the Vendetta COOL. As they get older that cool response quickly turns to sarcastic smiles and odd finger pointing :rolleyes:
Ditto

SamP

Guru
quickbeam: you look better than I do at slow speeds, and I've got thousands of miles under my belt. I probably should do more slow speed practice (though I did do some figure eights at the end of a recent ride).

I get a lot of "cool bike" comments from all ages, but kids are definitely more likely to say something. I remember one woman at a bus stop who just stared at me as I approached and I heard her slowly say "what the fuck" as I passed. I wonder if I've got that recorded on video.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Nice riding - I don't think I can do that. Would face plant into one of those cement stops! I really like the bird sounds too!

quickbeam

Nice riding - I don't think I can do that. Would face plant into one of those cement stops! I really like the bird sounds too!
Wow, cuz I certainly can't do what you do Larry!
I didn't even notice the bird song until I was putting the video together. I was in 3 areas over an area of several miles. It was the first bit of warm weather we've seen, and I guess the birds were enjoying it too.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Nice practice riding! In my parts I find the kids also saying cool bike or wow, guys saying cool bike (guys are just bigger kids), and the lady's mostly seem to laugh saying varying comments! In my head I still feel like I'm the kid when I'm riding and I'm saying cool and wow, but after riding many miles my body says let's take a break and laughing saying how old do you think you are? And my reply is now that I'm comfortably sitting on my CB I'm 16 again and going to the lake instead of school!

quickbeam

Wow, how many voices do you have in your head? The kid, the old body, and the 16-year-old that we know about .... ;)

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Oh,:rolleyes: there's more,;) but only my therapist knows how many:cool: and who's who!:p But I know that now we are all riding a Cruzbike!
:)

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I know people recommend doing endless numbers of figure-8's and such, but I need something more to keep me interested. Doing them around car stops (the cement blocks in each parking spot) gives you a little incentive to get it right. Playgrounds and parks have other paved areas that can be interesting. Here's a video of what I've been doing lately, now with 55 miles under the wheels, I've never ridden a recumbent bicycle before (except for maybe 10 minutes at a bike show last fall). My previous set of wheels was a recumbent trike, so no worries about balance there!

I can not see a blade of grass moving in the wind. Perfect!

quickbeam

Nice. Other than I don't recommend riding over the car stops. AWESOME!
Agreed, I've only done that a couple times, just so I know how it handles. I did note that those were smaller ones, and you can see they are angled in on top, so it's not a real sharp hit to the tire.