My recent 20K TT adventure - video included

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
... and no wrecks - even on rain slick roads - that is the best part.
They have a local Time Trial series called "Lung Buster" . This is the only one I have been able to do this year. It was pretty fun to beat up on all those "old fashioned bikes". I could have had a better time if it was not an "out-and-back" course, but still pretty happy with the result
I still have to learn how to "go harder" for these short distances too. I am just so used to "pacing" for those longer events.

Put on your helmet, and stretch out on your recliner and go along for the ride:

I will also try to go to a 10 Mile TT at the Charlotte Motor Speedway next Wed. Stayed tuned for that video next week. Then it's off to the UMCA Century National Championship next Sat in Washington, NC. I got second there last year, so a little unfinished business. :D:D:p:D

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
:lol bro you got to work on those U-turns
I know, but narrow road, laid back seat at 11 degrees, plus extra 4" wheelbase all working against me. I was doing some coast down testing at my neightborhood and found the fast way is to just bomb into the turn as fast as you can hit the breaks, stand up and grab the bike and spin 180, give one push forward and get back in. If you don't have the real estate to actually turn the bike at a decent speed, stopping and pivoting fast like that is better I think.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I know, but narrow road, laid back seat at 11 degrees, plus extra 4" wheelbase all working against me. I was doing some coast down testing at my neightborhood and found the fast way is to just bomb into the turn as fast as you can hit the breaks, stand up and grab the bike and spin 180, give one push forward and get back in. If you don't have the real estate to actually turn the bike at a decent speed, stopping and pivoting fast like that is better I think.

Your u-turn was fine and better than I would expect from 99% of recumbents in a race. The technique I use is similar to what we use in motocross. I unclip my inside foot and hang it out to the side possibly just skimming the ground for confidence as I lean the bike over and complete the turn as quickly and sharply as possible. I using a couple complimenting techniques can also save you a few seconds such having your right foot clipped in and at 12oclock for instant power out of the corner. This will also naturally left you out of the corner as well as accelerate you ahead. Slightly sitting up can also make most people more comfortable with leaning the bike over more as it creates a needed separation between the shoulders and seat back.

Another thing to practice is pedaling out of the corner with only you right foot clipped in. Getting 1-2 rotations of guaranteed power and forward momentum is better than fumbling with the pedal for 3 seconds with no forward momentum. I'm not saying to always pedal out with one foot, we tend to know mid pedal stroke wether our foot is going to clip in instantly or be troublesome. It's in the instant you need to switch your focus to single leg acceleration just to keep things moving.

These are just I few things I think can help most of the forum browsers here.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I just realized today just how fast you are riding the bike. I don't think the video does it justice. I have a bridge I quite often cross and the descent makes the bike go as fast as you are pedalling. It is a speed that I am nervous with as the roads aren't maintained terribly well. It is incredible that you maintain that and above 170bpm. That is difficult.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Lightning Larry goes uphill as fast as I go on the flat. The road was wet, but at least it was smooth. I am confident handling the bike at speed, but I am nervous about hitting a hole. I could do that U-bend easily on my Silvio, and keep my feet on the pedals. Larry needs to try my Silvio. I will borrow his legs. And his lungs. The UCI would love that.

I like the scenery. Better than Mt Diablo.