my silvio journey

Brokeneck

June 15 Sunday morning ride with the race team uprights

First time I rode with my old club and race team since 6 months before my neck surgery in 2012. Started out and rode with my tennis shoes instead of clip less, started at the back of the pack. Stayed with them for about 7 miles passed numerous uprights about ten. Stopped for a brake at 11 miles caught up and kept pace, sprinted up a hill against an upright and blew the doors off of them on a 5 percent grade, had no breakfast and only on gu, bonks at 22 miles. Then leg cramps started, took the last five at a 18 mph pace, not pushing the hills. The group averaged about 20 to 22 mph, o came in still ahead on about 15 uprights, there were about 60 riders on the ride. All and all I am very happy with my performance,enjoyed the ride and had not for years. This is an awesome bike to ride and fun to, I can challenge uprights and leave them in my dust now, LMAO, :eek:) big. Grin!

Brokeneck

did a few modifications today

painted my rear light to match the bike,
adjusted the rear shock out about an inch for a more comoftable ride,
this bike is easy and awesome to work on, adjusted lots of things on the bike after my ride today, will be going out with the group for a hard ride on sunday, Tomorrow. I am now riding on continental 700c 25 c tires with Tuffy inserts, i swear by the tuffy inserts, I have had 3 or 4 flats in the last 5 years using them. that is with a total of about 25,000 miles over the last 5 years. the 25c tires do give a much smoother ride and the lost of speed is not even noticeable.

Brokeneck

sat and sun rides

Saturday I was out and blew my rear tire at mile 9 hit a small Peice of metal that ripped a 1.5 inch hole in my continental 25c tire bike was very stable as i slowed down from 22 miles an hour, awesome repaired and replace tire and tube, ride ready for sunday

Sunday rode with my club in north houston blew the doors off of 8 uprights on a mile long 5 % hill, by the time i hit the cut off i could not even see them, I cut my ride short to 23 miles since i lost my speedometer. The bike is awesome i can accerlate fast and will start clipping in this coming week, i did for a mile or so this weekend and WOW lots more power and speed spinning.

I just realized for years i have had this horrible knee problem due to an injury, it would swell up and i would have to ice it after rides, i have noticed no knee pain after riding my silvio or swelling, my knee is actually getting stronger since my start on the silvio. The silvio has also been key in my building my upper strength and grip back up since 4 neck surgeries. This bike has been an incredible blessing for my health.

Glad i purchased the bike and love riding the bike It is Awesome

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
That's great news Broken. You

That's great news Broken. You will get faster and faster the as you pour on the miles.

I've got about 2350 miles now on my Silvio (I named my bike Dr. Silvio, MD - kind of dumb, but fitting), and am still seeing speed and climbing increasing. Also I've noticed my pectorals and forearms muscles have increased in mass too.

Ivan

Guru
"I got ripped pecs and biceps

"I got ripped pecs and biceps from riding my Cruzbike!" - Rick Y. Hmmm...if only I was so fortunate!! :)

Brokeneck, how do you think your performance on that long 5% hill compare with your previous efforts on a good DF road bike, before you got your Silvio?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hey Now!  Ha Ha, Ivan  ~ "I

Hey Now!
regular_smile.gif
Ha Ha, Ivan ~ "I got ripped pecs and biceps from riding my Cruzbike!" - Rick Y. -

Sounds like a headline for a muscle magazine.

Tone that down a little, and change "ripped" to "toned" and some muscle mass gain in pecs! That sound better, yes?

Brokeneck

my performance thus for

Ivan, my performance is increasing, on my old DF bikes it was falling off ( My Bike: 2010 Orbea Orca, ultegra groupo, mavic R-sys carbon spoke wheels super stiff ad fast on hills) I just clipped into my SPD petals for part of the ride about 10% of my ride. I did go full time on my morning ride today. Will be clipping in on my sunday group ride tomorrow. I won't be competing anytime soon LOL but it feels nice to have a strong grip again.

Rick I call my bike My physical therapist, I am getting healthier riding this bike over my DF bikes! after 4 neck surgeries i had lost hope on recovering any upper body tone and strenght, my silvio has helped me regain alot back, that is a hidden surprise riding a cruszbike.

I rode our club charity ride the fourth north of houston, about 1000 to 1500 riders on the ride just 20, 32 or 64 miles extremely hilly. I only did 35 before the rain started coming in, However i rode this much better than before, I passed about 150 riders after the start putting me in the top 35 percent, I have not done that in a 7 years.

Many at the ride had never heard of or seen a cruzbike. many people were very interested in my bike, told them where to go check them out.

I still have several people in my sunday ride group that remain cynical towardsthe bike, I reassured them i did not need their approval on my bike choice LOL. One lady keeps insisting that you only work your glutes on a recumbent, she is hard headed and does not understand that more muscles are worked on this bike than on uprights. LOL they will learn when I am a little faster and leave them behind on a hill soon LOL!!!!!
All I have to say is I have not felt this passionate about bike riding in years!

Brokeneck

Thanks John

I enjoy riding , i have my passion back for riding, the bike as far as i am concerned is one of those wonders of the world, It is incredibly fun to ride comfortable and fast, today 7-13-14. I hit 29.5 MPH on a flat straight away, averaged just under 17 mph for my ride. I feel stronger each week, J

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I'd like to see one day a

I'd like to see one day a physiotherapy study into the use of this bike for recovering back conditions. The anecdotal evidence is becoming hard to ignore.

There are some contra-indications, such as if pressure on the back causes pain, because you do lay on your back and that can't be avoided. But if the position basically works, then the strengthened musculature around the core and spine seems to make very clear differences.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I would too, like to see a

I would too, like to see a study done.

I used to have fairly sever back pain and was seeing a Chiropractor 1-3 time a week for 18 months 5 years ago. The pain was in my lower back. Come to find out I had or have a compression fracture said to be from osteoporosis. The pain would range from 5-10 continuously. Three years ago I took up recumbent bike riding. I've had many bent bikes, all with about the same seat recline 25-29 degrees. It seemed the more I rode, the better I started to feel, so the more I would ride. Today I can say the lower back is completely gone, I've been pain free for a couple of years now.

This is why I named my Silvio "Dr. Silvio, MD"
wink_smile.gif
!!

Brokeneck

Best contact information to give to riders intersted in cruzbike

Maria, Jim, John, I am doing a ride in East Texas the weekend of the 4th of October. I was wondering what is the best contact information to give out. The ride is a ride I have done in past years and I usually see a lot of recumbent riders on this ride. I had people taking pictures of my bike this past Sunday asking lots of questions and lots of interest for their dad mom or grand parent(s). I usually tell them to google Cruzbike and tell them about the whole line of bikes. This bike has restored me to a sport i have loved most of my life. It has helped me recover from lower back and neck surgeries and get stronger. with that said When people inquire i want to make sure they get the best information.

I look forward to seeing Cruzbike around for many years to come.

I am looking at a second lesser bike than my silvio maybe the softrider for riding the park trails near my home and up to my neighborhood store. I am extremely proud of my bike and it is so awesome to see the looks on hills from upright riders when i pass them going up hill. I enjoy making the younger riders really work to pass me or beat me to the top of a hill. it is fun to lift my tush off the seat and sprint them up a hill and leave them in my dust. i have been getting a lot of looks and questions from the TT riders where i ride cause they cannot catch me till we get to a red light.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Lesser...?

How cheeky.

My bike is no less a bike than is yours, Mr. Brokeneck.

If you have some spare room in your bag,
why not consider carrying a pack of business cards
with contact information on them?
You can hand one out to anyone who expresses
any interest.
It's easy for you: you don't have to keep repeating yourself.
It's easy for them: they don't have to pretend to remember stuff.

----

And, for anyone in Cruzbikeland:

?Tilley hats used to -maybe they still do- include cards with
their Tilley Endurable hats, for their happy customers to give away.

You're welcome!

Ride safe,

-Steve

kenhardwick

ride in East Texas the weekend of the 4th of October

James,
Is that the Pineywoods Purgatory in Lufkin ? If so, I'm going to be there. Wife has a conference in Beaumont so I'm doing this ride.
Signed up for the Century but may do one of the sorter rides if find too difficult.

In reference to your comment about your hill climbing on your Silvio. I rode in an event this weekend, doing a 60 miler. At the last rest stop, I had a guy come up to me and says..."I've been riding for years and you're the fastest recumbent rider on up hills I've ever seen." And, of course, I gave all the credit to my Silvio especially since I am old, out of shape and overweight. But a great complement to John's development and design of the Cruzbike.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I'll put in a few recent

I'll put in a few recent one-liners too!

1)
On a bike shop ride couple weeks back - I hammered this 1.8 mile climb with Tim Turner and another hard-core fella (probably 55 yrs old but a complete specimen).

http://www.strava.com/activities/191331956/segments/4495993346

I launched the first part of the climb not knowing it was about 2 miles long.
The hard-core fella didn't like seeing TWO recumbents in front of him so he dropped the hammer.
His little carbon Cervelo probably ended up beating me by a good 30-40 seconds and when I came to a stop next to him (and Tim who passed me 1/2 way up) at the summit he said...
I thought recumbents weren't supposed to be able to climb!

2)
Tim is on a Bachetta CA2, has phenomenal technique, and can put out 4watts / KG - and he has the KOM on this climb.
Tim said once - on a different day - "That bike!! (the Vendetta) is the real deal!"

3)
A heavily "invested" upright rider I passed on my commute recently came up to me at the next red light and said, very emphatically

"I have NEVER been passed by someone so fast as you just passed me."

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wasn't really going that hard - I just told him that on this bike I am "very aero".

There is SO much speed to be had - love it.
+1 John, Maria, Jim, and Team Cruzbike!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Lief,
Can you get Tim on the

Lief,

Can you get Tim on the Vendetta? That is something that I've been hoping to see for over a year now...

Cheers,
Charles

Lief

Guru Schmuru
He's ridden it...

He's puttered around on my Silvio at Portland Raceway once or twice.
I can't recall if he tried out the Vendetta - not sure why actually.

He's a little put off by the MBB but he still thinks it's a killer bike and if we ever have the opportunity to get him on it for any length of time - I'm sure he would give it a good old college try.

He's about 4+ inches shorter than me (guessing) and we swapped shoes and bikes that time in Portland.
He had a hard time reaching my x-seam to make it a useful test, and I likewise was a little cramped in his cockpit...

We did talk about a long-term swap at one time...maybe...just maybe...not sure I'm willing to give up the Vendetta for a month or two tho. :)