My Ultegra Triple equipped Silvio

Rick, this is my FIRST

Rick, this is my FIRST RECUMBENT! I have a Giant OCR-C2 composite Upright road bike with Triple Ultegra that I've been riding for the past 2.5 years
Handling is great with the WTB Mountain Road Bar
Its much more comfortable than the upright road bike. Rear suspension could use a little give (John is looking at maybe a softer bushing for the rear). Seat position requires some additional foam between the bottom and rear pads for my body but thats personal preference and you can adjust as needed. I bought a huge slice of MiniCell Foam for $22 shipped and cut out a piece to go inbetween (See attachment below) the bottom and rear pads because this is where my lower back is when my sacral curve is sitting on the front part of the bottom pad.
Speed hasn't been an issue yet, I can cruise pretty darn quick on this bike, I set it up with 700x28 tires for more comfort but still feel its as efficient as my upright with 700x25 tires. I might be 1mph average slower but I think thats just because of the switch from upright to recumbent and will diminish over time.
I would only go triple. Yes I live in North Texas, yes its pretty much flat, but there is a small hill here or there and I want to have the gearing to get over it. Plus I enjoy going on Adventure Cycling bike tours around the US and many of them you'll encounter hills/mountains like the Sierra Sampler I did last year or the Texas Hill Country I'm doing next month. Triple doesn't cost any more than a double, plus the middle chainring you pretty much can cruise in all day long, allowing less gear changing then a double would require. I wouldn't go with anything else.
It took me about 50 miles to get use to the bike on the road bars, once I switched to the WTB Mountain Road bar it was night and day and I feel in control and an expert now! So if you stick with road bars you're curve will probably take longer, the WTB bars give you better control, better leverage, more room, I literally must say they are a match made in heaven for this Silvio.
minicell.JPG

Still working on the minicell

Still working on the minicell foam, was able to use a coat hanger to make a hot wire and then slice the front part of the foam at about a 30 degree angle so that it wedges under the bottom seat properly, went for a 7 mile ride it seems pretty comfortable, might be nicer if the bottom and rear cushions were one piece.

I installed my CatEye TL-LD500D and dual TL-LD600 lights today on the Old Man Sherpa rack. I think someone can see me now from behind.
cateye_rear.JPG

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Triple for me too.Last sat we

Triple for me too.Last sat we did a ride with a long not to steep hill but I was glad to have that triple. Jack

Rick Harker

Hi Brian, it's interesting to

Hi Brian,

it's interesting to see your seat improvements with the foam.
I've noticed with the trike builders here in Oz they use an open cell foam at 3 inches thick. Its use is mainly for breathability first and comfort second. But in contrast to the temperatures I've seen posted from U.S. we're experiencing 40c at the moment (104f) and in the recumbent position, lots of sunscreen please.
Is the seat pad adjustable at all?

Regards,

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: I should

Rick Harker wrote:
I should say the seat base, not pad.

Rick.

I believe the seat, both parts of the seat, are welded, integral parts of the frame.

Mark

Thats correct the seat is a

Thats correct the seat is a single flowing piece welded to the frame. The seat bottom I personally feel is a little too rakish towards the seat back, creating a low spot in my lower back when I'm sitting in the seat. This wouldn't be a problem if I placed my lower back against the seat back, but then because of the rake of the seat bottom, the front edge lip is tapping my thighs, or I should say the bottom of my thighs are tapping the front edge of the seat bottom. This is more of a personal issue I feel then a design flaw so don't see this as a flaw in the Silvio design. I'm just trying to tweak the seat pads to have a less drastic curviture between the seat bottom and back so that when I sit with my buns more towards the middle front of the seat bottom my thighs won't be tapping the edge. I am positive this can be rectified with an adjustment in the seat and so far the piece I stuck in the picture (with the front edge lip sliced off so that I don't feel a bump thru the padding) seems to be working out pretty good (only 10 miles tested so far). With that in place now I feel just the bottom edge of the rear pad or I should say I can feel the difference between the bottom and rear pads, this is leading me to believe that I might have to cut and shape my own seat pad and cover it with foam and material that would be all one piece.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hmmm... I suspect I'm longer

Hmmm... I suspect I'm longer legged than Brian, so I might have some of the same troubles with a lower bottom bracket. On my conversion, I had tailbone issues at first. That seemed more an issue of just getting used to the seating position. But... I think there may be a better cushion solution, too. Perhaps a one piece, like you say, Brian.

Oh well, I'm not going to fuss about it until i build my bike and ride it for awhile.

Mark

Kamatu

On the seat, the other thing

On the seat, the other thing I have some lust for is a Catrike Expedition and I have noticed that a lot of riders add a variety of office chair back supports that can be bought cheaply. The just lumbar ones they use at about shoulder height and the ones that slope back from bottom to top they mount upside down. I think that might help some by changing the body angle. There are certain angles of sitting in recliners that are just not comfortable for me even if I'm sitting in an easy chair. Well, except for my big "papa" recliner we just got rid of after 16 years.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Good report, Brian. FWIW, I

Good report, Brian.

FWIW, I agree 110% with what you say about a triple chainring setup. I love the 42 for most of the cruising I do. Kick it up to the big ring when really rolling, or on a fast downhill. I don't use the 30 much, but when I need it, I'm darned glad it's there. I'm not sold on the compact gearing because you don't have the top end you need for downhills and open road sailing.

Mark

admin

Administrator
Staff member
 think the problem is with

think the problem is with shorter riders.My X seam is 41 and the triple went right on with no problem. Jack