N24HC 2016

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Haaaa he is following you all the time.... You are giving your game plan away by blogging it.
I just keep bugging Ratz to ride in some event so we can ride together!
Hey Ratz, the N24HC is a lot closer to you than Sebring - come on over to that and I might do the same. Pretty sure Joe and Kevin will be riding their V's there! :)

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I just keep bugging Ratz to ride in some event so we can ride together!
Hey Ratz, the N24HC is a lot closer to you than Sebring - come on over to that and I might do the same. Pretty sure Joe and Kevin will be riding their V's there! :)
I'll be there fer sher.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So what's the deal with all these events. you go to their site and they make it bloody impossible to find the event dates. Shouldn't that be in bright neon on the front page?

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
So what's the deal with all these events. you go to their site and they make it bloody impossible to find the event dates. Shouldn't that be in bright neon on the front page?
N24HC is June 18, 2016. I see it on the home page on my phone.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I race a lot and you just stated one of my greatest pet peeves about event websites. It should always be on the front page slapping you in the face.

Another one is people posting about things and not including a link forcing lazy people like myself to decide wether or not I really want to search the web or do nothing.

LarryOz

Yes, it seems most even web pages are pretty lame - Check out Calvin's Challenge - ugh - They don't even have records updated from last 2 years in stats.
But at least they have the date on the main page
http://www.calvinschallenge.com/

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I race a lot and you just stated one of my greatest pet peeves about event websites. It should always be on the front page slapping you in the face.

Another one is people posting about things and not including a link forcing lazy people like myself to decide wether or not I really want to search the web or do nothing.

Sorry I forgot you'd have to put the donut down;

just use 1 hand to click the link http://www.n24hc.org

The date is there but it's "below the fold" stupid bad web design

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You'll almost never find a single sorce that'll cover every event as most are grass roots level and aren't the best at promoting.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Your speed average is great... You must have been pushing it. Well done
Surprisingly, there was an unofficial mass start. Many others started earlier, but a large group of serious cyclists started together just after 8:00 AM, then broke into two groups after a few miles. I rode 26 miles alone to the start, checked in (this was the 100 Grand ride), then did a hundred or more with the lead group, then I was tired, and then I limped home for another 26 miles. So it was quite a good workout.

LarryOz

In an attempt to try and figure out how to ride through the night (for the N24HC event) and with what kind of effort (power), I took off to my "super secret test facility" last night "per a suggestion from Ratz", after my wife went to bed and rode for 6 hours. It was actually windy part of the night (amazing, and humid and light fog developed after 3am. My visor and glasses fogged up almost immediately so I know I gave up about 1/2 mph on the speed, but that was not the point so not a big deal. I really wanted to see what my power/HR where after having been up all day.
I also could not really seem my Garmin even when lit, so I was riding mostly blind from the perspective of what kind of power/speed/HR I was really outputing.
I rode the entire 6 hours on 7 scoops of infinit in 36 ounces of water and drank no other water during the ride.
I went about as fast as I could safely ride with the fog, which required extreme focus especially around the corners which come up every 20 seconds!
I tried to hit the lap button about every 15 minutes so it could help me fish through the data.
I stopped 3 time to "relieve" myself and check my lighting and power pack. I think I missed one at 18 so it is 30 minutes instead of 15.
Therefor laps 7, 13 & 18 have a slower average mph (and a little less power) because of stopping for over a minute during the segment.
I only "felt" kind of tired once. This is when 2 large moths flew into my light beam and field of view and scared me pretty good.

I ended up averaging about 140 watts on and average HR of 131 which is close to my upper aerobic training limit. I went around the track about 570 times!
Obviously I do not know if I can push this kind of power after having being ridding for 14 hours before it gets dark, which is what will happen at the event.

https://www.strava.com/activities/605610601

While I was riding through the night I did some math in my head: There are 256 participants in this event. The small night loop is 6.9 miles long. Accourding to my "math", that is 5280'*6.9=36,432'. Divide this by the 256 riders already signed up and you get 142'. That means on average, there is only ~140 feet between each cyclist during the night loop. To put that into perspective, that means that is like 9 people sharing that little 1/4 mile track that I just rode on. That is an amazing density. I guess no one should get lonely!

Another intersting tid-bit: Of the 256 cyclists, only 12 are riding recumbents, and 3 of them we know are riding Vendettas

Last edited:

LarryOz

OK, I have tuned up, tightened up, and loaded up the Vendetta for the 24 hour "race".
This is more of a "data collection" opportunity for me as apposed to a "real" race, so I have loaded the bike up with front and rear video, probably 3 total pounds of Battery banks to run everything, etc, etc.
I haven't weighed her yet, but I'll bet she's close to 36-37 pounds (without my 98 pounds to add - nice to be gnome sized isn't it!)
Here some photos - and some secret prototype stuff I've been working on in my spare time too - enjoy!

V20 front detail-s.jpg V20 left side detail-s.jpg V20 right side detail-s.jpg

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
OK, I have tuned up, tightened up, and loaded up the Vendetta for the 24 hour "race".
This is more of a "data collection" opportunity for me as apposed to a "real" race, so I have loaded the bike up with front and rear video, probably 3 total pounds of Battery banks to run everything, etc, etc.
I haven't weighed her yet, but I'll bet she's close to 36-37 pounds (without my 98 pounds to add - nice to be gnome sized isn't it!)
Here some photos - and some secret prototype stuff I've been working on in my spare time too - enjoy!

View attachment 2727 View attachment 2728 View attachment 2729
Larry, if you start riding now, you should get here just in time to start the race.