National 24 Hour Challenge 2015

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
This year's event had perfect weather, even through the night. The forecast was for rain and thunderstorms, but the weather cleared up and even the nighttime temperature was great. I rode my Vendetta, and that bike is just fun to ride, even after riding for 24 hours. I met up with Kevin Gambill (Larry's friend) in the morning of the event. His wife was gracious enough to crew for me, since I didn't have a crew. If not for her, I would have been passed out in a ditch somewhere, left for dead. I have never done more than centuries, and this event goes way beyond 100 miles - that's just the warmup. The first loop is 121.9 miles. Kevin ended up getting first place in the recumbent class at well over 400 miles (EDIT: 462.3 miles). We both paid the price - I was feeling pretty bad afterwards, and he felt even worse than I did. The event ended at 8 AM this morning. When I got home, after drinking a lot and then weighing myself in the afternoon, I was still 6 pounds lighter than when I weighed in on Saturday morning. That's how dehydrated I was. Kevin pushed it harder than I did and he did it for the entire race - he's an animal. He has a red Vendetta, but he hasn't trained on it enough to do this type of event yet, so he was on his Bacchetta.

Here's what happened from my perspective. I missed a turn and ended up going through checkpoint 2 twice (deja vu). It was well documented, so they ended up crediting me for the extra 10 miles I rode for no reason. They didn't have to do that for me, so that alone shows the calibre of the people running this event. It's a top notch event. I know what it takes to pull off an annual event because my racing team hosted a very popular time trial on an annual basis for many years. It is a big pile of work, any way you look at it.

Later on, my stomach started to dislike drinking sugar water. And I could no longer even think about Cliff Bars without gagging. Surprisingly, here's what got me through the night, stuff I never thought I would use in a long distance event: potato chips, Starbucks Frappacino, Coke with sugar, Sprite with sugar, Ginger Ale with sugar, 5-hour Energy, and turkey and cheese sandwiches with mustard. And then there are the less surprising things: ibuprofen, Tylenol, straight water in the hydration system. Speaking of water, the water at checkpoint 3 tasted like pool water - it was simply extremely horrible. It made me gag, but I had to drink it. That didn't help at all. And previously, the first time through checkpoint 2, one woman was trying to help me fill my bottles from a big water container (my bottles have liners and are more tricky to fill). Another woman took a hose, lost control, blew all the drink mix out of one of my bottles and proceeded to spray my storage bag on the boom, my bike, my helmet lens (leaving water spots), and couldn't turn it off until the damage was done.

Kevin and I stayed with the front pack all the way to checkpoint 1, where I got separated. Then I was on my own for the rest of the event. At one point, before checkpoint 1, a guy in an old, beaten up pickup truck separated me from the pack by driving at me head on in my lane and partially on the shoulder forcing me to go in the oncoming lane to avoid getting hit head on. What a jerk! But I was able to chase down the lead pack still at that point.

Then my cog-set shifter kept going out of tune over and over. I would stop and get it right, then later it would shift poorly again. I asked a mechanic and he said the other bike shop gave me the wrong barrel adjuster for the derailleur. He tuned it up and it was perfect for quite a while, then it went out of tune again.

Once my stomach started acting up, I went between feeling okay and feeling queazy. This was probably at least half of the event. I found a simple indicator of what will work is to think about any type of food and see how I would react. If I wanted to puke, it was bad. If I craved it, it was good. I really wanted white cheddar cheese crackers but the closest thing was potato chips, which really hit the spot. I ended up laying on the grass to let my stomach settle, thereby losing miles.

Around 1:45 AM, I started falling asleep on my bike. I laid down in the grass and zoned out for a while. I got up, drank some Starbucks Frapp, and was never sleepy again afterwards. It has some fat in it and it hit my stomach just right. Who would have guessed? Fat and salt have their place in the endurance event diet.

In the end, I was officially at 371.1 miles. This is by far the longest I have ever ridden. I enjoyed the event thoroughly, and no matter how bad I felt at certain points in the event, my bike felt amazing. After the event, I drove home, laid down on the couch, and passed out. I got up, tried to eat a chocolate chip cookie and almost puked. I craved McDonald quarter pounders with cheese (that I usually never eat) and a large McDonald's Mocha Frapp. I sucked down two burgers and the large Frapp like nobody's business. They really hit the spot.

Bottom line: I am exhausted - but I'm happy.

EDIT: Kevin did 462.3 miles.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great report Joe. I was wondering how you where doing at many times during the day.
You have now been through the fire of what a 24 hour race is! Congratulations and welcome to the club!
The most amazing thing to me about a 24 hour race, is how short (and easy) it makes the 12 hour ones seem! :)

jond

Zen MBB Master
This year's event had perfect weather, even through the night. The forecast was for rain and thunderstorms, but the weather cleared up and even the nighttime temperature was great. I rode my Vendetta, and that bike is just fun to ride, even after riding for 24 hours. I met up with Kevin Gambill (Larry's friend) in the morning of the event. His wife was gracious enough to crew for me, since I didn't have a crew. If not for her, I would have been passed out in a ditch somewhere, left for dead. I have never done more than centuries, and this event goes way beyond 100 miles - that's just the warmup. The first loop is 121.9 miles. Kevin ended up getting first place in the recumbent class at well over 400 miles. We both paid the price - I was feeling pretty bad afterwards, and he felt even worse than I did. The event ended at 8 AM this morning. When I got home, after drinking a lot and then weighing myself in the afternoon, I was still 6 pounds lighter than when I weighed in on Saturday morning. That's how dehydrated I was. Kevin pushed it harder than I did and he did it for the entire race - he's an animal. He has a red Vendetta, but he hasn't trained on it enough to do this type of event yet, so he was on his Bacchetta.

Here's what happened from my perspective. I missed a turn and ended up going through checkpoint 2 twice (deja vu). It was well documented, so they ended up crediting me for the extra 10 miles I rode for no reason. They didn't have to do that for me, so that alone shows the calibre of the people running this event. It's a top notch event. I know what it takes to pull off an annual event because my racing team hosted a very popular time trial on an annual basis for many years. It is a big pile of work, any way you look at it.

Later on, my stomach started to dislike drinking sugar water. And I could no longer even think about Cliff Bars without gagging. Surprisingly, here's what got me through the night, stuff I never thought I would use in a long distance event: potato chips, Starbucks Frappacino, Coke with sugar, Sprite with sugar, Ginger Ale with sugar, 5-hour Energy, and turkey and cheese sandwiches with mustard. And then there are the less surprising things: ibuprofen, Tylenol, straight water in the hydration system. Speaking of water, the water at checkpoint 3 tasted like pool water - it was simply extremely horrible. It made me gag, but I had to drink it. That didn't help at all. And previously, the first time through checkpoint 2, one woman was trying to help me fill my bottles from a big water container (my bottles have liners and are more tricky to fill). Another woman took a hose, lost control, blew all the drink mix out of one of my bottles and proceeded to spray my storage bag on the boom, my bike, my helmet lens (leaving water spots), and couldn't turn it off until the damage was done.

Kevin and I stayed with the front pack all the way to checkpoint 1, where I got separated. Then I was on my own for the rest of the event. At one point, before checkpoint 1, a guy in an old, beaten up pickup truck separated me from the pack by driving at me head on in my lane and partially on the shoulder forcing me to go in the oncoming lane to avoid getting hit head on. What a jerk! But I was able to chase down the lead pack still at that point.

Then my cog-set shifter kept going out of tune over and over. I would stop and get it right, then later it would shift poorly again. I asked a mechanic and he said the other bike shop gave me the wrong barrel adjuster for the derailleur. He tuned it up and it was perfect for quite a while, then it went out of tune again.

Once my stomach started acting up, I went between feeling okay and feeling queazy. This was probably at least half of the event. I found a simple indicator of what will work is to think about any type of food and see how I would react. If I wanted to puke, it was bad. If I craved it, it was good. I really wanted white cheddar cheese crackers but the closest thing was potato chips, which really hit the spot. I ended up laying on the grass to let my stomach settle, thereby losing miles.

Around 1:45 AM, I started falling asleep on my bike. I laid down in the grass and zoned out for a while. I got up, drank some Starbucks Frapp, and was never sleepy again afterwards. It has some fat in it and it hit my stomach just right. Who would have guessed? Fat and salt have their place in the endurance event diet.

In the end, I was officially at 371.1 miles. This is by far the longest I have ever ridden. I enjoyed the event thoroughly, and no matter how bad I felt at certain points in the event, my bike felt amazing. After the event, I drove home, laid down on the couch, and passed out. I got up, tried to eat a chocolate chip cookie and almost puked. I craved McDonald quarter pounders with cheese (that I usually never eat) and a large McDonald's Mocha Frapp. I sucked down two burgers and the large Frapp like nobody's business. They really hit the spot.

Bottom line: I am exhausted - but I'm happy.
wow awesome respect. to take yourself to the limit and join the likes of Larry in the mad crazy 24 hour club. i am smiling like crazy for you. well done thanks for sharing your ride report. inspires us all to do something crazy . maybe not crazy like this but you never know. recover well forget the pain. amazing effort especially given your previous longest. pure respect.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Great job Joseph! How did you like that little hill on the 7 mile loop? :eek:

The rollers on the 24 mile loop are my favorite.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
593 km in 1 day is an incredible achievement!!!!

AS is finding out what food your stomach can tolerate, when stressed with such a long hard effort!!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
inspired by your avatar i would have to say that this 24hr effort was "no country ride for old men." creeps me out remembering the scene in the gas station and making the "call" on the coin toss. ( we call them petrol stations here downunda) thanks for the gutsy inspirational ride and sharing. :)

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
The N24HC results are in. Overall, 35th place out of 256 cyclists at 371.1 miles.

I'm almost recovered enough for Saturday morning: the MSU Gran Fondo 80-mile charity ride to fund skin cancer research. It has teams and timing chips. Sure does sound like a race. I wonder if I can keep it under 4 hours.

The N24HC results are in. Overall, 35th place out of 256 cyclists at 371.1 miles.

I'm almost recovered enough for Saturday morning: the MSU Gran Fondo 80-mile charity ride to fund skin cancer research. It has teams and timing chips. Sure does sound like a race. I wonder if I can keep it under 4 hours.
Well done Joseph and very respectable. Have fun at the Gran Fondo.

jond

Zen MBB Master

go well enjoy have fun first and the speed will take care of itself :) be safe.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great job Joe! Way to represent the "tribe", and a fantastic personal accomplishment!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey, that was a great race report Joe. Dehydration is a real issue, many riders alleviate the condition by using sugoi arm coolers.

I am thinking next year of entering some endurance events so I am interested in how everyone prepares. I wonder if there is any type of big tablet that you can stick to the bottom of a bottle that when you need to refill you just peel it off and put into the empty bottle and fill up with water?

When I use to go crazy in the gyms I use to have some protein shakes you would just mix with water, shake and drink. Would these be any good? I guess they would be too heavy for the stomach.

I finished a long distance trail a few days ago and felt as though I had to go to hospital. It just hit me as soon as I stopped cycling. Guess your core gets too hot, and if you are already dehydrated its not a good situation to be in.

So take care