Neck rest?seat angle issues

Winded Lowrider

Cruzbikers:

V20 Experts please help!

I've got about 800 miles in on my V20. I continue being frustrated with the upper back seat angle and headrest adjustment. With the stock setup, I cannot seem to get my head angle steep enough. I end up leaning backwards slightly which is unnerving, makes seeing the road awkward and throws off my sense of balance a little bit. Ive checked photos of V20 veterans and many have a very close to 90 degree neck angle. How do they do that? I'm looking down my nose at the road and bugs are flying up into the bottom of my sunglasses! (Not to mention I'm looking into the sky at rest)

My build is deep chested with sloping shoulders, long torso and a short-ish neck. My low racer's seat fits like a glove and I have no issues. The V20 seat just doesn't slope up in back at all to bring my neck near vertical . No matter how far in I put the neck rest it can't bend my head up toward 90 degrees very much at all.

I really don't want to buy a new seat and try to retro fit it to the vendetta, but I suspect that's what others have done?

Maybe if I use some wood block spacers to raise the back 8" of the seat? maybe cut the last 8" of seat then wedge it up?

Anyone solve this issue?

-Brad

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Hey - I taped some padding to the top of my headrest like this...I also needed my head a little more vertical and I didn’t like my lower neck coming in contact with the base of the headrest.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
1) Off the bike slide the headrest as far out as it can go.

2) Sit on bike and hold your head where you want it to be.

3) Have someone else slide the headrest in until it connects with your head / neck

4) Mark the head rest position with tape on the pipe where it goes into frame.

5) get off bike

6) tighten

7) Test

Most everyone has the head rest inward too much causing the head/face to look at the sky.

This is a alot easier if you have an indoor trainer to hold it while you adjust

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
After you do all that. Then get a new seat. I'm kidding but it worked wonders for me. The upward curve of the shoulders seems to be the key. Of course you'll still need a headrest and another seat pad so you're looking at $400 but for a nearly $5000 bike you need to be comfortable and efficient whatever it takes.

Rods

Brad, I had the same problem. The solution for me was the new seat, also. I used the rubber block mount method found in this forum somewhere. An added benefit is how much it soaks up bumps and vibrations.
As many riders who seem to require the more curved seat back, maybe Cruzbike needs to offer it as an option.
Cruzbikers:

V20 Experts please help!

I've got about 800 miles in on my V20. I continue being frustrated with the upper back seat angle and headrest adjustment. With the stock setup, I cannot seem to get my head angle steep enough. I end up leaning backwards slightly which is unnerving, makes seeing the road awkward and throws off my sense of balance a little bit. Ive checked photos of V20 veterans and many have a very close to 90 degree neck angle. How do they do that? I'm looking down my nose at the road and bugs are flying up into the bottom of my sunglasses! (Not to mention I'm looking into the sky at rest)

My build is deep chested with sloping shoulders, long torso and a short-ish neck. My low racer's seat fits like a glove and I have no issues. The V20 seat just doesn't slope up in back at all to bring my neck near vertical . No matter how far in I put the neck rest it can't bend my head up toward 90 degrees very much at all.

I really don't want to buy a new seat and try to retro fit it to the vendetta, but I suspect that's what others have done?

Maybe if I use some wood block spacers to raise the back 8" of the seat? maybe cut the last 8" of seat then wedge it up?

Anyone solve this issue?

-Brad

Winded Lowrider

Leif: That foam looks like a good cheap solution. I keep making different foam shapes looking for the right way to nudge my skull up and forward. I will keep trying...
Ratz: There is no "sliding" of the headrest. Pounding it in or wrestling it out is more like it. It fits very snuggly. I've had it mostly out and almost all the way in and half way. I'm not a hunchback, but I have a distinct curve in my upper spine. I'm not short (6 foot) but my legs are long, my torso is long and my neck is short. The adjustable head rest option looks super clunky... I'm a designer so a more "elegant" solution is what I'm looking for ;-)
Gary123 and Rods: I get your point. A new seat that actually fits my back might be necessary. Thor makes a reasonably priced seat that fits me well. I put one on my Rans Stratus XC MT bike

Soo... to recap
1) Foam block on top of head rest to change head angle
2) Try with the head rest all the way out again...
3) Rubber blocks to change seat angle
4) New seat ( thor seat?)
5) Adjustable headrest ( clunky)

Thanks for the responses, I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to...
-Brad

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Cruzbike also makes another neck-rest option that attaches to the headrest frame. $60. They call it the Suspension Adjustable Headrest: http://cruzbike.com/suspension-adjustable-headrest

Personally as a short person, I had to cut about an inch out of the headrest frame and put it back together. This does not sound like something you would need to do however.

One other option is to get a tube-bender and bend the vertical section of the frame to match what you need. Of course just adding padding to fit also works.
I have needed more lumbar than the stock Cruzbike seat gives me so, I just made an insert out of rigid foam and tape it to my seat. Works great.
I have also set up a video recorder perpendicular to the bike so I can see for myself what it looks like with different options and how sliding forward and backward even affects everything.

This all takes time Brad - but you are going about it the right way. Keep trying different things until it feels great! Good Luck!

Winded Lowrider

Thanks Larry! That head rest looks a lot less clunky. If I was fairly certain it would work I would go that route. Hmm....

I will try a foam block insert to wedge up the upper third of the seat. If that feels better then I will take another shot at the headrest adjustment. I find that the seat fit really influences power output on a recumbent. Good fit = significantly more power....especially important uphill

I will report back...in case anyone cares to follow my process.

Winded Lowrider

Gary123: Maybe, Its been modified greatly to fit the StratusXC. I'm sure I could make it work, but that project bike is ready to ride gravel and dirt trails with my 13yo son who just got a new dual suspension MT bike.... YeeHa!

Certainly a thor seat will work for me on the Vendetta. It's the additional cost that bugs me on a new multi thousand dollar super bike that should be great right out of the box. If I was not already a believer in the cruzbike design and a veteran recumbent rider, I would have sent the vendetta back already asking for a refund.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I've also got a stratus a really cool fun bike. Understand your dilemma. Kind of surprised you're running Thor seat on it instead of stock. I love to do light trails on mine.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Certainly a thor seat will work for me on the Vendetta. It's the additional cost that bugs me on a new multi thousand dollar super bike that should be great right out of the box. If I was not already a believer in the cruzbike design and a veteran recumbent rider, I would have sent the vendetta back already asking for a refund.
Your time spent dialing it in will be well worth it!

Winded Lowrider

Staring into the sky.JPG
I'm still staring at the sky! This photo from today's ride is with the boom in. I tried a foam block to prop my head up. The position was great for seeing the road but it hurt like hell. Just a few degrees forward toward vertical solves alot of my issues with this bike. Now I just have to find a way to achieve that position comfortably supported.

ratz

Hi Brad,

Yeah a picture....

Ok so, thats too far forward by a lot. The neck rest is causing you to push your shoulders forward and up; and it's forcing your face skyward.
It's also getting you head higher than necessary and into the air wash which will cost you speed. Not to mention feel out of control.

Optimal is going to feel a lot more double chin generating than that.

Back it out 5cm and re-test you might need as much at 10cm. Also lengthen your helmet straps so the correct head position doesn't choke you, it's common to be surprised by that. Your fit on the bike looks like me and my headrest pipes do come even close to touching the top of the seat.

ratz

Isn't he also going to need a different helmet that won't contact headrest.

Yes Possible. That Giro can be rotated forward on the head so it contact the sunglasses and still be very effective. Maria rode a similar model on RAAM in the high heat; and it still provide good protect for recumbent style crashes.