Neck rest?seat angle issues

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Yes I can see room for rotation forward now. With my seat mod on v I'm sure I'm higher and my head is in "air wash" more but I can see where I'm going and enjoying the ride much more. Last night I rode after dark successfully for the first time. I usually take rans stratus after dark.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Gary123: Maybe, Its been modified greatly to fit the StratusXC. I'm sure I could make it work, but that project bike is ready to ride gravel and dirt trails with my 13yo son who just got a new dual suspension MT bike.... YeeHa!

Certainly a thor seat will work for me on the Vendetta. It's the additional cost that bugs me on a new multi thousand dollar super bike that should be great right out of the box. If I was not already a believer in the cruzbike design and a veteran recumbent rider, I would have sent the vendetta back already asking for a refund.

I know you don't want to hear this because I'm sure you are already aware but most DF riders who buy bikes that cost over $5000 still need to change out the saddle to their favorite $200-300 saddle of choice. If there's something to really complain about it's that there aren't any options for other seats that bolt strait on like in the DF world, small market with no standards options.

Also I too went the Thor seat route, best decision ever.

Last edited:

Winded Lowrider

Ratz:
Thanks for the analysis. Bear in mind that over 800 miles I've tried every position from all the way out to all the way in. Due to genetics and too many push ups my shoulders drop forward. My chest is 40" which is large for my frame. My back is rounded. The seat is not curved up in back so what happens is that my back curve pivots my upper body backwards. In the picture the neck rest is providing the upward curve that my back /neck needs but it is not up to the job and definitely not comfortable. I will try as per your instructions and see what happens. Not optimistic, but at this point I will try anything...

Gary 123: Helmet seems fine, no issues with contact. even with adding foam and moving it in and out.

I wonder if a seat mod to bridge the flat upper seat with the neck rest would work for me. Solid foam or even a plywood sloped block might help?!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ratz:
Thanks for the analysis. Bear in mind that over 800 miles I've tried every position from all the way out to all the way in. Due to genetics and too many push ups my shoulders drop forward. My chest is 40" which is large for my frame. My back is rounded. The seat is not curved up in back so what happens is that my back curve pivots my upper body backwards. In the picture the neck rest is providing the upward curve that my back /neck needs but it is not up to the job and definitely not comfortable. I will try as per your instructions and see what happens. Not optimistic, but at this point I will try anything...

Gary 123: Helmet seems fine, no issues with contact. even with adding foam and moving it in and out.

I wonder if a seat mod to bridge the flat upper seat with the neck rest would work for me. Solid foam or even a plywood sloped block might help?!

Yes you could use some stiff foam create and Thor like arc on the upper back area. If you do this the stock headrest will most likely not be high enough anymore and you'll need to use a spring plate style headrest to get the need position. Thor makes a new headrest similar to what some of us use, also cruzbike adjustable headrest would also work to feel that gap but would become useless if you wanted to ditch the stock headrest tubes.

Like you I was frustrated with the stock seat and headrest but was reluctant to chance wasting a bunch of money on stuff they may not help. How many times have we as riders bought a DF saddle only to find out after a few rides it's not the one for me. Luckily I was able to find someone about 200 miles away with a few Thor seats that let me borrow one for a couple weeks. I messed around with it for a week while fabricating my own headrest to work with it then ordered a Thor of my own. Without borrowing the seat who knows how long I would have remained skeptical.

Winded Lowrider

RojoRacing:
Yeah, I get it. You gotta do what it takes to get the fit right. Pro cyclists are constantly adjusting things. My best friend worked for Cannondale for years and he had to make many prototype parts for fussy racers. Constant attempts at improvement. It can be an expensive hobby.

Having said that...The designer and customer in me thinks that Cruzbike's achilles heel is the seat. Other recumbent companies have pretty much figured the seat out. People buy recumbents for speed and comfort, so the seat needs to have some way to adjust to the rider.

I agree that after 10,000 adjustments and hacks on the stock seat, I will probably have to get a Thor seat ( and a new head rest and cover). Not looking forward to having that conversation with my wife about the added cost ;-) for my "fun toy". Thank you for giving me the straight reality of what I need to do. I hope there is a how to video on youtube for mounting a thor seat on a vendetta V20....

I do have a plywood seat from my stalled out Plywood MBB/FWD prototype bike that fits me like a glove. It would take alot of finish work to bring it up to the level of the Vendetta. Mounting it would be a real challenge. I too lazy/busy to do that now

I do appreciate your insights. Thank you

Attachments

• FWD:MBB-Osprey.JPG
    FWD:MBB-Osprey.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 45

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
No mounting video but there's a detail thread on here titled "vendetta seat mod" or something with lots of pictures. @ratz was also supposedly working on developing some kind of kit for dummy proof retrofitting but he's still working on it between other things.

Winded Lowrider

So... I got clearance from the boss for a seat upgrade. What should I order from Thor?

Sport GS carbon, with a classic Ventisit cover? comfort cover?

Mounting hardware?

What headrest do folks run with this seat?

What do you recommend?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok that makes more sense now Brad, info is king.

and Jason I think we can let the cat out of the bag.....

I do have the fittings done, two blocks based on Rick's work; 2 bolts, 2 new holes in the frame; and some velcro. On the newer frame the top wings do have to be removed but I'm told that really a non issue structurally. I have this installed on two test bikes mine and the wifes. Nothing fancy really just doing the obvious.

I'm waiting on a Large seat from Greg @ Thor with some subtle modifications to the length. I will use that to verify if the medium and large seat can use a universal mounting solution.

Note this solution is compatible with the existing tail-box and accessories as it allows the exiting headrest to become a removal accessory mount that you setup based on the ride. (I actually have extra ones so I have preconfigured swappable setups. 3 minutes to change over which is cool)

From there it's a few beta testers to see that it works in a repeatable manner. After that it likely to go the path of the bottle holder and the rojo clamp. Aka if I do it right it can be officially endorse

Brad if you can hang in until I get the Large seat from Greg (eta is a week or two IIRC) and complete my test I think I can get you a path to what you truly want. I've been training indoors on the Thor mounted this way for 6 weeks; results are good and I'm riding a Medium with NO PAD and it's luxuriously comfortable. I took my out of shape butt outdoors and did a hill climb test; and out of shape I made it to the top of our 1 mile 6-14% grade without ever sitting up or running out of breath. That was barely possible on the flat seat in complete good shape.

My general conclusion is that for a flat race or a track race the stock seat is more aero and faster. On an uphill race with the Aero advantage diminished the Thor seat is providing better power/wieght output and is the superior solution.

Verifying that this isn't N=1 results is really the next step.

ratz

So... I got clearance from the boss for a seat upgrade. What should I order from Thor?

Sport GS carbon, with a classic Ventisit cover? comfort cover?

Mounting hardware?

What headrest do folks run with this seat?

What do you recommend?

Ah you posted right as I was posting as well. I can pull you into my process in private channel as we can work you as the proof of repeatability. This will get you the info sooner and up and running sooner. These seats are expensive so I've been holding back info that might lead people to get the wrong seat or ruin it and I haven't had the time to do a lot of public back and forth. (high side of caution, don't want to over promise)

I'll email Greg for a status and then start a conversation with you about sizing, mounting etc. Give me <= 18 hours

Winded Lowrider

Awesome! No hurry, it's the wet season in Seattle so training moves indoors and it's a good time to make tricky position mods.

Your comment about power output rings true. I'll take power output over aero advantage. If I need a track time/trial bike I have the Zox lowracer for that. The V is supposed to be my road bike/hill climber.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I've got poc seat simply drilled two holes to match front wings put foam to fill gap between frame and seat drilled holes in seat back for two heavy duty zip ties to go thru seat and around main frame. Headrest is made from flat two inch aluminum with old cb seat bottom attached to motorcycle license tag curved to fit.. my neck. Ratz's figure 8s we're a snap after seat install instead of an exercise of chance (willy make it). Now I'm comfortable after a couple of hours on the bike and plan to increase ride time as I am able.

Winded Lowrider

Gary 123:

Cool It's good to hear there are folks who have made it work. Sounds like the seat made all the difference for you in handling. I'm amazed I mastered the bike with the seat fit issues as they are for me. A slight improvement in fit yields huge rewards in handling.

ratz

I've got poc seat simply drilled two holes to match front wings put foam to fill gap between frame and seat drilled holes in seat back for two heavy duty zip ties to go thru seat and around main frame. Headrest is made from flat two inch aluminum with old cb seat bottom attached to motorcycle license tag curved to fit.. my neck. Ratz's figure 8s we're a snap after seat install instead of an exercise of chance (willy make it). Now I'm comfortable after a couple of hours on the bike and plan to increase ride time as I am able.
That's great. The next goal is to make the "Grabbing the drill" a non terrifying experience for everyone.. image if the frame shipped with the extra holes. and the seat was pre-drilled.