Need a Silvio right brifter

Fell over, broke the housing. Anyone have a spare right I can buy? Stuck in second gear for now. SRAM Rivals.

Also - is it necessary for the brifters to stick out so far? I think it might be better for something else to take the brunt if my clumsies, and preferably not me.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For the stick too far out solution these bars will solve that.

Gary Sweep OS
http://www.origin8.bike/product-description/?prod_model_uid=9918

The brifters when installed on these the brifters are protected by the outside of the handle bar. You can still smack them like any bike but they are much more protected than the stock bars. These are almost as wide as the stock ones but with a more Aero sensible orientation. I still prefer the Gary2 myself but it's not available in 31.8mm and it's also narrower. The Sweep would be a fine upgrade even for most Clydesdales.

I will takes some photos tonight when I finish work and add them.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Gary Sweeps' on a Silvio
Interesting...looking at the those photos and the product images at the online stores, I would have not recognized those as being the same thing. In the stores images, the bars look like they have no weep at all. And are very much similar to the Junebug bars I'm using on my V.

17821995732_0d9a844f42_b.jpg

17636985618_71ac327ce8_b.jpg

Last edited:

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Tks ratz. Tried a different bar on my Sofrider (Soma Junebug, comes in 31.8) to see if it would do for the V or S but the Gary 2 is much much better so hoping to use that. The Sweep OS looks similar in shape but is a lot wider (610mm for Sweep vs 530mm for Gary2, just over 3in) at the ends. The Gary feels just right so it's good to hear shimmimg works ok.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear "Mr Gadget Man" could you please take a photo from the side, PLEASE!!

Are there any dimensions of them, as the website has none.
What is the max centre line width at the bar ends?

I am looking for something in 31.8 mm clamp area that is very similar to my WTB Dirt Drops that I have on my Silvio V1.0, 440 mm CL to CL at brake area, 550 mm bar end CL to CL, 127 drop, 110 reach, 150 flat grip area at bar ends, as the drop bars I installed on the Quest (Salsa Woodchipper) were too wide at 650 mm Bar end CL to CL, and I needed to shorten them!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The Sweep OS looks similar in shape but is a lot wider (610mm for Sweep vs 530mm for Gary2, just over 3in) at the ends.
You are correct. The Sweeps LOOK enormous on the bike and very open, makes them a great option for the bigger riders. The Gary2 that I have on the vendetta make it feel very "Sports Car-ish" the Sweeps on the Silvio make it feel very "Sedan-ish" but that's because I'm 30lbs smaller than when I got them in fall. The way my Silvio now gets used that's fine.

The big difference between the gary and the sweep; is that the sweep goes all the way out and makes almost a 90 degree turn. The Gary2 go out from the bend at about a 40-45 degree angle. So the sweep has a-lot more room for a big thigh on the back stroke of the pedaling motion.

Dear "Mr Gadget Man" could you please take a photo from the side, PLEASE!!
Youbetcha, it was like 2am when I quick do those; I'll throw a ruler on them and do both the Gary2 and the Sweep tonight. I have a pair of un-used sweeps in the shop and if I did I might have pair of stock bars; if I do I can photo the comparisons.

It should be noted that on all of these bars I have cut the ends off the drops. I like about a one hand width past the brifter; without doing that the all have far far too much drop to work well.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The Sweep OS bars work very well. The Salsa Woodchipper bars are what I am using personally - with 1.5" cut off each end.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Yes I see what you mean about the ramps of the Sweep vs the Gary. The Sweep may be worth a try. I am going to wind up with a handlebar collection to be proud of when I get through!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
For better or worse I look at handlebars from a different perspective. Here are Gary2's on a Silvio 1.5. Odd in appearance but very ergonomic, comfortable, and allow for a relaxed grip when resting the hands on the inner curve of the hooks. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm contemplating putting a pair of Ergon grips on my drop ends. They will look odd but I don't care if they improve my ride.

With the drops pointed down on the V20, I find I have to work at gripping the bars to keep from sliding off. I have a bar end mirror on the left and the post gives me a place to rest my hand. The Ergon G2s and G3s with the small posts are a better version of this concept. And they feel great in my hands. The larger grip surface matches my larger hands much more comfortably than a bar with bar tape. And the small post is adjustable. I may need to trim them to allow for the bar curve but think they will work. And if they help me relax my hands, my riding will improve.

As a short term solution, I bought a couple of cheap bar end mirrors to take the brunt of any future drops. $15 < $120. I appreciate the bar change idea, but I want to get used to the bike as is and decide what I like/don't like before making major changes :)

Super glued brifter is mostly shifting as I ask it, though it occasionally fights me for control. New one is in the mail. I may wait until after I've put clipless pedals on and gotten more comfortable clipping in and out before changing it out - just in case. The new pedals should be in today or tomorrow - shipping delay.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'm contemplating putting a pair of Ergon grips on my drop ends. They will look odd but I don't care if they improve my ride.
Abbott, the Ergon's inside dia is too small to slide over the road bike drop bars. I've used the Ergon on other bents and MTB's I've owned. They are indeed very comfy. For the drop bars, you can do layers of bar tape in the areas you want extra padding. It took me a little while to get used to the feel of drop bars. And a little bit of adjusting to find a sweet spot. I found a place on the bars just up into the first curve to rest my hands that's pretty comfortable for me. I also have access to the shifting and braking without moving my hands.

It's my opinion with the design of the road bike, is to make it un-comfotable as possible...hard seat, hard handle bars, seat way up in the air, bent over as far as possible, then bend neck up to add more pain...:D:D:D!

Abbott, the Ergon's inside dia is too small to slide over the road bike drop bars. I've used the Ergon on other bents and MTB's I've owned. They are indeed very comfy. For the drop bars, you can do layers of bar tape in the areas you want extra padding. It took me a little while to get used to the feel of drop bars. And a little bit of adjusting to find a sweet spot. I found a place on the bars just up into the first curve to rest my hands that's pretty comfortable for me. I also have access to the shifting and braking without moving my hands.

It's my opinion with the design of the road bike, is to make it un-comfotable as possible...hard seat, hard handle bars, seat way up in the air, bent over as far as possible, then bend neck up to add more pain...:D:D:D!

If the Silvio gets any more comfortable, I'll have to find a way to mount my CPAP.

Grrrr... The dumb bar is too small a diameter for my hands but the diameter is too big for the inside of the Ergons. Isn't that just par for the course.:mad:

I used to ride DFs in the Dark Ages by spending all of my time on the hoods. But I can't do that on the V20. It pulls me up off the seat. I'm having to overgrip the bars just to hold on.

Reactions: joy