Need a Silvio right brifter

Grrrr... The dumb bar is too small a diameter for my hands but the diameter is too big for the inside of the Ergons. Isn't that just par for the course.:mad:

I used to ride DFs in the Dark Ages by spending all of my time on the hoods. But I can't do that on the V20. It pulls me up off the seat. I'm having to overgrip the bars just to hold on.

That was part of my thinking when I decided I wanted the bar close to me. If I want to reach for the hoods, I can still enable superman mode, but I'm not stuck that way all of the time. Once I'm more comfortable with it, I might be able to pull off hamster mode :) Hamster position is pretty tough for me at the moment - I lose a lot of leverage with my hands close together like that.

kenhardwick

Abbott,
My solution to keep from having to gripping the bars to keep from sliding off was to add the pad sections from aero bars to ends of my handlebar. These work great on my Silvio 1.5. Enjoy having a place to rest my arms as I ride. Plus, gives me great control while riding with one hand when needing to reach for water bottle, etc.

upload_2015-5-19_12-16-26.png

upload_2015-5-19_12-28-35.png

Last edited:
Abbott,
My solution to keep from having to gripping the bars to keep from sliding off was to add the pad sections from aero bars to ends of my handlebar. These work great on my Silvio 1.5. Enjoy having a place to rest my arms as I ride. Plus, gives me great control while riding with one hand when needing to reach for water bottle, etc.

View attachment 373

View attachment 374
Well that's a creative solution. Thanks for sharing. This group is definitely creative. :cool:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yes I see what you mean about the ramps of the Sweep vs the Gary. The Sweep may be worth a try. I am going to wind up with a handlebar collection to be proud of when I get through!

Badge of honor for a CBer. I'll get those comparative photos done tonight with luck.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
With the drops pointed down on the V20, I find I have to work at gripping the bars to keep from sliding off. I have a bar end mirror on the left and the post gives me a place to rest my hand.

That was part of my motivation for the flipped then rotated Gary bar configuration: I also felt like my hands could slide off the bars if I relaxed my grip a little, and especially if I hit a rough patch of road. I had them positioned like yours, with the grips pointed almost straight down since that provided the most natural wrist position, ie, straight as opposed to adducted which is what occurs with the grips in a more horizontal orientation. With the bars flipped and rotated approx 90degrees, the grip area is still straight up and down, wrist is straight (or 'neutral') and there is no feeling of possibly slipping off the end of the bar. Much more relaxing, even when taking into consideration the disappearance of the 'death grip' which comes with getting used to the fwd/mbb. Maybe that feeling of possibly slipping off the bars is an irrational fear but I had the same feeling with the Bacchetta tweener bars; i put stubby MTB bar ends on those to provide hand rests and put my squirrely mind at ease :).
Having the Gary bar end grip areas vertical seems to me to give the best ergonomic position for pushing or pulling on the bars. A Gary 2 or maybe a Gary Sweep is better than a standard road drop bar for reasons shown elsewhere and better than a Soma Junebug or Midge On One bar due to the more pronounced outward flare of their grip areas.
So, the flipped Gary 2 solved several problems for me. When I sold the Silvio 1.5 the buyer test rode it with the bars like that and liked it enough to request leaving the bars and brifters as they were. I'm most emphatically not evangelizing for that bar set up, just saying it works for me and at least one other person :)
Bob's bullhorn brifter set up looks good to me too, as does Ivan's. If I decide to add to my already extensive handlebar collection I may yet try one or both of those

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
So, the flipped Gary 2 solved several problems for me. When I sold the Silvio 1.5 the buyer test rode it with the bars like that and liked it enough to request leaving the bars and brifters as they were. I'm most emphatically not evangelizing for that bar set up, just saying it works for me and at least one other person :)
I'm still pleased with it, after more than 100 miles. :D

Anyone know the inside diameter of the stock handlebars off the top of their head? I've got a mad scientist idea but I need to know the inside diameter of the road bars and I'm nowhere near my bike.

Put a small bar end on the bar end. Not the most aero solution, but it protects the brifter and gives me more hand position options:
silvio-m.jpg

I call it "M" position, which can be either Motorcycle position (which sounds cooler) or it could be the M position from the Village People's YMCA (which sounds a lot less cool). :)

M position is fairly comfortable, and cooling - lets air flow to my armpits. Holding them, especially upside down on my right side stretches out my frozen shoulders.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I did something similar when i had a bacchetta but those bars were 22.2mm outside diameter. What bar ends are you using that will go on road bars (i'm assuming your bars are 24mm OD)?