Need help with Deraillur and Boom adjustments

thebean

Hi All,

i have to take my Silvio back to the shop today for gear and deraillur adjustments. The mechanic set the boom all the way in for my 40 inch x seam as well as put the setting in the fourth hole on the bottom. The chain is rubbing in some gears.

wouldit be best to have him call the customer service number for guidance?

thanks for your help. I don't want to leave her in the shop as I am dying to ride her again!

lisa

mickjordan

What's rubbing?

Where is the chain rubbing? The front derailleur? and which gears? There really isn't anything Cruzbike specific about derailleur adjustment, so your LBS should be able to handle it, provided the FD cable install was done correctly.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Silvio documentation links

Hi Lisa,

In case you were not aware, there are downloadable reference documents from Cruzbike.com for the Silvio (and other bikes). Click on the Bikes link, navigate to the bike in question, scroll down to below the options price list and click the Links to download specs and brochures which will expand to a list of relevant links.

In the Silvio section, there are currently 9 items linked including the current model assembly manual. On page 9 of the assembly manual are the details for adjusting rider fit. The bit about the chainstay needing to be straight is quite important. Additionally, make sure you loosen and adjust ALL of the items listed. I think it is best to loosen them all first, but not too loose, make your rider adjustments and then tighten.

In your case, based on your BROL posts, I believe you have an older 2007 model with the straight boom rather than the newer version 1.5 with the curved boom. Some of the instructions have been updated for the new model and may not apply to yours.

I test rode a used v1 Silvio like yours and declined to buy it because the seller and I were not able to make it fit me correctly. I am about 5ft 7in and the pedals remained too far away AND we had a bit of an arc on the chainstay even though we tried to eliminate it. Turns out we missed loosening the ring clamps which probably would have allowed the bike to fit and I would be riding a Silvio instead of buying a Vendetta.

-Eric

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
There is also more detail on

There is also more detail on the FD alignment in the SilvioAssemblyNotes.pdf file (See download post above) on page 9 about rider fit related to x-seam and different FD attachment points to deal with maintaining the correct chainstay angle as close to 66 degrees as possible.

You state, " The mechanic set the boom all the way in for my 40 inch x seam as well as put the setting in the fourth hole on the bottom. "

Is the fourth hole in the bottom part referencing the FD attachment point discussed in the PDF file referenced above?

If so, it sounds like you've got the bulk of the adjustments about where they should be and may just need to recheck everything and tweak or reach out to John and Doug for some of their tips for fitting shorter riders. If I understand it correctly, the curved boom for the v1.5 Silvio was introduced to help with this issue.

See John's comment here about what he needs to help you tweak rider fit:

http://cruzbike.com/silvio-v15-build-photos#comment-16209

Also, this post with pictures about adjusting the Silvio between a very short and very tall rider:

http://cruzbike.com/silvio-15-pictures#comment-15937

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Lisa,
Just send the bike and

Lisa,

Just send the bike and a life-size paper copy of you to Eric and he'll have it all tuned and sized up and ship it back. :D

Cheers,
Charles

thebean

Eric,
I am working with Doug

Eric,

I am working with Doug for a solution. He may be able to send me a part. I am super bummed that the website did not specify that the 2007 model was not designed for shorter riders, i.e., a 40 inch x seam. I checked all the specs carefully before I purchased the bike, specifically the seat height and the x seam range.

I am hoping that Doug and John will have a big heart and if a new boom will be the fix, send me one. Eric, I love this bike. I have never owned a bike where I can't wait to go for my next ride!

I always believe good things come out of an issue. Hopefully, they will correct the website so that others won't run into this problem.

thebean

Doug just emailed me and said

Doug just emailed me and said I have the updated boom (it has the four holes for the deraillur placement). I am waiting to hear back as I am still not clear if this bike will fit my 40 inch x seam. Sounds like I might have her up for sale...this is a huge disappointment

thebean

Ok, another update.  Parden

Ok, another update. Parden my posts as I am going through menopause. Dealing with this kind of stuff is really stressful for me because I am not mechanically inclined.

I spoke to Jim who shared that I should be able to get this bike to fit! I am thrilled. Hopefully we can get it tweaked.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Lisa,
I very much hope

Hi Lisa,

I very much hope this works out for you. It has been a treat watching how excited you've been with this bike and we very much want Kidney Boy's bike to find and stay in a good home. Please continue to let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Charles

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
It sounds like you are close

Hi Lisa,

The Silvio I rode was about the same year as yours but it was equipped with a SRAM groupset with a double up front. My x-seam is about 39 inches so even shorter than yours. I had trouble getting the pedal close enough at normal leg extension but it was because we didn't loosen up all of the adjustment locations. After passing on the bike the seller discovered what we had missed (he was new to the Silvio too) but at that point I had already decided to go for the Vendetta instead.

By sitting a bit forward and stretching a bit I was able to ride the Sivio and I ranged through all of the gear combinations (2x10) without any problems. In your case, you have the bike configured to fit you but that configuration is making it a bit trickier with your triple (3x10) to get everything lined up. It sounds like you are very close.

I'm with Charles on this about it being a treat to hear about your joy in riding the Silvio - perhaps more so because I feel the same way about the Silvio. I really, really liked riding the Silvio and am seriously thinking about getting one in addition to the Vendetta.

-Eric

thebean

Guys,
I cannot thank you

Guys,

I cannot thank you enough for your support! It means a lot to me, particularly since I lack mechanical ability.

It is the silliest feeling wanting to go out every day on this bike! An adrenaline rush for sure!

I have the v1.5 instructions and see on page 8 where everything should be loosened up. Kidneyboy has a 41.5 xseam, and the fit instructions say for my 40 inch xseam to put it either on the third or fourth hole. Based on issues with triples ( is this also true for the v1.5 model?) I think it is prudent to ask the mechanic to move the FD to the third hole. Doug said it could be moved, I sent Doug pictures and he said everything looks fine???? The pictures clearly show the chain in different positions on the cassette and tha the chain is rubbing on the deraillur. Perhaps he knows there may not be a solution with the triple...

Doug shared yesterday that he and John put a lot of thought into the redesigned v1.5 so it would fit shorter riders. Apparently, I represent less than 5% of the population. It sound like in five years of development, the v1.5 has seen tremendous improvements.

According to the specs on the website, if correct, it looks like a triple can be used on the v1.5. This is very good news.

I am not worried as I have a deal worked out with a dear BROL member if the bike does not work. He will be back from winter holiday in April which gives me a lot of time to play with the bike. If I can get the bike to fit, and get enough padding under my butt so it doesn't hurt (I am lean and mean at 135lbs!!), then she's a keeper.

Thanks again!

thebean

Got the bike back, and he

Got the bike back, and he moved it to the third hole. Shifting much better!!! I NEVER ride in the cold but immediately took her out for a quick 15 miles. It's a tad too long, so I think 155mm cranks will fix that. Just a joy to ride.
I am seriously thinking of buying a new 2012 Silvio. Then I would have the advantage of all of the improvements!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Lisa, I think you have two

Lisa, I think you have two issues - correct me if I am wrong:

1. Your chain was rubbing in certain gear combinations due to running a triple crank. I <i>think</i> you resolved this by your LBS moving the Front Derailleur (FD) to one of the other 4 attachment holes (or is it 3) on your boom?

2. You cannot reach the pedals correctly at your normal leg extension and are trying to determine how to shorten this measure.

If problem #1 is fixed now, it may return and need another tweak when you solve problem #2.

Questions for problem #2:

1. Did you try your 155 crankarms from your other bike?

2. Did you loosen all of the fitment points before moving everything to the shortest setting? If you don't loosen everything you may not be able to get to the current shortest fit without bowing the chainstays - which is BAD.

3. Did you check with Doug Burton to see if the trimming/filing he and John Tolhurst talked about in your Silvio 1.5 for short riders thread will work on your Silvio version?
-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
And even with Mick's

And even with Mick's description:
"The limiting factor that I found in the boom adjustment was that at a certain angle the chainstays run up against a ridge in the fork preventing the angle to be any narrower."

Can you post pictures?

Thanks! :)
Charles

3WHELZ

Guru
Triple with chain clearance issue

I also have a Silvio 1.0 and experienced a chain clearance issue with a Campy triple installed. Doug provided me with a spacer that corrected the problem. With regards to the derailleur angle issue, I had a similar problem but on the opposite end of the spectrum. For some reason at 6'2" I could not achieve the proper angle for the derailleur. I had posted a modification some time ago with pics. If it is unavailable within the archives, I can repost it.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
A Solution to your triple troubles

SRAM WiFli.

"SRAM's WiFLi&trade; Technology is based on the compact 2 x 10 - two front chainrings and 10 gears in the rear - design inherent in SRAM Apex and Rival, which delivers a wider range of gears than your standard triple, faster shifts through two chainrings and 10 gears, and with significant weight savings."

Not that I would want to stop you from buying a new Silvio, but an option that has many advantages over triples is definitely worth a look. Even if you get your problems sorted out, the 2 x 10 setup will offer much improved shifiting.

thebean

Wow, you all have wonderful

Wow, you all have wonderful suggestions. Doug sent out the spacer piece, but it was already installed in the bike.

The FD is on the third hole. The mechanic cannot put it on the forth hole as the angle with the FD does not work.

So, tomorrow, I will try extra foam behind my back to push me forward. I am really bumming tonight....I just love this bike.

Lisa. :(........