New and Improved Headrest Clamp

Robert O

:lol I like the way this guys thinks, holding product hostage has always been my go to method for riding with new people.

I still have half a dozen ready to go at the shop but I'm home for the weekend. I see your PM so go ahead and remind me on Monday and I'll ship one or two out depending on Roberts reply.

Nothing but good feedback so far from those who have received theirs. I know CruzBike is looking into mass production but for now I'll keep making them as needed. Not much to be made at $30 each but I was able to afford new brakes for the Vendetta so far and I'm very ok with that. :D
I was at work, corresponding with Lief by email. I'm in; he's handling the order, and I'll settle with him out here (we're in the same area). Nice design work, by the way; I was talking with a co-worker last night about all of the engineering and machining excellence I've seen on this forum!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Installation was a breeze; adjustment was a breeze. Road it to day on the inaugural road ride. Squeaked a little under heavy heavy efforts. I had removed the rubber sleeves from the head rest to make it all work super super easy. I'll probably put the sleeves back in with dish-soap to get them in pace and then tighten down that should solve the squeak. So far very happy with the this upgrade and I'll be doing the second bike tonight.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Installation was a breeze; adjustment was a breeze. Road it to day on the inaugural road ride. Squeaked a little under heavy heavy efforts. I had removed the rubber sleeves from the head rest to make it all work super super easy. I'll probably put the sleeves back in with dish-soap to get them in pace and then tighten down that should solve the squeak. So far very happy with the this upgrade and I'll be doing the second bike tonight.

Not sure I ever had rubber sleeves but I can picture exactly what your talking about so maybe I did and they were a PITA and I ditched them or I've seen them on another bike. The few rides I did with the clamp I didn't notice any squeaking so I wonder if anyone else is. Please let us know how adding the sleeves back in effects the adjust because that's something I never tested. Also when installing ESI(silicone) grips onto mtb bars we use isopropyl alcohol to help slide them on because it's good enough to lubricate but it will completely evaporate leaving a clean bonding surface. The other method we sometimes use on the motos is hair spray because it dries like a thin glue.

mgilles0

Wow, I put this on my Silvio 2.0. I had to drill an extra hole in the frame since 2.0's have only one clamp. OMG! I went out on a ride today and this is the very first time that my head rest has been absolutely solid with no creaking. This is a must have accessory. CruzBike should put these on new and you need to post over on the Silvio forum. Thank you! Thank you!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Wow, I put this on my Silvio 2.0. I had to drill an extra hole in the frame since 2.0's have only one clamp. OMG! I went out on a ride today and this is the very first time that my head rest has been absolutely solid with no creaking. This is a must have accessory. CruzBike should put these on new and you need to post over on the Silvio forum. Thank you! Thank you!

What did you do about the second bolt? If you didn't already I'd make sure to use the same length bolt even though a much shorter one would work as well. The extra long bolts will engage the maximum amount of threads and that can only be good when you consider we're threading into plastic. That's also the reason I ditched the heli-coils which we're only 10mm long.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Hey I just want to get a quick opinion from the group because this kind of developed beyond my original intention. Generally soliciting the sale of parts from a third party on a forum is considered spam and frowned upon because it can become a slippery slope and clutter the forum with a bunch of stuff some of us don't want. I kind of feel that the headrest clamp being what it is and being specific to the CruzBike line has fallen into a little of a grey area.

I know most here will say they are cool with me selling the clamp but I think a question needs to be asked direct because chances are I may design something else in the future and make it available to the forum members at a reasonable cost. Are you guys cool with me selling these little items as a forum as a whole?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I know most here will say they are cool with me selling the clamp but I think a question needs to be asked direct because chances are I may design something else in the future and make it available to the forum members at a reasonable cost. Are you guys cool with me selling these little items as a forum as a whole?

While things like this are in development and debug this is a fine place for them. If they are stabilized and commodity that are consistently available to buy from an individual, then I, Lucia, Robert, etc can move the thread to the for-sale area and pin it to the top. While I don't speak for the masses; they'd ping the admin team pretty fast if you got annoying. We have a lot these little projects that go on. Example if moose pockets became available in modest quantities we'd have the exact same scenario, and probably need a lottery to cope with the limited qualities. Adjusting the head-rest "on-fly" has always been unworkable; you keep solving problems like that; the community we let you know if you become a nuisance :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
While things like this are in development and debug this is a fine place for them. If they are stabilized and commodity that are consistently available to buy from an individual, then I, Lucia, Robert, etc can move the thread to the for-sale area and pin it to the top. While I don't speak for the masses; they'd ping the admin team pretty fast if you got annoying. We have a lot these little projects that go on. Example if moose pockets became available in modest quantities we'd have the exact same scenario, and probably need a lottery to cope with the limited qualities. Adjusting the head-rest "on-fly" has always been unworkable; you keep solving problems like that; the community we let you know if you become a nuisance :)

The only issue with the for sale area is the only people who look there are the ones in need of something specific so someone like myself forgets we even have a for sale area. I think the headrest clamp ended up being something everyone didn't know they wanted until it slapped them in the face. So per @mgilles0 request to spread the word to the Silvio owners should I start a thread in the Silvio forum or maybe start a thread in the for sale area then another in the Silvio area just to say hey you guys with a Silvio may want to check this out? Or maybe just move this current thread to the cruzbike community forum so more people see it? I just want to make sure everyone gets a fair chance to see there's an option out there.

On a related Silvio note I guess I will include a second bolt for those bike who only used one from the factory. What year or version of the Vendetta also need a second bolt?

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
The only issue with the for sale area is the only people who look there are the ones in need of something specific so someone like myself forgets we even have a for sale area. I think the headrest clamp ended up being something everyone didn't know they wanted until it slapped them in the face. So per @mgilles0 request to spread the word to the Silvio owners should I start a thread in the Silvio forum or maybe start a thread in the for sale area then another in the Silvio area just to say hey you guys with a Silvio may want to check this out? Or maybe just move this current thread to the cruzbike community forum so more people see it? I just want to make sure everyone gets a fair chance to see there's an option out there.

On a related Silvio note I guess I will include a second bolt for those bike who only used one from the factory. What year or version of the Vendetta also need a second bolt?
This post confirms your intent, and your heart, in this matter. No worries!

If I were to have come up with something as great as your seat clamp, I would shout from the rooftops until moderated!

mgilles0

What did you do about the second bolt? If you didn't already I'd make sure to use the same length bolt even though a much shorter one would work as well. The extra long bolts will engage the maximum amount of threads and that can only be good when you consider we're threading into plastic. That's also the reason I ditched the heli-coils which we're only 10mm long.
I had a second bolt on hand the same length. Just lucky, I guess. I saw that the original hole on the frame was somewhat worn so I used thin washers under the bolt heads. Two bolts should distribute the stress more evenly.

mgilles0

We really don't have a large quantity of postings in any of these CruzBike forums. I would vote for a note about this on the Silvio forum and then also in the for sale area--depending on how many you actually want to produce. I am okay with experiments and solutions by users being in the forums instead of in the for sale area. In online forums for other enthusiasms, I have found that the for sale areas tend to not have much dialogue, whereas the regular forums are more interactive. I am not certain of where the line gets drawn here. I also do not quite understand the difference between the regular Silvio and Vendetta forums and the "brag" forums.

Ivan_Liew

@RojoRacing, could you send me one of those too and I pay you via PayPal? I would need to pay a bit more for shipping to Singapore. I am on a Silvio 2.0 with only one bolt and @mgilles0 exuberant review has pushed me over the edge!

@mgilles0 - why don't you post a little review on the Silvio page then it's clearly a user sharing good stuff and not @RojoRacing spamming? I think many Silvio owners peep over to the Vendetta yard cos many things are common. I'm glad I have my order in for one set!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@RojoRacing...I pmed you a while back...any news on when I can get one of these?

Sorry I'm not exactly up and up on my PMs right now. My broken hand and its in a cast right now and my other hand with a gimp thumb have basically left me lame for the last few weeks. I just need a bit more time to heal up and work on getting those parts out. Sorry for making everyone wait :(

Last edited: