new blog about new Silvio

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I'm looking at those pictures

I'm looking at those pictures and I can hear Lisa squealing with joy and jumping up and down... :D

thebean

BRILLIANT redesign!  Now that

BRILLIANT redesign! Now that is one sleek and sexy bike! John, amazing job, this is so exciting!!!

John, what is the new seat angle and I imagine it is still fixed? And the big question, will it fit my small x seam of 37.5"? I want this little gal to fit me like a glove!

thebean

Ha!  I know, that lovely

Ha! I know, that lovely lemon yellow will look good on her. Guys, much smoother lines on her, holy kamoly! Actually, I think the silver stem and fork would look really nice on her too! The black looks awesome, but if you can't tell from my personality, I am a colorful person! :)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Ha!  I know, that lovely

Ha! I know, that lovely lemon yellow will look good on her. Guys, much smoother lines on her, holy kamoly! Actually, I think the silver stem and fork would look really nice on her too! The black looks awesome, but if you can't tell from my personality, I am a colorful person! :)

I agree completely. The Silvio is evolving very nicely as quite a looker. And, colorful (in an extremely positive way) is exactly the word I'd use to describe you, LIsa! :D

thebean

One of the guys just posted

One of the guys just posted on the blog and believes the seat angle is 33 degrees. My heart just sank to my feet. With a herniated disc in my neck this will be far too reclined for me...unless the seat is adjustable... :(.......

Weight Differents

Hi John,

Will there be any weight saving with the new frame over the old? I, like Lisa hope the seat back has a little adjustment in it as ~33* is a litlle low for Me. I rode My Ti-Aero set abot ~33-35* angle and still had a litle trouble getting My feet down at stops unless I setup in the seat. If the seat is that low I my look for a 1.5 ver. frame set to get the higher seat angle.

steve

unc99

Looks great!  I have a Silvio

Looks great! I have a Silvio and have always wished there was a model in between the somewhat upright Silvio and extreme reclined Vendetta---looks like this will be it. Looks nice too.

Bean--this may not help your cause, but looks like the new Silvio will come with a built in headrest. Also, I recall seeing that others have added padding to decrease the recline on the Vendetta, so that might work here too. Of course, the current model is still a great bike so it might not be worth the trouble.

thebean

Yes, it is amazing what extra

Yes, it is amazing what extra padding can do, as I have done this with my current Silvio for a better fit! It's amazing what how a little thickness goes so far!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Silvio 2.0. Serious alround "Road" bike. Period.

To answer the forum member called "thebean", about the 33 to 38 degees seat angle, you need not worry becuase the new silvio design means it's possible to adjust it, within some limitted range by using washers and extra padding. This is something that John can easily incorporate in the package for 2.0.

It is impossible to design a bike that meets all the requirements for 100% of riders out there, but John, actually has "hit the nail on the head" on this one IMO. Let me repeat what I posted on the blog herr for the convenince of those that reading this section:
What John has done to Silvio 2.0 is more than just seat angle people. I see five main advantages and improvements over the 1.5

1. The lower seat angle means that the hands will be placed further away from the kneeshence reducing or eliminating the possibility of the knee striking the handle bar. Big +++
  2. The lower seat angle, approx 33 to 38 degres by my estimates, will eliminate or reduce the likelhood of the recumbent butt issue for the heavier riders, some of whom have reported this in the forums
  3. This bike is more aero and yet suspended. This is an all round road bike. This is a serious bike. period.
  4. Since the seat is in two parts and detachable, with some washers or spacers it possible to "lift" the seat back part to achieve 45 degrees for those that want the "classic" silvio angle. Probably John may consider including these "washers/spacers" in the package.
  5. Disc brakes!!! Now this bike can have powerfull disc brakes

If I had the money, the Silvio 2.0 is the bike to get. JT is a design genious.
silvio-2_0-1_5-overlay.png ; height: 530px;

unc99

Good insights ak-tux....looks

Good insights ak-tux....looks very positive. I'm wondering if the new model will come in different sizes like the newer Vendettas.

thebean

Ak-tux,
Thank you for your

Ak-tux,

Thank you for your insightful comments! I don't know who you are, but obviously you have a great understanding of design.

Funny you mention knee strike and recumbutt, and this have been two minor issues for me with the 2007 Silvio I own. When I saw the new seat position, I knew the recumbutt issue could be immediately resolved. Also, Bacchetta sells an extra thick seat foam which I know will sit me up further. I don't need the 45 degree angle so if I am close, I know I will be fine.

My last and final concern will be fit. Firecracker on this forum had to have her v1.5 custom fitted to her as she has a short x seam like I do around 38". With the longer wheelbase and more recline, I really hope I can get a glove like fit.

thebean

Unc99,
you make a great point

Unc99,

you make a great point about different sizes. Two reasons for this. If there is one size, due to my height, the bottom bracket height is going to get mighty high. The other reason is obvious, to fit a better range of x seams.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I agree with Ak-tux.  Before

I agree with Ak-tux. Before recumbents, I never liked suspension. But after Cruzbikes, I'd have a hard(er) time going back. I do wonder how much the seat angle can be changed (on BROL, one member used air compressor cuffs to be able to slightly change his seat angle while he was riding).

Oh, yeah. It is prettier, too. :)

I would like to see the ability to put on wider tires (and eventually disc brakes)...

thebean

Charles,
Disc brakes on a

Charles,

Disc brakes on a sleek road bike? I know Europeans run disc brakes on their bikes due to weather. To me it would be a crime to put disc brakes on such a beautiful bike!!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Lisa,
I weight

Hi Lisa,

I weight significantly :)P) more than you do. When I'm going to be cruzing down those hills at 50 mph (I've hit 42 on my Sofrider, probably higher), having disc brakes is not such a bad idea.

Don't worry, she'll still be pretty. (All race cars and motorbikes have disc brakes...) :D

Cheers,
Charles

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
thebean,
I 'am not a

thebean,

I 'am not a designer, but I have some engineering background to my education. I also homebuilt my own bike by looking at the cruzbike design, mostly becuase I could not afford a cruzbike. I however follow this forum with interest, and maybe one day I will afford a Silvio-2.x.

For my bike, I only needed to make sure it fits me but in the process I learnt alot about the challenges that a designer like John has to grapple with.

In this recummbent design, technically referred to as th MBB FWD, it is very challenging to achieve an optimal position for the hands and knees. This is becuase the upper body involvement in the ride is very unique to this design. Then add to this the ability to fit a wide range of rider heights. This is no small task.

Generally, the goal it to get a person to ride with relatively straight arms as then, the bike rides with more stability and power. Consequently, the key is to get the knees and handlebars not to collide, while the torso remains in a comfortable and aerodynamic position. If you look at this new Silvio it gets very close to achieving all these goals while retaining a sofisticated suspension and compatibilty with highend road bike componentry.

Indeed the Vendetta also achieves this with a more extreme/radical aero position and, more importantly, without suspension.